Main Menu

Bernie Marsden has died

Started by Nick, August 25, 2023, 06:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Thenop

RIP, one of the classics. Love those early 'Snake tunes, bluesy and melodic. Fantastic guitar player, great feel.

David L

No! That's a shock. A very respected player. And my 'first' gig was Whitesnake at Oxford New Theatre - Lovehunter tour. Had a huge impact on me.
RIP Bernie

Nickslikk2112

RIP Bernie.

Back from when Whitesnake were real.

The Picnic Wasp

That's sad news. Great player and songwriter. RIP

Nick

"Live in the heart of the city" streaming.

Slim

Aww no, really sad to hear this. I followed him on Facebook and exchanged messages with him a couple of times. He expressed an interest in buying one of my guitars.

I was surprised to see his Sid Poole up for sale a few weeks ago along with a number of other valuable guitars from his large collection. I guess this explains it.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on August 25, 2023, 08:14:28 PMAww no, really sad to hear this. I followed him on Facebook and exchanged messages with him a couple of times. He expressed an interest in buying one of my guitars.

I was surprised to see his Sid Poole up for sale a few weeks ago along with a number of other valuable guitars from his large collection. I guess this explains it.
Did he sell 'The Beast' to Joe Bonamassa?

David L

Quote from: David L on August 26, 2023, 12:30:54 AM
Quote from: Slim on August 25, 2023, 08:14:28 PMAww no, really sad to hear this. I followed him on Facebook and exchanged messages with him a couple of times. He expressed an interest in buying one of my guitars.

Did he sell 'The Beast' to Joe Bonamassa?
No. Just Googled it. He pulled it from a sale in June. It was going up for sale for $1.3m  :o

Slim

Quote from: David L on August 26, 2023, 12:34:25 AMNo. Just Googled it. He pulled it from a sale in June. It was going up for sale for $1.3m  :o

He paid £500 for it in 1974 so that turned out to be a pretty useful investment, for his family anyway.

I suppose it's one of a handful of famous Les Pauls, with the daddy of them all being the Peter Green 1959 Standard, later owned by Gary Moore and Kirk Hammett.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Nice little tribute here from Phil Mogg. Bernie was of course in UFO for a while in the early '70s. Larry Wallis, who preceded him in the band died a few years ago as well.

Well, it's with a much saddened heart we have to say goodbye to Bernie who has fled the scene.

He will be badly missed by us all - friends, fans, and of course his family, to whom we send our deepest sympathy.

I still have vivid memories of picking up and dropping Bernie off at his flat in Shepherds Bush Road near the green, way back when we would trundle off in that old Ford Executive which would constantly break down on the way to some dodgy gig where you'd be lucky if you got paid, if at all.

Still Bernie was in the thick of it playing great guitar and still retaining a sense of humour which back then was absolutely necessary. I saw him some years back at one of those festivals you do (probably in the beer tent!) and he still had the sense of humour from back then, and still managed to have that warmth and charm which he carried around with him which would rub off so easily on everyone he met.

Well dear friend, I guess we'll meet again, in the words of the song which you've probably played a thousand times... "farther up the road".
Lorra love, Phil x

P.S. if you see Pete Way don't lend him any money you'll never get it back.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

Aww, that's really sad news. What a lovely guy he seemed too - another great musician lost to us. RIP Bernie.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

R6GYY

Sian just told me the news - reported on the FM website.

I've seen Bernie a few times over the years - in Whitesnake once, The Moody Marsden Band a few times, and most recently at the Buckley Tivoli just as himself.

On stage he was such a great entertainer, and a totally nice guy.

I was shocked and gutted to hear this news and my thoughts go out to his family and friends. Another rock great that I will never get to see again. So pleased I got to see him a few times 'throughout the ages'. A fantastic guitar player and quite a decent singer too.

RIP Bernie.

captainkurtz

He just seemed to be the loveliest of guys...and those whitesnake records are still brilliant.

I noticed that he pulled the sale of the Les Paul...I can't believe it's worth that much.  I hope his will left everything to his wife so he avoids IHT and that his wife has access to sound financial advice so that she avoids the same in the future...

Ali

Very sad news, only got to see Bernie in concert once with the Moody Marsden Band at New Brighton Floral Pavilion in the early to mid-90's. This was later released as 'The Night the Guitars Came to Play', Snowy White also appeared for a couple of tunes at the show.

Just listening to Bernie's superb playing on Mistreated from Reading '79, a bonus track on the remastered version of Ready an' Willing