Luis Ribiales

Started by Slim, August 26, 2023, 12:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Anyone else finding the indignation and outrage over Luis Ribales kissing Jenni Hermoso a bit ridiculous?

It's actually front page news on the BBC News site as I type, as you'd expect - I'm sure they're only disappointed that Jenni isn't black; if she was the story would run for weeks.

The gender baiters and perpetual offence takers are trying to turn this into Spain's "Me Too" moment. Literally equating an innocuous peck on the lips in public with Harvey Weinstein exerting improper pressure over young women to have sex with him.

This perpetual virtue-signalling victim culture so beloved of the BBC and others .. it really gets on my tits.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

I did think it was all a bit of a storm in a teacup to start.. he then apologised which I thought was fine that should settle it.. but then the more I hear from him and this crotch grabbing nonsense .. I think he's just probably guilty of being a bit of a prick...
From The Land of Honest Men

Nickslikk2112

Yup the Beeb are completely over the top on this, it's not the most important News story in the world.

He'd probably have done the same if Spain's Men's team had won the World Cup, these Mediterranean types...

Thenop

Suppose this is a longer growing conflict between players & the powers that be. Previous players for the national team (femake) refused to work with the (male) manager who insisted they kept their doors open at night so he could 'check whether they were in their room sleeping'.

I have a general dislike towards people in power positions that misuse it, male or female.

The Picnic Wasp

Is he married? Is his wife even bothered?

Thenop

Fishy

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on August 26, 2023, 04:11:37 PMIs he married? Is his wife even bothered?

No but his boyfriend's not happy..
From The Land of Honest Men

Matt2112

I watched the final, which Spain deservedly won, and the presentations etc and it did cross my mind that his exuberant hugging and kissing of the players and staff - which included kisses to the males amongst them - would set off some trip wires.  But not to the extent it has.

It seems another example of the culture police stoking embers just so they can be seen to be putting out the resultant fires.

All the biggest battles have been won, most people know that; still, there are those who seem to be suffering from what Douglas Murray calls "St George In Retirement Syndrome"; he's bang on.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Thenop on August 26, 2023, 04:13:26 PM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on August 26, 2023, 04:11:37 PMIs he married? Is his wife even bothered?
How is that relevant?

Because it doesn't seem that big a deal. Cringey, inappropriate, tacky and all the other yucky adjectives you care to throw at it, but it was carried out in the full glare of publicity and he obviously wasn't trying to get away with anything. Seems a bit of an idiot.

pxr5

A storm in a tea cup maybe but the guy is a cock and the fact he thinks it was a nothing issue shows how out of touch he is. Would he have done that to a male player? Well, maybe know these Mediterranean types as Nick says. Anyway he's suspended by FIFA now.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Thenop

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on August 26, 2023, 06:23:58 PM
How is that relevant?

Because it doesn't seem that big a deal. Cringey, inappropriate, tacky and all the other yucky adjectives you care to throw at it, but it was carried out in the full glare of publicity and he obviously wasn't trying to get away with anything. Seems a bit of an idiot.

I see. All of what you said indeed, but mainly it feels like this character and many more like him have a sense of entitlement that has no limit. When confronted with his behavior, instead of admitting being an obvious twat, he seems to think he needs to blame someone else for it.

Anyway, what should have been a celebration for the athletes has once again turned into, what actually? Seems a shame.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Thenop on August 26, 2023, 07:39:55 PM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on August 26, 2023, 06:23:58 PM
How is that relevant?

I see. All of what you said indeed, but mainly it feels like this character and many more like him have a sense of entitlement that has no limit. When confronted with his behavior, instead of admitting being an obvious twat, he seems to think he needs to blame someone else for it.

Anyway, what should have been a celebration for the athletes has once again turned into, what actually? Seems a shame.

You state quite rightly earlier, that you have a general dislike for people who abuse power. My feelings about this are far stronger than just dislike, but my anger is towards the cowards who do this in secret. Countless times I have failed to get an interview let alone the job, due only to my surname or a bit of further digging into my educational background, to find out if any of my schooling was in an establishment beginning with saint.

Acts like this Spanish official's to my mind are just crass stupidity with a sprinkling of conceit and lack of decent upbringing. I do feel annoyed for her though that due to the euphoric nature of the occasion that any appropriate response had to be avoided, but good on her for not going down the Will Smith route.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on August 26, 2023, 08:27:47 PMCountless times I have failed to get an interview let alone the job, due only to my surname or a bit of further digging into my educational background, to find out if any of my schooling was in an establishment beginning with saint.
That still going on?

Mind, putting the boot on the left foot, when I went to Glesca for the World Road Cycling championships, I thought a group of Dutch blokes were risking it walking round in orange kilts and Tam o'shanters! Mind, they were all about 6'5"

Slim

Quote from: pxr5 on August 26, 2023, 06:30:56 PMA storm in a tea cup maybe but the guy is a cock and the fact he thinks it was a nothing issue shows how out of touch he is. Would he have done that to a male player?

What would the general response have been if he had? I'm thinking there wouldn't even have been one. Similarly, if a female officer of the Spanish Football Federation had done it to one of their women players, would there have been any outrage at all? Actually I think the BBC would have run it as a positive story and no-one would have cared.

I think it's just being exploited as an opportunity to have a victimhood pity party again, with males as the bad guys as usual.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

It shouldn't bother me because it will be after I'm gone, but I don't think future generations will have people like David Coleman, Brian Moore, John Motson, Kenneth Wolstenholme, Barry Davies, Jimmy Hill, Gerald Sinstadt, Des Lynam and all the rest, constants and true professionals at their job, to enjoy, criticise or generally just be in their football lives longer term. I'll be slaughtered for this (and just perhaps correctly) because those that present much of our sport at the moment have little talent for describing events and do not possess the type of voice which broadcasters need. To hold your attention and involve you and to lift things to a higher level than the event might actually deserve. I think that most of the presenters currently imposed upon us by licence, subscription or Freeview will be discarded long before their first grey hair or heaven forfend they stop fitting into the director's preferred costume. I'm probably right, and probably most people on here or elsewhere probably think I'm right, but for now no one is likely to agree.