Main Menu

Football

Started by Slim, February 26, 2022, 07:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

I'm glad they won and deservedly so. But it's true, all this endless gushing is horrible to endure. A bit like The Commonwealth Games. I mean, who really gives a toss about that?

When the winning goal scorer took her shirt off, did she get booked for that, I didn't see?
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Matt2112

Quote from: pxr5 on July 31, 2022, 10:01:52 PMWhen the winning goal scorer took her shirt off, did she get booked for that, I didn't see?

Yes, she got a yellow card; the actual brandishing was off-screen but confirmed by a graphic.

Slim

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 31, 2022, 08:35:04 PMBum. >:(

I wanted the Krauts to win to prevent all the endless gushing equating this to the second coming.

Got to admit I was disappointed when I heard they'd won. I'd been avoiding the game while I was out on my bike by listening to LBC, but when I heard they'd won I switched to 5 Live.

I could not believe the overwrought, melodramatic guff coming out of the woman who commentates on the women's footy for the BBC. Historic, monumental, etc etc

My view is that we're being gaslit by the left-leaning media and especially the BBC into believing that women's football is of a comparable standard to the men's and currently it isn't, not by a long way. I'm not just talking physical stamina and strength. Tactics, decision making, passing the ball, controlling it, game management and all the rest of it. Coalville Town are better than the women's England side.

What really annoys me is when the pundits talk about putting an end to the proverbial 56 years of hurt, as if it's the same sport. Nope, 56 years and still counting. Fair play to them for winning something but this women's Euros bollocks is an irrelevance to proper international football.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

I agree they shouldn't be conflated like they often are.

I'd not really followed the tournament at all until England made the final - and it was quite watchable and engaging, though even top level women's football matches often are not.

dom

F Off you fing p***k.

The women are on a par when it comes to cursing!

David L

Turn on the telly this morning - 'rainbows' everywhere  >:(

Matt2112

Everyone is happy about this victory it seems apart from Alex Scott - she seems angry, sullen and bitter about something and was at it again on BBC Breakfast this morning.

Why not just enjoy it like Wrighty and every other fan? 🤷🏻�♂️

Matt2112

Quote from: David L on August 01, 2022, 08:21:32 AMTurn on the telly this morning - 'rainbows' everywhere  >:(

Time for a new one.

;)  ;D

dom

Quote from: Matt2112 on August 01, 2022, 08:28:35 AMEveryone is happy about this victory it seems apart from Alex Scott - she seems angry, sullen and bitter about something and was at it again on BBC Breakfast this morning.

What was she angry about?

Blastzone

Surprisingly up here in Scotland , the English lassies got quite a bit of respect , and many people were wishing them well.Even my good lady who has no interest in football generally,  watched every game , cheering them on . My own theory is, most people up here reckon they would beat our men's national side 😊

Matt2112

Quote from: dom on August 01, 2022, 11:15:21 AM
Quote from: Matt2112 on August 01, 2022, 08:28:35 AMEveryone is happy about this victory it seems apart from Alex Scott - she seems angry, sullen and bitter about something and was at it again on BBC Breakfast this morning.

What was she angry about?

From what I can gather the lack of corporate interest and investment when the women's game didn't have such a high profile - i.e when she was playing.

Quite an unfair and bitter take, it strikes me.

dom

https://twitter.com/QEMrsWright/status/1553818325691555841?t=RenM080LcP4g3WYSgtJymQ&s=19

Men:
Football's coming home!! It's coming home!! IT's coming!!

Women, 60yrs later: ... FFS I'll get it myself.

⚽️💪🏃🏻�♀️

Matt2112

The "taking the knee" gesture is to be dropped for all but the most high profile games in the Premier League this season.

What a relief.

This was apparently agreed by a consensus of team captains, perhaps realising that the (literal) stance of players like Wilfried Zaha carried far more weight than superfluous performative rituals that were preaching only to the converted (the overwhelming majority of people) and wouldn't change any minds already poisoned with racism.

Also, this surely will only benefit the profile and great work by the Kick It Out initiative, which, lest "progressives" forget, has been in place for at least couple of decades in one form or another.

Slim

It did absolutely nothing in the fight against racism except to make it worse.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Let's hope this doesn't get ignored by Southgate and his masters at the FA