What's made you grumpy today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dom

The Picnic Wasp

Made the decision to sell my lovely wee car. Not much point in a two seater convertible when photophobia is my main eye problem now. Such a shame as it was difficult to find such a good example. The right colour, stupidly low mileage and showroom condition. Still I suppose it's the right time of year to advertise it. I've never sold privately before. I suppose all the neds and tyrekickers will make an appearance. Or hairdressers if I'm lucky.

pxr5

My wife and I took the dogs for a walk earlier. Going around a field we wandered over to an adjacent one and spotted it full of cows and bulls chomping the grass. Suddenly these two teenage girls appeared from nowhere and made to climb over a style to get in with the cows. We gave them a stern warning about the danger of cows, to be answered with "we want to make a tik-tok so we can go viral". Seriously is this all the youth of today are bothered about? Thankfully they heeded our advice after pointing out there were bulls in there as well a cows and calves. Maybe we saved a life today ::)
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

Interesting one. Sue and I sometimes go walking on public footpaths through fields with cows in them and we've seen bulls once or twice as well, but - I think the ones kept in fields without a public right of way through them are liable to be dangerous as you say.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Ive only been scared by cattle once. There used to be a dairy farm close to my home before all the house building happened in the 70s. Cows used to occasionally knock down our fence and enter the garden so I was used to them as a child. However, on one visit to my girlfriend's hometown we decided to take a walk in Constable country.

We hired a boat and rowed along the River Stour. There was a muddy bank at one point with a couple of cattle having a drink. As we slowly approached them, a couple of dozen more appeared, mostly young bulls I think.

They started bellowing and snorting, running up and down the bank and two or three came into the river which was quite shallow at this point. They were obviously really peeved by our presence so I about turned and rowed like it was the Boat Race back to where we hired the boat. A genuinely frightening experience. Cattle aren't to be messed with, especially if there are calves in the field.