Competitive Cycling

Started by Nickslikk2112, June 16, 2023, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: dom on September 05, 2024, 05:09:49 PMNice to see 2 French cyclists in the top 10 and both moving up a place at Landa's expense
Typical narrow-minded, insular, chauvinistic French attitude there Dom.

Us Brits appreciate the riders for their derring-do, their attacking, their plucky underdog status. We shed a tear when WvA has to abandon, we shed a tear of joy when riders from Equipo Kern Pharma pull of victories with panache :)

And who are these French riders? Well, serial wheel-sucker David Gaudu and Italian born Russian Pavel Sivakov, clinging to his little three coloured flag of convenience.

And Mikel Landa is a fine rider who has come out of his shell a bit and is riding with renewed vigour since his move to T-Rex Quickstep.

dom

Landa always seems to slip away. Never truly reached his potential. Today just backed that up.

I think you sre being unsurprisingly harsh on Gaudu's ability.

Sivakov was born in Italy to Russian parents but his cycling education was French. That is where he was brought up.

Nothing wrong with supporting plucky French cyclists.

Not sure how representative of Brits your perspective is, probably as valid as mine 😂

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: dom on September 05, 2024, 10:22:27 PMI think you sre being unsurprisingly harsh on Gaudu's ability.
No :)

QuoteSivakov was born in Italy to Russian parents but his cycling education was French. That is where he was brought up.
Simon Carr was brought up in France, but he's man enough to ride for the land of his birth, being as he was born in Hereford. Mind, he's thick as mince, in his mind being born in Hereford qualifies him for Wales

If the Russians weren't such cheats and rotters Sivakov would be competing under their flag, it was only after the Russian invasion of Ukraine that he found a flag of convenience to cling to.

Anyhoo, I've not talked enough about the tour of Britain, it's been good racing so far, LouLou and Remco have been trying to rip it up, but Stevie Williams - genuine Taff - is in the lead after winning stages two and three.

However, even though it starts from my home county today it's duller from here on in, the hills disappear. I expect Soudal Quick-Step will be all in for Paul Magnier.

On a chauvinistic note, it's good to see that three of the Equipe continentale Groupama-FDJ team are plucky Brits  ;D

dom

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on September 06, 2024, 10:34:44 AM
Quote from: dom on September 05, 2024, 10:22:27 PMI think you sre being unsurprisingly harsh on Gaudu's ability.
No :)

QuoteSivakov was born in Italy to Russian parents but his cycling education was French. That is where he was brought up.
Simon Carr was brought up in France, but he's man enough to ride for the land of his birth, being as he was born in Hereford. Mind, he's thick as mince, in his mind being born in Hereford qualifies him for Wales

If the Russians weren't such cheats and rotters Sivakov would be competing under their flag, it was only after the Russian invasion of Ukraine that he found a flag of convenience to cling to.

Anyhoo, I've not talked enough about the tour of Britain, it's been good racing so far, LouLou and Remco have been trying to rip it up, but Stevie Williams - genuine Taff - is in the lead after winning stages two and three.

However, even though it starts from my home county today it's duller from here on in, the hills disappear. I expect Soudal Quick-Step will be all in for Paul Magnier.

On a chauvinistic note, it's good to see that three of the Equipe continentale Groupama-FDJ team are plucky Brits  ;D

Entente Cordiale eh? Perhaps we could learn a thing or 2 from their example.

Sivakov is essentially the French version of Raducanu. Either could have chosen a number of countries to represent, one chose France the other the UK.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: dom on September 06, 2024, 02:03:31 PMSivakov is essentially the French version of Raducanu. Either could have chosen a number of countries to represent, one chose France the other the UK.
Raducanu? She's a bloody Canuck!!!
I hate Tennis, I'd strip anyone who competes for Britain of their citizenship!

Nickslikk2112

Roglification puts Roglic in Rojo. O'Connor fought hard, but he's not on the same level.
Gaudu wheelsucked his way to second.
Skjelmose took white from Rodriquez.

Big day tomorrow though. Over 5,000m of climbing, seven categorised climbs.

dom

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on September 06, 2024, 02:56:46 PM
Quote from: dom on September 06, 2024, 02:03:31 PMSivakov is essentially the French version of Raducanu. Either could have chosen a number of countries to represent, one chose France the other the UK.
Raducanu? She's a bloody Canuck!!!
I hate Tennis, I'd strip anyone who competes for Britain of their citizenship!
I knew that was coming 😂

dom

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on September 06, 2024, 04:44:31 PMRoglification puts Roglic in Rojo. O'Connor fought hard, but he's not on the same level.
Gaudu wheelsucked his way to second.
Skjelmose took white from Rodriquez.

Big day tomorrow though. Over 5,000m of climbing, seven categorised climbs.

HA!

Thenop

The Roglinator struck in full force, the way Martinez ripped even his own teammate apart..
But he's there, he won't let go now. O'Connor is done, I hope he survives tomorrow.

Still interesting who will become 2 and 3,there are a couple of contenders still..

Thenop

Eddie Dunbar.. Again! It's the Vuelta of the 2 and 3 wins
O'Connor on the podium, well done.
And. Roglic does what Roglic does. Well played.

Nickslikk2112

Second stage win for Eddie Dunbar, more or less as you were for the rest, but Carlos Rodriquez slipped back.
Rumours of Salmonella in Red Bull Bora, Primoz did what he needed to though and Ben o'Connor showed better today.

Chapeau to Jay Vine for getting King of the Mountains, real ding-dong battle between him and Marc "Plans, what plans?" Soler.

Nickslikk2112

And the tour of Britain was won by Stevie Williams, a Welshman.
Been a good race, a lot happened in today's supposedly straightforward sprinter's stage. Including Tom Pidcock pulling out after a crash.

Thenop

So Kung picks up the last TT stage and no change to the final 3 which is a major achievement for O'Connor. Well done!

Same place next year then?

Thenop

Of course let's not forget we have said goodbye to a Dutch icon of cycling: Robert Gesink

Nickslikk2112

So, no changes as you'd expect, apart from Gaudu dropping a place - no wheel to suck  ;D