Main Menu

Football

Started by Slim, February 26, 2022, 07:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David L

Quote from: Slim link=msg=10295 date=Wasn't surprised at all when Frank got the tin tack. I did think before the game with West Ham that he'd need to avoid losing it to keep his job.

He'll be back earning hundreds of thousands within weeks

pxr5

Wigan have sacked their manager, Kolo Toure, after only 9 games. ffs what a farce.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

Speaking of Sean Dyche, as Dom was in the Arsenal thread just now - given they were after Bielsa, that's a strange choice for Everton isn't it? Either they don't really have a firm idea of the approach and style they want, or Dyche is a stopgap until they can get someone more in keeping with their longer term plan.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

Quote from: David L on January 26, 2023, 02:01:44 PM
Quote from: Slim link=msg=10295 date=Wasn't surprised at all when Frank got the tin tack. I did think before the game with West Ham that he'd need to avoid losing it to keep his job.

He'll be back earning hundreds of thousands within weeks

It's just a revolving door of failure..
From The Land of Honest Men

dom

Quote from: Slim on January 28, 2023, 09:10:29 PMSpeaking of Sean Dyche, as Dom was in the Arsenal thread just now - given they were after Bielsa, that's a strange choice for Everton isn't it? Either they don't really have a firm idea of the approach and style they want, or Dyche is a stopgap until they can get someone more in keeping with their longer term plan.

I suppose Bielsa is more of a long term thing and his methods take time to settle in and yield results. I imagine they think that Dyche will get in there and bring some structure and organisation to the team pretty quickly. Let's see if that works out.

dom

The financial might of the EPL has never been more apparent during this transfer window.

I think I saw a figure that 750 million was spent this January.  In contrast the German, French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese leagues spent 250 million between them.  That is astonishing.  Chelsea by themselves spent 323 million.  Boehly seems to be backing his team even more than Abramovic.  Really hope they fail miserably!

Slim

Jesse Marsch has been fired .. no surprises I guess but a shame, he did very well there for a time.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Pity, when Arsenal played at Elland Road, Leeds were excellent and deserved at least a point. I thought he looked an excellent appointment, not quite sure why it didn't work out.

Matt2112

I think it didn't work out for Marsch for the same reason it didn't work out for Bielsa - the team simply still isn't of a sufficient standard to get enough good results over the course of a season at Premier League level.

Gnonto looks a great signing but often looks like it's left to him to win games on his own.  Too many of the rest are duds.

dom

Wonder what will happen to Manchester City and the Premier League's case against them with regards to Financial Fair Play. 

I bet Chelsea are shuffling uncomfortably and even Newcastle might be wondering how it will affect their future spending plans

David L

Quote from: dom on February 06, 2023, 11:52:07 PMWonder what will happen to Manchester City and the Premier League's case against them with regards to Financial Fair Play. 

I bet Chelsea are shuffling uncomfortably and even Newcastle might be wondering how it will affect their future spending plans
Aaah, I remember when it used to be about who scored the most goals. Great times

dom

Quote from: David L on July 13, 1970, 11:52:15 PMAaah, I remember when it used to be about who scored the most goals. Great times

Indeed, those were the days!

Slim

Well, no doubt who scored the most goals tonight - I think this last run of games has taken the wind out of Arsenal's sails.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

City must be favourites now, based on their experience in dealing with title run ins. 

Slim

Nightmarish mistake by Courtois there, gifting Salah the ball right in front of the goal.

But you know what Mo should have done there? He should have put his foot on the ball, tapped it back to Courtois with a wry smile, and backed off a few paces, to let him clear it.

Because that would have been one of the great all-time moments of footballing sportsmanship. There would have been a standing ovation, right round the ground. And that's bigger than going 2-0 up against Real Madrid.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan