Main Menu

Football

Started by Slim, February 26, 2022, 07:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: pxr5 on March 11, 2023, 12:04:46 PMFuckin' sheep can all sod off for me. Just sack all the overpaid gits and get someone else in if needed. Maybe if the BBC got rid of football our licence fees might drop - considerably. Then we can all watch much superior sports like Rugby and Cricket.
Trouble is, too many people see Soccer as being the only sport. That's why the BBC throw money at imbeciles to comment on the bits of soccer scraps they are thrown. The only other sport the BBC like is Tennis, because that's what all the hoorays who run it play.

dom

Did the English rugby team decide not to play today in solidarity with Lineker?

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on March 11, 2023, 11:14:33 AM
Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on March 11, 2023, 10:51:04 AM
Quote from: dom on March 11, 2023, 08:46:35 AMI'll often disagree with their opinions, but I'm interested in seeing what they say anyway.
You like listening to barely educated people talking shit? Get a life!
I watch TV to escape people like Mrs S and the boy.

What about people who can't escape and get a life? TV is company for a lot of folk who don't have much human contact and lead a lonely existence. You know the sort I mean. The old guy holding up the checkout queue chatting to the staff.
The old bloke needs a good kicking! Check out staff are there to process your goods, not chat. I always start with a hearty "FUCK OFF" when I get to the checkout.

I've no problems with people watching the telly, but not to actively seek out morons spouting guff.

pdw1

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on March 11, 2023, 10:51:04 AMYou like listening to barely educated people talking shit? Get a life!
well, he does hang around here

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: pdw1 on March 11, 2023, 11:13:37 PM
Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on March 11, 2023, 10:51:04 AMYou like listening to barely educated people talking shit? Get a life!
well, he does hang around here
And there was I thinking we were reasonably educated people without lives talking shit. More fool me.

Nickslikk2112

This piece from the Telegraph is spot on:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/other/good-riddance-to-virtue-signalling-football-pundits/ar-AA18uWTI?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e1750c49466a4ab0be402a0da8b2c87b&ei=37

Although the reference to virtue signalling isn't necessary. The heart of the matter is:

QuoteThe BBC's obsession with punditry rather than actual sport has long been a blight on its coverage.

dom

FA Trophy quarter finals yesterday  saw wins for both Barnet and Matt's Halifax. Wonder if we get to meet in the semis or wait for Wembley. Draw is tomorrow afternoon.

pxr5

I caught that 'Match of the Day' replacement thing this morning showing the PL highlights without commentary. At first it seemed awful, but as the games went on I really did get used to the lack of commentary. It wouldn't bother me watching football without commentators in the future.

In fact I'm going to write to Points of View suggesting this becomes the norm. Along with binning pundits I could save the beeb a fortune and I'll demand my licence fee is reduced by, say, 50%. Get in. 8) :D
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Matt2112

Apparently, the viewing figures for last night's MOTD were 500,000 up on the week before. 🤔

I did think it suffered from the lack of match commentary though; it does inform and provide some vicarious excitement.

Matt2112

Quote from: dom on March 12, 2023, 12:16:17 PMFA Trophy quarter finals yesterday  saw wins for both Barnet and Matt's Halifax. Wonder if we get to meet in the semis or wait for Wembley. Draw is tomorrow afternoon.

We were atrocious at home to Barnet the other week, and they didn't even have to work that hard for their win, and that wasn't even the nadir of our recent patch of shocking performances.

However, since key players have returned from injury we're now unbeaten in four games, with no goals conceded in our last three games.  Hopefully a corner turned.

Slim

Quote from: dom on March 11, 2023, 11:57:58 AMEven better for David, Radio 5 live won't have any commentaries on today's football. What an unholy mess.

36 Tory mps are demanding an apology from Lineker. That's not going to happen.

You're right there, Lineker doesn't have the faintest hint of the integrity or honesty necessary for that.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

MOTD2 will be 14 minutes long tonight. :-\

dom

Patrick Vieira has been sacked at Palace. He started off so well with them but with no wins since before the World Cup, the writing was on the wall. Seems their strikers have forgotten how to score.

Matt2112

MOTD will be 1 hour 20 minutes long tonight. :)

pxr5

Quote from: Matt2112 on March 18, 2023, 07:46:08 PMMOTD will be 1 hour 20 minutes long tonight. :)
With a whole 14 minutes of football  ;)
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."