What's made you grumpy today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David L

Quote from: Nick on January 21, 2023, 07:58:45 PMThis dry January is never ending, still got another weekend to get through.
Why torture yourself?

pdw1

Quote from: Nick on January 21, 2023, 07:58:45 PMThis dry January is never ending, still got another weekend to get through.
Have a drink on me

Nick

Quote from: David L on January 22, 2023, 09:46:01 AM
Why torture yourself?

I need to do it.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Nick on January 22, 2023, 03:25:28 PM
Quote from: David L on January 22, 2023, 09:46:01 AM
Why torture yourself?

I need to do it.

In 2021 I decided to do the same. January was a long, dry month, but I noticed towards the end I didn't quite have my usual weekend craving for beer, or at least not so pronounced. I carried on dry into February and started to miss my Saturday night mini-sessions less and less. It eventually became 235 days, something of a record in my adult life. I would probably have continued this new lifestyle or for a while longer, but there was a bit of a stressful event in our family and it was good to return to bad ways to take the edge off. I hadn't really realised I have had a dry January this year, well since the 3rd, but that was mainly down to trying to get onto a sensible diet and shed a few pounds but unfortunately the chocolate supplies keep being replenished.

Slim

I've done it a few times, not necessarily a January, but some random time when I decided I should dry out - usually after a week or two of over-indulgence. Actually I think I'll start a thread about alcohol, it's an important topic I think.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on January 22, 2023, 07:08:23 PMI've done it a few times, not necessarily a January, but some random time when I decided I should dry out - usually after a week or two of over-indulgence. Actually I think I'll start a thread about alcohol, it's an important topic I think.
Perhaps a period of abstinence is needed for myself. Went to Oxford yesterday to do a little shopping and we ate at Brasserie Blanc in Jericho. Over a twelve-hour period I managed to squeeze in six Negronis, two-thirds of a bottle of rosé, two pints of Little Ox Yabba Dabba Doo and two pints of Timmy Taylor Landlord.
Bit jaded today

pdw1

David L

David L

Lawangeen Abdulrahimzai convicted of murder. The Afghan asylum seeker stabbed and killed 21 year-old aspiring Royal Marine Thomas Roberts after an argument over an e-scooter.
Abdulrahimzai lied to authorities to enter the UK, posing as a child, after previously shooting two dead in Serbia and being convicted of drug offences in Italy.
What mugs we are  >:(

The Picnic Wasp

Very little sleep due to a very painful, swollen Achilles' tendon. It's been threatening a bit recently but really flared up last night after walking the dogs. I don't do much exercise at the moment other than walking, so I can't understand this type of injury. I'm supposed to be picking up my new bike today. I don't know if that's good or bad timing. Maybe pedalling will be ok.

David L

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on January 24, 2023, 10:34:01 AMVery little sleep due to a very painful, swollen Achilles' tendon. It's been threatening a bit recently but really flared up last night after walking the dogs. I don't do much exercise at the moment other than walking, so I can't understand this type of injury. I'm supposed to be picking up my new bike today. I don't know if that's good or bad timing. Maybe pedalling will be ok.
I've been plagued with achilles tendonitis for years on and off. Sometimes can be aggravated by something as innocuous as footersr. Check the back of your shoes. Sounds drastic but may need two vertical cuts to relieve pressure.
Also, if worse in the mornings, I used to sleep in a boot (seriously!) that holds the foot in a 90 degee angle to stop the tendon from relaxing.
Might be worth a try (Amazon)

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: David L on January 24, 2023, 12:25:19 PM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on January 24, 2023, 10:34:01 AMVery little sleep due to a very painful, swollen Achilles' tendon. It's been threatening a bit recently but really flared up last night after walking the dogs. I don't do much exercise at the moment other than walking, so I can't understand this type of injury. I'm supposed to be picking up my new bike today. I don't know if that's good or bad timing. Maybe pedalling will be ok.
I've been plagued with achilles tendonitis for years on and off. Sometimes can be aggravated by something as innocuous as footersr. Check the back of your shoes. Sounds drastic but may need two vertical cuts to relieve pressure.
Also, if worse in the mornings, I used to sleep in a boot (seriously!) that holds the foot in a 90 degee angle to stop the tendon from relaxing.
Might be worth a try (Amazon)

Thanks for the pointers David. Thinking about it now I've probably had some discomfort for a few months, so I'd better not ignore this any longer if it can be chronic as you describe. I'll get onto Amazon and have a look at the boot.😁
It dawned on me today that my big dog Freddie is probably the root of the issue. He's over 9 stone and impossible to hold back when he wants to speak to another dog. I'm probably lucky the tendon hasn't popped. Woke up during the night last night with pain all over my leg stemming from the heel. Nasty condition, mind you I collect those these days.

Slim

Djokovic winning the Australian Open.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Fishy

Quote from: Slim on January 29, 2023, 09:41:35 PMDjokovic winning the Australian Open.

Oh did he?... cunt...!
From The Land of Honest Men