What's made you grumpy today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on March 04, 2024, 08:59:35 PM
Quote from: Slim on March 04, 2024, 07:08:05 PM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on March 04, 2024, 05:41:07 PMProbably not, but who cares? It would just be the same folk who wouldn't read my book. Which incidentally has a title, Stone In My Shoe.

Tell us more about this? Perhaps start a thread. Will you self-publish it?

Publication didn't cross my mind, until now. It would involve a fair bit of courage to open up like that.

I've started to be fascinated by the idea of a thread like you suggested. It's clear we are a group of a certain age and intelligence level, so what if the thread was titled

A Page A Day

The idea of a book, fictional or autobiographical is onerous, but a journalistic report on life is less so. With a little bit of discipline 365 days from now we'll all be authors. With about a dozen sales each.

The idea springs from the old guitar book A Tune A Day which I wish I'd read and absorbed into my philosophy, but then I wouldn't be me. Oh, and I don't have a computer or printer at present so there would need to be absolute trust in BTW.

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on March 05, 2024, 01:11:25 AMThe idea springs from the old guitar book A Tune A Day which I wish I'd read and absorbed into my philosophy, but then I wouldn't be me. Oh, and I don't have a computer or printer at present so there would need to be absolute trust in BTW.

What do you mean by absolute trust?

I might do something similar myself.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Slim on March 05, 2024, 12:33:16 PM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on March 05, 2024, 01:11:25 AMThe idea springs from the old guitar book A Tune A Day which I wish I'd read and absorbed into my philosophy, but then I wouldn't be me. Oh, and I don't have a computer or printer at present so there would need to be absolute trust in BTW.

It was just a reflection on my stupid reluctance to buy a replacement computer and that BTW would be my only method of saving my precious (ahem) words.

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on March 05, 2024, 02:54:03 PM
Quote from: Slim on March 05, 2024, 12:33:16 PM

It was just a reflection on my stupid reluctance to buy a replacement computer and that BTW would be my only method of saving my precious (ahem) words.

I'll make sure they're preserved if you do choose to do that, no worries. You could also copy & paste the text into an email and send it to yourself, then it'll also be preserved on the Google Mail (or whichever) servers.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Just back from the hospital. Stepfather had a heart attack, he seems sort of OK now, but he's very shaken up and scared. He's 82 so he really thought his number was up.
Tomorrow he'll get angioplasty and a Stent. So it'll be an intense few days.
Mum's alright, alone at home now.

Never a dull moment.

pdw1

Quote from: Thenop on March 05, 2024, 08:36:21 PMJust back from the hospital. Stepfather had a heart attack, he seems sort of OK now, but he's very shaken up and scared. He's 82 so he really thought his number was up.

Never a dull moment.
Sorry to hear this. Hope it all goes well tomorrow.
Modern medicine is amazing sometimes.

David L

Quote from: Thenop on March 05, 2024, 08:36:21 PMJust back from the hospital. Stepfather had a heart attack, he seems sort of OK now, but he's very shaken up and scared. He's 82 so he really thought his number was up.

Never a dull moment.
Sorry to hear this, hope he makes a full recovery

Slim

Never a dull moment.

Best wishes, hope he feels a lot better soon.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

captainkurtz

All the best to your stepdad, mate.  It's always a concern as your parents get older.  My mum was 84 last week - she had a fall at home last month and spent a week in hospital.  No real damage luckily.  She forgot to press her alarm pendant..ive subsequently got her a fall wrist alarm.  I'm usually only 10 mins away and I get alerted.  She's a tough old bird.

Slim

Quote from: captainkurtz on March 06, 2024, 12:58:46 PMAll the best to your stepdad, mate.  It's always a concern as your parents get older.  My mum was 84 last week - she had a fall at home last month and spent a week in hospital.  No real damage luckily.  She forgot to press her alarm pendant..ive subsequently got her a fall wrist alarm.  I'm usually only 10 mins away and I get alerted.  She's a tough old bird.

Best wishes to your mum as well. It's a sobering thought that, on the day I signed up to TNMS, your mum would have been younger than I am now. Old age comes quicker than you think.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Quote from: captainkurtz on March 06, 2024, 12:58:46 PMShe's a tough old bird.

They don't make 'em like that anymore comes to mind.

pxr5

Never a dull moment.
Sad news. Hope he gets well soon and my best wishes.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

dom

Sorry for both your troubles. Getting old is tough

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: dom on March 07, 2024, 12:15:26 PMSorry for both your troubles. Getting old is tough
Yes. Don't I know it...

But enough about me. Thenop and Hassan I hope things improve for your elders. Between 2015 and 2022 Mrs S and I - particularly Mrs S - had many a rough time with parents and elderly relatives. Mrs S still jumps a mile in the air when the phone rings, quite some feat with the weight she carries these days...

Matt2112

My best wishes to everyone affected, do hope things get better.

Yes, on the occasions I get a phone call from my mum's care home I always prepare myself for what I might be about to hear; usually of course it's some routine admin matter.

I have had that call where I was told, "You need to get here now", when end of life care procedures were applied and I thought that was it - but that was over two years ago and somehow she's still with us.