Competitive Cycling

Started by Nickslikk2112, June 16, 2023, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenop

Yes and no, he was the one that made Vingegaard win the tour last year. If the team, collectively, want to win, they should put forward the best riders to increase their chance of winning.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Thenop on July 05, 2023, 11:01:40 AMYes and no, he was the one that made Vingegaard win the tour last year. If the team, collectively, want to win, they should put forward the best riders to increase their chance of winning.

But you don't want too many bosses and not enough workers. I think the Vuelta is Roglic's race.

Well, today certainly didn't go how people thought! Don't like seeing Australians winning things at the moment, but it's tipping towards Vingegaard now. Pogacar is definitely undercooked after his injury break, maybe he'll gain form over the race but it'll be too late.

Thenop

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 05, 2023, 05:05:59 PM
Quote from: Thenop on July 05, 2023, 11:01:40 AMYes and no, he was the one that made Vingegaard win the tour last year. If the team, collectively, want to win, they should put forward the best riders to increase their chance of winning.

But you don't want too many bosses and not enough workers. I think the Vuelta is Roglic's race.

Well, today certainly didn't go how people thought! Don't like seeing Australians winning things at the moment, but it's tipping towards Vingegaard now. Pogacar is definitely undercooked after his injury break, maybe he'll gain form over the race but it'll be too late.

Vingegaard looks really strong and super focused.
Hindley won't win this, Bora does not have the team to carry this for 3 weeks.

As interesting as this was, I am a bit afraid the fireworks have come & gone. Hindley will have a bad day, Vingegaard will gain the time and defend. Unless Pogacar really stands up it'll be boring from now on.
I hope not, but I think it will be.

Nickslikk2112

Hindley has won a Giro. He also came second to Tao Geoghegan Hart the year before and with the best will in the world Tao would never win the tour. It's not yet over, but it's getting there.

So long as we get sun in the mountains things will pick up, tomorrow's finish is where Mrs S learned to ski so she wants to get a good view.

Thenop

Well it's Pogacar again then. Hindley not strong enough.
Vingegaard has the best team.
Might just turn out to be an interesting 2,5 weeks to come.

Nickslikk2112

Rip up your predictions and flush 'em away. Game back on!
Once again I didn't see that one coming. JV have the grand plans, but Pog just makes them up as he goes along. I'll have to watch the last 10k again after Mrs S gets home.

Big shout out for James Shaw too, nice to see a local lad doing well. Don't like seeing him when he flies by me on his training runs - first in Ribble Weldtite colours, now EF Pro Cycling - but he was up there with the big boys for a long while.

Nickslikk2112

ARSE!!! I really thought Cav had got that one. Can't believe he got so close from where he was 1k out, seems as if his gears weren't changing properly and he had had a wheel change about 40k out so maybe the indexing was a bit out. It made Mrs S run when she heard me shouting "COME ON CAV!" so check your local seismometers for action at about 16:15!

Thenop

I would have liked Cav for this one as well. The sad news is, Philipsen is on course for Green, which means he'll try and outlive the Alps to bring that jersey home.
Still rooting for Cav to get at least 1 stage so he beats the record. It's about time.

Thenop

Oh no Cav! Does not look good  :(

David L

Quote from: Thenop on July 08, 2023, 02:41:58 PMOh no Cav! Does not look good  :(
Yep, he's out. Rough luck

dom

A real pity, really thought he was going to do it

Nickslikk2112

From the near highs of yesterday to the lows of today. It's a tough sport is cycle racing. Pity the appeals against Philipsen weren't upheld yesterday. Robbie McEwen said that if Girmay had ended up crashing Philipsen would have been relegated, but no crash no relegation.

Steff Cras who was 13th on GC has had to quit following a crash near the finish which cost Simon Yates two places.

Thenop

That was a bit of a climb... It is such an unfair sort, you see the American out for 50-60 km and then Woods comes and takes over on the last 600 meters.

Ah well, resting day tomorrow and then we'll see what damage the Alps will do!

dom

You have to admire Woods though. His attack was timed superbly.

I'm sure they'll all enjoy thd rest day

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: dom on July 09, 2023, 05:52:32 PMYou have to admire Woods though. His attack was timed superbly.

Yes and he's the right sort of American - a Canuck not a Seppo :) It's not over until you cross the finish line.

Nice to see Tom Pidcock up there near the end, I thought he'd been a bit off on the climbing so far. He's certainly doing better than his CX buddies WvA and MvdP, but then he doesn't have to empty himself like WvA