Rush - a Band of Limited Options

Started by Slim, August 14, 2023, 11:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Nick on August 15, 2023, 07:55:55 PMAgree about the comedy shit they added to the latter shows, none of it was in the slightest bit humorous. When I joined the fanbase I saw them as technical kings and loved the complexity, lyrics, multiple instruments and being invited to shuttle launches. I expect they perceived themselves as being too distant to their fanbase and wanted to be a bit more down to earth, but they should have stayed distant and left us in awe.

I kind of get this though. After a few seconds in their presence at one of those daft meet & greets, I felt a bit deflated after discovering they were in fact just mere human beings. I think Geddy said about someone once, "never meet your heroes".

R6GYY

I dunno about that. I've met some of my heroes - Rick Wakeman, Graham Bonnet, Toby Jepson spring to mind. Oh, and the late, great, Norman Wisdom when I was a lad - I got his autograph in a little book which is now lost in the murky depths of time.

All were memorable happy experiences.

Fishy

I've met Todd Rundgren a couple of times. and I still love the guy...
From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

When I met Geddy and Alex in 1978, I couldn't believe how short Geddy was when he emerged from the stage door. All three of them were really nice though, although Neil had made it to the car before I could get him to sign the tour book.

I asked Alex if he'd use my pen, so I'd have a permanent souvenir of the occasion. "Sure", he said. But I lost it about two years later.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Perhaps a chance meeting somewhere would have been different. The meet & greet setup was very forced and artificial with a military style security guy barking out the do's and don'ts. It might have helped if I'd managed to get some sleep the night before but I was a nervous wreck so there was no chance of that. Would I prefer to have the experience or not? I couldn't honestly say. All I know is that it took a bit of the magic away in that queue that evening.

Thenop

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on August 31, 2023, 08:46:26 AMPerhaps a chance meeting somewhere would have been different. The meet & greet setup was very forced and artificial with a military style security guy barking out the do's and don'ts. It might have helped if I'd managed to get some sleep the night before but I was a nervous wreck so there was no chance of that. Would I prefer to have the experience or not? I couldn't honestly say. All I know is that it took a bit of the magic away in that queue that evening.
Which is exactly why I never did a M&G for which payment was required. Mind you, I would have liked to meet the Kiss guys, Paul & Gene back in the day. But not at the expense they are asking with all restrictions in place.
Anyway, I am much more comfortable talking to a drummer after a show, just chatting gear and stuff. I am not starstruck in any way, not for anyone.

Slim

Quote from: Thenop on August 31, 2023, 09:36:34 AMWhich is exactly why I never did a M&G for which payment was required. Mind you, I would have liked to meet the Kiss guys, Paul & Gene back in the day. But not at the expense they are asking with all restrictions in place.

On my first trip to New York in the summer of 1987, I saw Paul strolling along Columbus Avenue on my last day there. He had a gold Rolex Day-Date with an oversized band hanging from his wrist like a bracelet. I briefly pondered saying hello, but thought better of it. I just had a suspicion he'd be a bit cunty.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Quote from: Slim on August 31, 2023, 10:18:59 AM
Quote from: Thenop on August 31, 2023, 09:36:34 AMWhich is exactly why I never did a M&G for which payment was required. Mind you, I would have liked to meet the Kiss guys, Paul & Gene back in the day. But not at the expense they are asking with all restrictions in place.
Probably would have been yes. He aged well though I get the impression.

On my first trip to New York in the summer of 1987, I saw Paul strolling along Columbus Avenue on my last day there. He had a gold Rolex Day-Date with an oversized band hanging from his wrist like a bracelet. I briefly pondered saying hello, but thought better of it. I just had a suspicion he'd be a bit cunty.

The Picnic Wasp

You should be a detective. I'd be so busy in my mind making sure it was definitely him I don't think I'd even notice his watch let alone identify it. I think I would say hello though. I reckon he'd be ok with that. Seems like he appreciates fans and especially if they made a brief polite exchange.

Ali

I'm quite happy they remained as a three-piece, it was part of the allure that drew me to them in the first place, was a major part of their identity and set them apart from many of their peers

Probably my favourite US band of all time are Blue Oyster Cult, where all five members sang and wrote (as well as other contributers like Sandy Pearlman/Richard Meltzer/Patti Smith/Michael Moorcock etc) and a few variations in instrument playing (Allen swapped keyboards for guitar at times with Eric doing the opposite, Albert would leave his drums behind and don a guitar on occasion)

Both bands produced a lot of excellent music and delivered great shows in their respective set-ups

captainkurtz

Quote from: Slim on August 31, 2023, 10:18:59 AM

I met gene and Paul (and Eric carr and Bruce Kullick) in September 1988, after waiting politely at their hotel all day for them to show up.  They really couldn't have been nicer.  Paul came off the bus and said he needed to go to his room but would be down as quickly as possible - and he did come back and signed everything that everyone had.  There were guys with several folders of cuttings and he signed it all.  Gene was a gent as well.  Eric and Bruce seemed shy and were a little quiet.  A nice experience.