What's made you grumpy today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Picnic Wasp

At least a percentage of our licence fees isn't still going to Jimmy Savile.

Slim

Shocking day.

Woke up with a touch of kidney pain on the left side .. thought little of it, got up, it went away. Thought it might be a good idea to drink some water so I did that. 20 minutes later the kidney pain was back, to agony levels this time, combined with a burning urge to wee. Yet the most I could manage was a few drips.

It was unbearable; I was writhing in pain and trying to wee every five minutes. Wife called 111. I spoke to them, they suggested a bladder infection and made an appointment for me at an Urgent Care Centre in Oadby, a 30 minute drive away, for 14:30. Antibiotics would fix it, they said.

The pain came and went in waves, it wasn't always unbearable. But the urge to wee was constant, and I couldn't.

I tried to go to the appointment but I simply couldn't cope - every bump or turn made me nauseous, I couldn't take it. I got Sue to drive me back after half a mile. I was in a shocking state at this point and I called 999. I managed to talk to the operator and gave all the details but she wouldn't send an ambulance. Not life-threatening. I was in despair at this point but fortunately my condition calmed sufficiently for me to make the journey to the Urgent Care Centre. Even the urge to wee seemed to diminish slightly.

I was late getting there of course. So they made a later appointment for me and I had to wait 45 minutes. I had to wait outside, quite reasonably, because I'm still COVID-positive. I went to the car for a bit. Then I returned for my appointment and hung around outside. I had to sit on the pavement just outside the centre.

Finally I was telephoned and asked to go to a different entrance where a kindly doctor ushered me into a treatment room. He prodded and questioned me for ten minutes. Took my temperature and pulse. He took my urine sample (I'd brought one with me) and went off to analyse it.

I didn't have an infection, but it was likely (from traces of blood in the urine) that I have a kidney stone. He prescribed some anti-inflammatory drugs and painkillers which I got on the way home.

To my immense relief, having not attempted to wee for about three hours by the time I returned home, I was able to expel a reasonable quantity of urine. Hadn't even taken any of the drugs at this point. I took them shortly afterward and I've been comfortable again ever since. I can wee normally (I think) and I've been carefully drinking fluids.

Got to make an appointment for a scan and I may need treatment for the kidney stone, if indeed it exists, or it may pass without treatment.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

I feel for you James. Not experienced that myself but my dad did and I could see the pain it caused. His  eventually passed through the kidneys by walking constantly round the hospital being on a drip and drinking lots of fluids.
Hope you're over the worst of it now

David L

Sounds horrendous Slim. Hope you get it sorted.

pxr5

Slim, I'm sorry to hear that - sounds awful. Hope it can be fixed soon.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

The Picnic Wasp

How dreadful. The pain must have been shocking. Wishing you a quick recovery.

Nick

Sounds terrible,have heard many similar tales about how painful it is.

Matt2112

Just when you think you're getting towards a full recovery you're hit with this, James - good to hear things settled down though, sounds a truly awful experience.  Hopefully not mirrored by my own this time..!  :(

captainkurtz

Sorry to read this, Slim.  Sounds identical to issues my brother had a year or 2 ago.  Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery.

Nickslikk2112

Sorry to hear that James. Hope it clears soon.

I remember a family friend had a kidney stone years ago. I remember vividly his account of the excruciating pain it caused.

Nickslikk2112

The general level of incompetence which permeates today's society.

Together with my brother we opened a bank account to collect all the monies due from our dad's estate so as the Executors we could distribute it.

Having gained Probate, we are now in a position to collect said monies, but because of anti money laundering procedures lots of institutions require sight of a cancelled cheque, a paying in slip or a Statement from the account.

Little brother ordered a cheque book and paying in book, but the bank - NatWorst - have sent them out in his name only. He reordered them last week, but they have yet to turn up. Meanwhile, I have finally been able to download a statement from online banking. They've only gone and spelt my dad's surname incorrectly on the account. How hard can it be? My surname and little bro's are correct - Slikk- but dad's is Slik. I despair.

I also despair that the actions of some economic incompetents - Hi Liz and Khazi - have sent the stock market into freefall and probably the housing market too. I hope this doesn't lead to me cancelling retirement and going back to work...

captainkurtz

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on September 27, 2022, 04:37:48 PMThe general level of incompetence which permeates today's society.

Together with my brother we opened a bank account to collect all the monies due from our dad's estate so as the Executors we could distribute it.

Having gained Probate, we are now in a position to collect said monies, but because of anti money laundering procedures lots of institutions require sight of a cancelled cheque, a paying in slip or a Statement from the account.

Little brother ordered a cheque book and paying in book, but the bank - NatWorst - have sent them out in his name only. He reordered them last week, but they have yet to turn up. Meanwhile, I have finally been able to download a statement from online banking. They've only gone and spelt my dad's surname incorrectly on the account. How hard can it be? My surname and little bro's are correct - Slikk- but dad's is Slik. I despair.

I also despair that the actions of some economic incompetents - Hi Liz and Khazi - have sent the stock market into freefall and probably the housing market too. I hope this doesn't lead to me cancelling retirement and going back to work...
It's not just banks. Everything from the government down is/are incompetent these days.  I cannot wait to retire and become a recluse.  Unfortunately, I'm about 15 years away from that..

Slim

Please be sure to confine party political bunfighting to the Politics section - many thanks.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: captainkurtz on September 27, 2022, 05:36:01 PMIt's not just banks. Everything from the government down is/are incompetent these days.  I cannot wait to retire and become a recluse.  Unfortunately, I'm about 15 years away from that..
I just hope we get a quick house sale. I can go on to the recluse bit then. The less contact I have with people the better - and I'm sure it works the other way...

David L

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on September 27, 2022, 07:13:28 PMI just hope we get a quick house sale.
Just put my mum's house on the market a few weeks ago. Had three valuations and all were in the same ballpark. Far in excess of what I thought it was worth. All agents suggested "OIEO.." and talked about 'block viewings'......no interest at all so far  ::)
Having waited over 12 months since mum passed away, we are not in any hurry but can't help believing that it will not achieve anything like the agents suggested. And with the current 'turmoil' it may not sell until well into next year.
Good luck with yours