What's made you grumpy today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captainkurtz

Just back from seeing Peter Kay.  Honestly, he wasn't very funny at all.

David L

Quote from: Slim on January 29, 2023, 09:41:35 PMDjokovic winning the Australian Open.
He did very well...considering he's got more than just his opponents against him (and we know why)

Fishy

Quote from: captainkurtz on January 30, 2023, 10:55:52 PMJust back from seeing Peter Kay.  Honestly, he wasn't very funny at all.

I can't say I ever thought he was that funny either
From The Land of Honest Men

pxr5

Quote from: Fishy on January 31, 2023, 08:20:28 AM
Quote from: captainkurtz on January 30, 2023, 10:55:52 PMJust back from seeing Peter Kay.  Honestly, he wasn't very funny at all.

Agreed, I don't see the appeal.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: pxr5 on January 31, 2023, 10:42:17 AM
Quote from: Fishy on January 31, 2023, 08:20:28 AM

Agreed, I don't see the appeal.

That's disappointing to hear. I never liked Phoenix Nights but I always hoped I might see his stand-up show one day. What was the issue? Tired material or perhaps comedy moving on again? He has relied on the extended family, inter generational observation in the past. Perhaps a new younger audience have less empathy with that style.

captainkurtz

Putting it succinctly - he just wasn't very funny.  Gags drawn out for far too long (singing 1970's adverts, zooming in on the audience with his camera, the climax which was again singing old songs lyrics over current songs)

Looked on Twitter afterwards and a host of people saying they've never laughed so much, best night of their lives etc.  Wow.

Funniest thing was the cost of the ticket.

He also looks pretty unwell.  Lost a lot of weight and he just seemed a little tired.  And the shows go on until 2025 as well..

Slim

They didn't have my usual ground coffee at Tesco, so I bought this one.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Nearly wiped out by a Roberts Travel coach driver this afternoon. Just emailed this to them.

Dear Roberts Travel,

At 3:54pm today while cycling south along Measham Road, north of Snarestone, I was overtaken by one of your coaches, a silver grey model with your branding on the back. Your driver was going far too fast for me to make a mental note of the license plate unfortunately.

Visibility was good. This was a perfectly decent, wide road with plenty of space to overtake. The road was visible in front for at least 700 yards and there was no oncoming traffic.

Despite this, he or she decided to give me about a foot of clearance while passing at an unusually high speed.

In over 37,000 miles of road cycling this was the most aggressive and intimidating driving I've ever seen by a person in charge of a motor vehicle. It's no exaggeration whatever to say that I was nearly killed.

My strong suspicion is that your driver thought it would be funny to frighten a cyclist out of their wits. There was absolutely no reason whatever to pass so closely. Your driver could have given me abundantly adequate space without even slowing down, at no risk whatever to anyone.

Either this or they simply weren't paying attention to the presence of other road users.

In either case, we can surely agree that the person in charge of your coach this afternoon is clearly not fit to be driving a motor vehicle of any kind on public roads. I would encourage you to ask him or her kindly to return their driving licence to the DVLA, or to offer it to a shredder at an early opportunity.

In the meantime, I will do my best to raise awareness of this matter as publicly as possible - I do think that's important when it concerns a company entrusted with the safety of its customers on the public roads, let alone innocent road users.

Regards
James
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

New delivery man for the parcel service.
Score so far: one package delivered delayed by a day, one has gone missing in its entirety and the latest one was left on the doorstep just now. Oh well, at least it was delivered..I could just about step over it when opening the door to go out. Of course this was a package with LPs...

Nickslikk2112

Booked British Heart Foundation to give us a quote for clearing out my dad's house. Supposed to come at 10.

Came at half one once they'd been chased up "Oh, we've been to Chesterfield this morning". Well you didn't bloody do us did you? >:(

David L

BP's profits for 2022 more than double that of the previous year. Tells you all you need to know about how the world works  >:(

Slim

Quote from: David L on February 07, 2023, 07:11:54 AMBP's profits for 2022 more than double that of the previous year. Tells you all you need to know about how the world works  >:(

Thing is, it's feast or famine for the big oil companies. It's not long ago that BP turned in an enormous loss ($20bn in May).
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pdw1

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: pdw1 on February 10, 2023, 08:06:19 PMbloody accountants  >:(
Thankfully I am one no longer :)
Resigned my CIMA membership when I found out Truss was a member too - no dick jokes please...