Main Menu

Steven Wilson - Harmony Codex

Started by pxr5, August 29, 2023, 12:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

I've played it 3 times now. First impressions are good. The first 3 tracks are the weakest for me and it get's better from Impossible Tightrope onwards. It sounds excellent, as you'd expect from a Steven Wilson album, but as much as I like bass it sounds a little boomy at times (probably synthetic rather than a bass guitar). For now it is better than TFB, but not up to Raven or Grace standards - yet.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Thenop

Still waiting for the vinyl to arrive ::)

Edit: now received :-)

captainkurtz

Miles better than his last dog of a record, but the title track goes on for too long and the spoken word bits (by his wife?) are a bit pretentious..

Thenop

Quote from: captainkurtz on September 30, 2023, 11:00:49 PMMiles better than his last dog of a record, but the title track goes on for too long and the spoken word bits (by his wife?) are a bit pretentious..

It's Steven Wilson, I'd be shocked if it wasn't a tad pretentious.
I need to digest, upon first listen I'm not that impressed. There's a few standouts, the Tightrope song I like, but overall? Maybe it needs to grow.

Nick

Staircase is the best track for me.

David L

Quote from: Thenop on October 01, 2023, 06:07:25 AM
Quote from: captainkurtz on September 30, 2023, 11:00:49 PMMiles better than his last dog of a record, but the title track goes on for too long and the spoken word bits (by his wife?) are a bit pretentious..

It's Steven Wilson, I'd be shocked if it wasn't a tad pretentious.

Indeed

captainkurtz

Listened to it again.
His influences are very clear - Thom Yorke, Trent Reznor, Massive Attack.

Still, apart from the title track and the voiceovers (I keep expecting Derek Smalls to pipe in about Stonehenge) it's pretty good.

Where's the tour at?

captainkurtz

Wonder if the situation in Gaza/Israel has completely derailed whatever plans might have been in place post release?  Big build up...release...then radio silence.

dom

Really enjoying this. Much more than I did Closure/Continuation

pxr5

Quote from: captainkurtz on October 18, 2023, 09:24:28 PMWonder if the situation in Gaza/Israel has completely derailed whatever plans might have been in place post release?  Big build up...release...then radio silence.
Maybe right, he does have links to Israel -  https://twitter.com/StevenWilsonHQ/status/1713622971422752894?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

pxr5

Quote from: dom on October 18, 2023, 10:19:04 PMReally enjoying this. Much more than I did Closure/Continuation
Yes me too. I thought C/C was a bit stale.

David L

Quote from: pxr5 on October 18, 2023, 10:29:39 PM
Quote from: captainkurtz on October 18, 2023, 09:24:28 PMWonder if the situation in Gaza/Israel has completely derailed whatever plans might have been in place post release?  Big build up...release...then radio silence.
Maybe right, he does have links to Israel -  https://twitter.com/StevenWilsonHQ/status/1713622971422752894?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
What a sensible comment he makes here on the current situation