What's made you grumpy today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David L

Quote from: Thenop on July 29, 2024, 08:22:11 PMJust read about the Southport drama, what a tragedy. Whatever possesses a 17 year old to do something like that is beyond me.

Feel sorry for all involved.
Rumours abound that it's one of the 'usual suspects'

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on July 28, 2024, 04:38:59 PMMy YouTube feed seems to be becoming littered by nutters who spend their time filming in and around police and fire stations in a deliberate attempt to create suspicion and provoke a response from officers. When questioned politely about their activities they have a script of replies protesting that their actions are normal and within the law. Why is this not an offence in terms of wasting police time when we live in an age with the constant threat of terrorist attacks? Police powers seem to be constantly eroded and I fear we are slipping into an age of anarchy.

I wonder if we'll be importing the sovereign citizen lunacy from the USA some time soon, that sounds like the beginnings of it.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Someone managed to overturn a lorry on the M1, closing a stretch of it for several hours and causing Google Maps to direct me along B roads in Northamptonshire and single track lanes in Bedfordshire instead on my way back to Leicestershire from Luton Airport Parkway this afternoon. Long periods of 10mph traffic, with other live satellite navigation users strung out for miles ahead of me.

Really tiresome in a hot car and I didn't want to put the aircon on because I was low on fuel.

Additionally, the multi-storey car park that used to serve Luton Airport Parkway (a railway station) has now apparently been bulldozed to make way for a hotel and they charged me £15 to park there for the day.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Quote from: David L on July 29, 2024, 09:04:21 PM
Quote from: Thenop on July 29, 2024, 08:22:11 PMJust read about the Southport drama, what a tragedy. Whatever possesses a 17 year old to do something like that is beyond me.

The sort of rumours that led to the setting fire of a mosque in Southport

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: dom on July 30, 2024, 09:41:43 PM
Quote from: David L on July 29, 2024, 09:04:21 PM

The sort of rumours that led to the setting fire of a mosque in Southport
Police Van set on fire.
Mosque has only had things thrown at it.

BBC says so , so it's 110% true

dom

Apologies that's right Nick, the suspect was born in Wales and his family from Rwanda (an overwhelmingly Christian country) why aren't they throwing things at the local protestant or catholic church ?

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: dom on July 30, 2024, 09:52:27 PMApologies that's right Nick, the suspect was born in Wales and his family from Rwanda (an overwhelmingly Christian country) why aren't they throwing things at the local protestant or catholic church ?
'Cos there'd only be three old ladies who'd be bovvered :)

David L

Quote from: dom on July 30, 2024, 09:52:27 PMApologies that's right Nick, the suspect was born in Wales and his family from Rwanda (an overwhelmingly Christian country) why aren't they throwing things at the local protestant or catholic church ?
Because they are thick....probably

More vigils, more lighting of candles, more hand-wringing. Predictable reporting, predictable statements from the police, politicians and the King. This sort of thing is no longer shocking, just very sad and depressing. Britain 2024 😢

David L

Man arrested with knife making his way towards vigil in Southport

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-balaclava-clad-man-knife-33361943

You won't hear anything about this on MSM

dom

Was expecting some unheard of website. Since when was the Mirror not mainstream media?

David L

Quote from: dom on July 31, 2024, 08:23:40 AMWas expecting some unheard of website. Since when was the Mirror not mainstream media?
Yes, you could say that's a piece of (fairly) honest reporting from 'MSM', although I don't think they revealed the suspect's etnicity as some other online reports did (which may only increased anger some are currently displaying towards certain sections of society).

My comment was really aimed at the BBC, ITV, Sky etc.

pxr5

My car was in for a major service today. I always explicitly say DO NOT WASH - I even used to put a sign on the dashboard to that effect. I've had 6 Audis since 2008 all from this dealer and they have never washed it. Today the young lady dealing with me asked me if I wanted it washed. No, I said, and she annotated the prelim paperwork accordingly. 

Going to collect my car once the service was done and there was my car - washed. Fuck. So the same young lady comes over with the invoice and I mention that they have washed my car. Sorry, she says and continues to go through the payment. Er no - you've washed my car when we had an agreement that it wouldn't happen. She asks me what I want so I ask for the service manager. He does the same thing - a more sincere apology and continues with the bill. I asked him how much they have deducted for the mistake. He looks at me like I'm an alien, but I was adamant I was not walking out of there without some sort of compensation. Anyway long story short he took off £60 form the exorbitant Audi service bill. I would have been happy with £20 as it's the principal for me. Not enough people complain these days. I always do and expect compensation. I'd guess at about 80-90 percent success with getting something back.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nick

Quote from: pxr5 on July 31, 2024, 08:02:24 PMMy car was in for a major service today. I always explicitly say DO NOT WASH - I even used to put a sign on the dashboard to that effect. I've had 6 Audis since 2008 all from this dealer and they have never washed it. Today the young lady dealing with me asked me if I wanted it washed. No, I said, and she annotated the prelim paperwork accordingly.

Going to collect my car once the service was done and there was my car - washed. Fuck. So the same young lady comes over with the invoice and I mention that they have washed my car. Sorry, she says and continues to go through the payment. Er no - you've washed my car when we had an agreement that it wouldn't happen. She asks me what I want so I ask for the service manager. He does the same thing - a more sincere apology and continues with the bill. I asked him how much they have deducted for the mistake. He looks at me like I'm an alien, but I was adamant I was not walking out of there without some sort of compensation. Anyway long story short he took off £60 form the exorbitant Audi service bill. I would have been happy with £20 as it's the principal for me. Not enough people complain these days. I always do and expect compensation. I'd guess at about 80-90 percent success with getting something back.

Why no wash?

pxr5

Quote from: Nick on July 31, 2024, 10:27:45 PM
Quote from: pxr5 on July 31, 2024, 08:02:24 PMMy car was in for a major service today. I always explicitly say DO NOT WASH - I even used to put a sign on the dashboard to that effect. I've had 6 Audis since 2008 all from this dealer and they have never washed it. Today the young lady dealing with me asked me if I wanted it washed. No, I said, and she annotated the prelim paperwork accordingly.

Why no wash?
It takes me 2 days to machine polish my car - I don't want the paintwork touched by anyone but me. But the real point is they didn't abide by the contract made during the handover of the car
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

captainkurtz

That £60 they took off the bill?  They'll be adding that to your next bill, guaranteed.