Competitive Cycling

Started by Nickslikk2112, June 16, 2023, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

Tom Pidcock's afternoon ride:

https://www.strava.com/activities/9419603994/

Matteo Jorgenson set a KOM on the Puy de Dome climb on a recce run @ 40", Pidcock took 33'50" today. Pog and Vingegaard will have been quicker...

Nickslikk2112

Cycle racing ought to be quite simple. Today was a Dude WTF day! I missed all the fun at the start as well. Would have been nice if they'd kept the Peloton split to force Bardet and Gaudu out of the top 10.
Hopefully the Yates brothers and Pidcock can reclaim the positions they lost.

And just what were WvA and MvdP up to?

Kept forgetting to mention last week about the Giro Donne going on, won by Annemiek van Vleuten, a young whippersnapper of 40!

Slim

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 09, 2023, 11:46:13 PMTom Pidcock's afternoon ride:

I find that astonishing. Averaging 25mph over 118 miles. Can't even imagine it.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 11, 2023, 04:58:13 PMCycle racing ought to be quite simple. Today was a Dude WTF day! I missed all the fun at the start as well. Would have been nice if they'd kept the Peloton split to force Bardet and Gaudu out of the top 10.

Kept forgetting to mention last week about the Giro Donne going on, won by Annemiek van Vleuten, a young whippersnapper of 40!

WVA was just stupid. MvdP just had to try, he has nothing to defend, WVA has!
In the end Bilbao winning was beautiful in honour of his lost teammate.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Slim on July 11, 2023, 05:14:19 PM
Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 09, 2023, 11:46:13 PMTom Pidcock's afternoon ride:

Quote from: Slim on July 11, 2023, 05:14:19 PM

That's why he's a pro rider and we're not :)

I'd hope - vainly - for a 14.5 mph average on a ride like that. Don't know if I could do the last 4km @ 11% though...

dom

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 11, 2023, 04:58:13 PMCycle racing ought to be quite simple. Today was a Dude WTF day! I missed all the fun at the start as well. Would have been nice if they'd kept the Peloton split to force Bardet and Gaudu out of the top 10.

Bardet and Gaudu are 2 fine cyclists.  Why did you want them to drop out of the top 10?

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: dom on July 12, 2023, 01:20:00 PM

Bardet and Gaudu are 2 fine cyclists.  Why did you want them to drop out of the top 10?
They're French, can't have French cyclists doing well in the Grande Boucle ;D

Oh, and Gaudu wears specs and neither of them like Goats.

dom

About time we had a proper resurgence in French Cycling.  Too many Brits and American types thinking they can cycle, just won't do!

Thenop

Philipsen again, by far the fastest in the game at the moment.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: dom on July 12, 2023, 02:43:41 PMAbout time we had a proper resurgence in French Cycling.  Too many Brits and American types thinking they can cycle, just won't do!
Don't forget the Brits who think they are Irish - although none are at the TdF.

Never thought Philipsen would be so dominant in the sprints as I thought the big sprint names seemed fairly evenly matched. But hey, what do I know...

Thenop

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 12, 2023, 05:04:06 PM
Quote from: dom on July 12, 2023, 02:43:41 PMAbout time we had a proper resurgence in French Cycling.  Too many Brits and American types thinking they can cycle, just won't do!
Don't forget the Brits who think they are Irish - although none are at the TdF.

Never thought Philipsen would be so dominant in the sprints as I thought the big sprint names seemed fairly evenly matched. But hey, what do I know...

It's the Tour de France, normal rules do not apply.

Nickslikk2112

Bonkers again today. If you'd only seen the second half of the race you'd think it had just been a regular TdF stage, but it was attack after attack after attack with no thought as to why it was being done. Wonderful.

And Cofidis wait 15 years for a stage win and two turn up at once. Well done Ion Izagirre.

Thenop

Well deserved. MvdP not yet strong enough but had me on the edge of my seat for a while.

Roll on tomorrow: Le Grand Colombier!

Thenop

Well done Kwiatkowski  8) but the rest was a big letdown to be honest. Pogacar waiting till the last 500 metred and pinching a few seconds. Meh. I feel Vingegaard might be stronger than him. Less explosive but more stamina. We will see the coming days which are more for him.

Nickslikk2112

I enjoyed it, Pog just chip, chip, chipping away, the next couple of days will be a bigger test though.

Nice to see 4 Brits in the top 10 and all from the North too (Midlands counts as North) but gutted for James Shaw, couldn't quite hang on for a podium finish.

Crikey! I was so overjoyed by the surfeit of Brits in the top 10 today, I failed to mention the lack of Frenchies :) Tom Pidcock did suggest that after his victory on Alpe d'huez last year that la fĂȘte nationale should be renamed la fĂȘte d'INEOS.