Lucy Letby

Started by Fishy, August 20, 2023, 06:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy

Anyone think she's innocent.. just asking.. it's all very odd and quite intriguing..
From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

I've been thinking that myself. I obviously haven't spent the same amount of time examing the evidence as the jury have but to me there's just something that's not quite right about it. Wouldn't be the first time someone's been mis-convicted for a very serious crime.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

When I first heard of the case and saw photographs of her I just couldn't take it in. She looked so far removed from the kind of individual who could possibly carry out such vile acts. I watched a documentary through the week about Luke Mitchell, a 14 year old, convicted of murdering his girlfriend in 2003. Two former detectives examined evidence which had been ignored at the time. It was both eye opening and disturbing.

Thenop

Must admit never hearing of her. For all the social media and global news covering these days, it seems one can still miss stories like these.

The case I am most aware of and still makes an impression each time it comes up, is the James Bulgar one. That one was covered widely here as well.

Fishy

Yes it's interesting that all her friends just don't accept it at all and the only real evidence as such is that she was on shift when all the babies died.. no evidence of her administrating anything untoward to the the babies.. the txts etc to parents and the notes found at her flat are  quite concerning.. but does that infer guilt.. even the criminologist on the panorama programme was struggling to see how she fitted into any kind of known criteria for any of this.

And motive..??? All very baffling..

Fishy

Quote from: Thenop on August 20, 2023, 08:28:37 PMMust admit never hearing of her. For all the social media and global news covering these days, it seems one can still miss stories like these.

The case I am most aware of and still makes an impression each time it comes up, is the James Bulgar one. That one was covered widely here as well.
The two little bastards in the Bulger case should have been taken out and shot.. contemptible little shits...

Slim

This is interesting. A criminal barrister refers to a Dutch nurse who "was sentenced to life imprisonment for murdering five patients. It later came about that she was totally innocent and was exonerated".

"Each one of the hypotheses that were put forward by the experts as to how this child or baby died was a theory".

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Quote from: Slim on August 20, 2023, 08:44:12 PMThis is interesting. A criminal barrister refers to a Dutch nurse who "was sentenced to life imprisonment for murdering five patients. It later came about that she was totally innocent and was exonerated".

"Each one of the hypotheses that were put forward by the experts as to how this child or baby died was a theory".

Yes the Lucia de Berk case. She got a life sentence that was overturned some 6 or 7 years later. Made quite an impact over here.
It was actually 7 murders and 3 attempts.

pxr5

There is certainly some intrigue around this case. No direct evidence at all, but the jury spent a hell of a long time to reach their verdicts based on what they were told. And the stuff found in her flat seems incriminating, despite what her defence said. Odd for sure and I would not have liked to be part of that jury.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nickslikk2112

Hard to say without hearing all the evidence. But when there have been cases like the Shrewsbury and Telford hospital NHS trust and East Kent NHS Hospitals Trust where there have been gross failings in Paediatric care you just wonder whether they're trying to deflect attention away from systemic failings.

pxr5

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

dom

What was her defence?   Must admit I presumed she was guilty as sin!

Fishy

Quote from: dom on August 29, 2023, 01:56:52 PMWhat was her defence?   Must admit I presumed she was guilty as sin!
Think her main defence was .. it wasn't me

captainkurtz

You'd feel a bit awkward if you were the married doctor who allegedly had an affair with her..

dom

Quote from: Fishy on August 29, 2023, 02:21:52 PM
Quote from: dom on August 29, 2023, 01:56:52 PMWhat was her defence?   Must admit I presumed she was guilty as sin!
Think her main defence was .. it wasn't me

Ok I'm not won over to the idea that she might be innocent just yet