Main Menu

Football

Started by Slim, February 26, 2022, 07:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Picnic Wasp

My old football programmes always referred to your team as
Feijenoord. I didn't realise the club officially changed to Feyenoord in 1974 as a kindness to us thick neighbours who didn't understand the ij pronunciation. Every day a school day.

Thenop

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on May 14, 2023, 07:49:04 PMMy old football programmes always referred to your team as
Feijenoord. I didn't realise the club officially changed to Feyenoord in 1974 as a kindness to us thick neighbours who didn't understand the ij pronunciation. Every day a school day.

Haha, well we pronounce it the same so no difference here. There is a part of town though that is called Feijenoord, adjacent to where the stadium is.

It was a a fun watch, with a banner made by the fans that measured 11000 square meters. That's right, 11000. It spanned across 80% of the stands. Length was 550 meters if I am not mistaken. Impressive.

Slim

City now need two draws from their last three games to clinch the PL title - disregarding the very slender possibility that Arsenal will make up the goal difference. If Arsenal fail to win either of their last two games City would still win if they lose all three of theirs.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Extraordinary League One playoff tonight - Sheffield Wednesday overcame a 4-0 deficit from the first leg to get to 4-4 on aggregate. Then Peterborough scored one. Then Wednesday bagged another one.

Now it's penalties.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Nice to see a West Yorkshire team actually winning something. 8)

Slim

Newcastle are not yet quite guaranteed a top four finish, so I think they'll be on their game against Leicester tonight.

Actually Liverpool can only hope to draw level on points, and their goal difference is 7 worse than Newcastle's. So even if Newcastle were to lose 2-0 tonight, Liverpool would still need a hatful against Southampton on the last day.

Nonetheless I think Newcastle will be keen to make it a copper-bottomed certainty tonight.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

A bit conflicted today because my other half and family are all Foxes fans, but I literally hate Gary Lineker. At the moment they're going down despite having their noses in front for a while this afternoon.

Leeds definitely down, would need to score three goals without reply in the next fifteen minutes or so as well as Leicester conceding one. But Everton's survival at Leicester's expense is on a knife-edge .. just one Bournemouth goal would capsize it.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Leeds absolutely abject to the last - they deserve to go down.

dom

Quote from: Matt2112 on May 28, 2023, 06:42:36 PMLeeds absolutely abject to the last - they deserve to go down.

They looked so nervous today.  Sam's impact appears minimal or even negative

pdw1

Congrats to The Hammers tonight. That's the way to win a European final.

Slim

Not sure City are winning a European final in the right way at the moment - they've looked surprisingly ramshackle and disjointed, but as I type they're quite likely to bring the trophy home to Blighty.

Foden will rue fluffing his line if Inter get a goal.

Five minutes of normal time remain.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Quote from: Slim on June 10, 2023, 09:45:54 PMNot sure City are winning a European final in the right way at the moment - they've looked surprisingly ramshackle and disjointed, but as I type they're quite likely to bring the trophy home to Blighty.

Not quite sure that it has been brought back to Blighty. In general over the last 25 years the EPL has become more and more international, less and less English. Foreign owners managers and players all outnumber their English counterparts. Fans attending matches are  still probably mostly English but they are dwarfed in numbers by international supporters watching from home.

And specifically in the case of Man City, it has become a sports laundering device for Abu Dhabi. It really is Abu Dhabi FC. Looks like Newcastle are heading down the same path and Man Utd may well follow suit.

All owned/to be owned by repressive countries, using the EPL for a bit of good pr.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: dom on June 11, 2023, 08:19:42 PM
Quote from: Slim on June 10, 2023, 09:45:54 PMNot sure City are winning a European final in the right way at the moment - they've looked surprisingly ramshackle and disjointed, but as I type they're quite likely to bring the trophy home to Blighty.

Not quite sure that it has been brought back to Blighty. In general over the last 25 years the EPL has become more and more international, less and less English. Foreign owners managers and players all outnumber their English counterparts. Fans attending matches are  still probably mostly English but they are dwarfed in numbers by international supporters watching from home.

And specifically in the case of Man City, it has become a sports laundering device for Abu Dhabi. It really is Abu Dhabi FC. Looks like Newcastle are heading down the same path and Man Utd may well follow suit.

All owned/to be owned by repressive countries, using the EPL for a bit of good pr.
Well I think soccerball is shit, it' bad PR to me :)

dom

Well it looks like the prize chattel of another club used for sports washing will be on the move this Summer.

Mbappe has said he's not going to renew with PSG. Fascinating to see where he ends up. I'm guessing Real Madrid or Chelsea. If Man U become another oil run club they will be among the favourites to land him too.

Outside bet - Newcastle decide to show off their financial, oil fueled muscle and land one of the biggest talents in football.