Main Menu

Football

Started by Slim, February 26, 2022, 07:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

I don't buy this notion of "sportswashing", I think it's mainly liberal media folklore. Think about it - has anything made Saudi human rights abuses more prominent in the public consciousness this last couple of years than LIV golf or Newcastle United?

Even the last World Cup was largely treated by the BBC as an invitation to bang on ad nauseam about the plight of migrant workers in Qatar.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

You could be right but what reason do you give for the oil states to invest so much into football. They have zero chance of making any money out of the venture?

pxr5

England winning the Euro U21 final against Spain 1-0 with a penalty save by the England goalkeeper Trafford in added time. Great stuff.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

Trevor Francis has died. The first £1M player. Only 69.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

The ridiculousness of the Arabs oferring a total of 1 billion euros for 1 year of Mbappe.
No one is worth that, and the notion you can buy anything and anyone is quite disturbing.

David L

Jordan Henderson - 'dump' woke = rich bloke
;D

Slim

Starting to wonder if Saudi might turn out to be the downfall of European football. With the ridiculous money they're offering, we'll see more players going there. Certainly they've signed players who are a bit past their peak but they seem to be getting players who still have a lot to offer, more so than the past-it performers who typically go to end their careers in the US.

Apparently they want Mo Salah now.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

When I was working in Saudi I used to get chatting to some of the local guys there about football. Even then (6-7 years ago) they were complaining about the amount of foreign players in the club sides basically giving the locals less chances and weakening the national side. Sort of what happened in the PL.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

dom

Something similar happened in China around a decade ago. That all fell apart pretty quickly. Hopefully something similar will happen to Saudi. Concerning though that  players in their prime are heading over not just those reaching the end of their careers.

Its different to China in that there's a double pronged attack going on. Not only are they pinching fantastic players to play in thrir league they're also appropriating clubs in Europe. Wonder how long it will continue?

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Cheltenham Town have scored zero goals in their first nine league games - a new football league record.

The previous holders of this unwanted title, with P8 F0, was...Halifax Town.  ::)

Slim

Just heard breaking news that the PL has recommended a 12 point deduction for Everton. Brutal.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Hopefully similar penalties will be handed out to Man City and (crossing all fingers) Chelsea

Slim

The Spurs fans must be feeling a bit like the Arsenal fans felt a year ago at this stage of the season .. "we couldn't .. could we?"
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Slim on October 28, 2023, 07:33:22 PMThe Spurs fans must be feeling a bit like the Arsenal fans felt a year ago at this stage of the season .. "we couldn't .. could we?"

Just got to love Ange. Something about this man. When he arrived in Glasgow he was derided to a large extent by supporters from both sides of the Clyde, and also the mainstream media. I don't think there's a shred of doubt in his mentality when he takes on a task. He's as capable as any manager in the game. Even though being honest I had slight doubts about his appointment after the Eddie Howe saga, I did like the look and sound of him when I did a bit of digging about the web. Good luck to him. Great guy.