What's made you grumpy today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David L

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on August 28, 2024, 10:22:19 PM
Quote from: Slim on August 19, 2024, 04:44:36 PMI don't think there's a debate really - if you're fond of the large physical media and the ritual and you like a cosy veil of warm, muffly distortion in front of your music, vinyl's for you.

If you prefer the playback medium to be transparent, you want to hear the artist's creation more accurately, you don't want your music to wear out, you're not fond of surface noise, you like your music to be readily portable, quickly accessible, indexed and searchable - clearly digital's for you.

Horses for courses.

My Facebook news feed showed an electron microscope photo of a stylus in a vinyl groove. I have to say it looked a pretty brutal contact at x 1000 magnification. Unsurprising that a degree of unwanted sound is generated. I'm sure it wasn't a coincidence that I was sent this. The world's just one big algorithm.
The more you spend on vinyl playback the less unwanted sound you get.

'They' are 'listening' - change your phone settings  ;)

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on August 28, 2024, 10:22:19 PMMy Facebook news feed showed an electron microscope photo of a stylus in a vinyl groove. I have to say it looked a pretty brutal contact at x 1000 magnification. Unsurprising that a degree of unwanted sound is generated. I'm sure it wasn't a coincidence that I was sent this. The world's just one big algorithm.

Sometimes it's just a coincidence. I was listening to 6 Music on a DAB yesterday and I heard a terrific tune by Amyl and The Sniffers. I hadn't heard of them but made a mental note to check them out and download some of their stuff. Then this morning one of their other tunes came up in my YouTube suggestions.

There's no way for the universe to detect what channel I'm tuned into on a DAB.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Quote from: Slim on August 29, 2024, 10:53:32 AM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on August 28, 2024, 10:22:19 PMMy Facebook news feed showed an electron microscope photo of a stylus in a vinyl groove. I have to say it looked a pretty brutal contact at x 1000 magnification. Unsurprising that a degree of unwanted sound is generated. I'm sure it wasn't a coincidence that I was sent this. The world's just one big algorithm.

Sometimes it's just a coincidence. I was listening to 6 Music on a DAB yesterday and I heard a terrific tune by Amyl and The Sniffers. I hadn't heard of them but made a mental note to check them out and download some of their stuff. Then this morning one of their other tunes came up in my YouTube suggestions.

There's no way for the universe to detect what channel I'm tuned into on a DAB.

Either way, I'd keep a roll of aluminum foil ready.

The Picnic Wasp

I need to think more like my solicitor cousin. His favourite expression is "think coincidence, not conspiracy". I hope he's correct, but I might switch the aluminium foil to Code 4 lead. Just in case.

Thenop

Summer cold, and a bad one. Might be the Manflu. Was nice knowing you all.

Thenop

Getting over the Manflu, next stop the dentist. He just pulled a molar. Anesthetics wearing off now. On my way home for some more pain relief. All done before my holiday so that's the silver lining here.

The Picnic Wasp

What a dreadful night. Norovirus probably. Just horrible. Came over me very quickly after 11pm. Aching, shivers, impossible to get warm and having to get out of bed every few minutes until about 5am. Hopefully a short-lived thing. Too many supermarket visits I think.

David L

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on September 05, 2024, 02:02:17 PMWhat a dreadful night. Norovirus probably. Just horrible. Came over me very quickly after 11pm. Aching, shivers, impossible to get warm and having to get out of bed every few minutes until about 5am. Hopefully a short-lived thing. Too many supermarket visits I think.
Hope you feel better soon

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on September 05, 2024, 02:02:17 PMWhat a dreadful night. Norovirus probably. Just horrible. Came over me very quickly after 11pm. Aching, shivers, impossible to get warm and having to get out of bed every few minutes until about 5am. Hopefully a short-lived thing. Too many supermarket visits I think.

Sorry to hear, get well soon.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Thank you. I think the worst is subsiding. I was a bit worried at the 'flu symptoms as I had a tick bite on the 31st July and it can cause them after a few weeks. But no bullseye rash so probably just a coincidence.

pxr5

Get well soon TPW. It appears you're having a rough time of it recently.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

dom

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully not long lasting

Nick

Stung by a wasp on the hand 2 days ago, still making my hand itchy.

Fishy

Quote from: Nick on September 05, 2024, 11:49:46 PMStung by a wasp on the hand 2 days ago, still making my hand itchy.

Wasps are cunts
From The Land of Honest Men

David L