Main Menu

Reacher

Started by Slim, February 26, 2022, 11:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

I've read the first six Jack Reacher books over the last 18 months so I was pleased to see a TV series turn up on Amazon Prime.

I've also watched the two films, with Tom Cruise as the titular hero. I liked them a lot but Tom just isn't Reacher, in terms of personality or physicality. The guy who plays him in the TV series, Alan Ritchson, is pretty much perfect in the role. It must be said though that Tom is a much better actor and he has a charisma and presence that Ritchson doesn't. That's why he's Tom Cruise, I guess!

Only watched the first two episodes. If I hadn't read the book they're based on, Killing Floor I might have enjoyed them more. Not bad, but the direction feels a bit ITV-ish.

One thing that's disappointed me is that there's a moment in Killing Floor that, for me, defines Reacher. Two bad guys are out to kill him. He sets a trap for them and dispatches them in the most matter-of-fact casual, cold-blooded manner imaginable. It looks like the TV series has copped out from that.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

R6GYY

There is a scene in episode 3 which is similar to what you describe James.

I am enjoying it very much, but pacing myself and watching about 1 episode a week.

Episode 3 was the last one that I've seen so far.

Slim

Ah yes just watched the third one, it is the same scene - although in the book it takes place in daylight and the details are a bit different. He tricks them by parking next to a small copse but hiding in the field on the other side. And he doesn't bother coming out of cover.

Definitely an improvement on the first two, would probably be enjoying it more if I hadn't read the book.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Neillwith2Ls

Am enjoying the series, but haven't read any of the books.

Jonners

Its sort of OK.

I get weary of these series about super hard guys who are indestructable though.

I read the first few books then got bored very quickly, found it tiresome that he would always have an answer, new everything, was harder than everyone else.

And I reckoned he would smell

Slim

He smells of coffee and motel shower gel.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Jonners

Finished it. Thought is was OK, but no more than that

Slim

I watched the first three - I think I'd like it a lot if I hadn't read the book, but since I know what happens I'm probably not going to persist with it.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan