Competitive Cycling

Started by Nickslikk2112, June 16, 2023, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

I'll talk to myself in here then.

Awful what happened to Gino Mäder yesterday. It's a dangerous sport is Cycling to go off down a ravine and end up under water is just awful. Magnus Sheffield goes the same way and it's concussion and contusions.

There's talk of it being a dangerous descent, but any descent is in the right circumstances.

Slim

Heard about that on the news - I don't follow the cycling competitions myself and hadn't heard of him, but what a tragedy.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on June 16, 2023, 09:13:11 PMI'll talk to myself in here then.

Awful what happened to Gino Mäder yesterday. It's a dangerous sport is Cycling to go off down a ravine and end up under water is just awful. Magnus Sheffield goes the same way and it's concussion and contusions.

There's talk of it being a dangerous descent, but any descent is in the right circumstances.

The problem here was that they could have finished up top but they (the organization) decided not to and add to the excitement by a downhill finish where the riders clock up to 100kph to reach the bottom.
A tragedy for sure and while the riders could be more 'careful' these circumstnces are bound to cause accidents. With the adrenalin pumping no one feels the danger.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Thenop on June 17, 2023, 08:33:08 AM
Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on June 16, 2023, 09:13:11 PMI'll talk to myself in here then.

The problem here was that they could have finished up top but they (the organization) decided not to and add to the excitement by a downhill finish where the riders clock up to 100kph to reach the bottom.
A tragedy for sure and while the riders could be more 'careful' these circumstnces are bound to cause accidents. With the adrenalin pumping no one feels the danger.
They could have finished at the top, but the local municipal authorities put up the money to have stages finish in their towns, so that's where they sometimes finish. Today's Tour of Slovenia stage was after a descent from a Cat 1 climb.

I'm surprised there aren't more fatalities with all the racing I watch, just little random things can cause a major incident.

Nickslikk2112

Well, that's the Tour de France under way (not in France of course) and a good day for a couple of Brits: Adam and Simon Yates came in first and second. Must be the first time identical twins have done that in the Grand Boucle.

Not so good for my "mate" James Shaw in his first tour as he came in 9'53" down, but I think he was down as Richard Carapaz's wing man and stopped with him after the crash involving Carapaz and Enric Mas. Carapaz had two bloodied knees and looked none too comfortable, but at least he continued unlike Mas.

Good to see Pog coming in third. I like Pog, he seems a good egg. Fantastic crowds out in Gernika and Bilbao too. Hope it's not that busy at the Road World's in Glasgae.

As a penance for his coming over I made my brother watch the race. At least he got to see Orla Chennaoui, one of his mates has told him that's she's a babe. A badly dressed trollop according to me.

Nickslikk2112

I think the Tour is taking tips from Bazball, two days in and it's manic. Pog and Vingegaard doing a bit of slugging it out already. Pidock trying to sprint from 3k out, then Cofidis get a first stage win in 15 years through Baby Faced Victor Lafay, who sprinted from 1k out holding off a pissed off WvA. Come now Wout, do you really think Vingegaard will do a lead out for you.

Best of all was seeing Pog doing an impression of a pissed off WvA to Adam Yates :)

Nickslikk2112

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddddddddd relax.

A nothing much doing day. Just a two man break so Neilson Powless could keep the Polka Dot Jersey. The last 30k were a bit frantic though, like the last 5k of a regular sprint stage. Cav came in 5th, maybe he can get to 35 stage wins.

The last three days have been a fantastic advert for the Euskadi tourist board, tempted to get a flight to Bilbao, maybe even one back. Spanish Basque Country > French Basque country.

Slim

What channel's it on? Maybe I'm missing out.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Slim on July 04, 2023, 09:34:13 AMWhat channel's it on? Maybe I'm missing out.
Shown live on ITV4, highlights on ITV4 @ 7pm

You have to have a liking for scenery and hope there's a few crashed to liven it up :)

dom

Very true, The Spanish Basque country is much bigger than its French equivalent both in terms of geographical size and population.  Same is true with Catalonia

Thenop

I love the slow tv that it is. They are now at 7k for the bunch sprint. I do hope Cab gets 1 win, but it will not be today.

Thenop

So MvdP as locomotiv and Philipsen as the puncher. Nice combo, 2 days in a row. Some nasty crashes near the end as well.
First HC climb tomorrow, let's see who shows up

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Thenop on July 04, 2023, 07:17:58 PMSo MvdP as locomotiv and Philipsen as the puncher. Nice combo, 2 days in a row. Some nasty crashes near the end as well.
Yes, surprised at the amount of crashes at the end. If only Cav hadn't chosen to follow Pedersen and had managed to get on the MvdP express, he might have got a 3rd! He's doing better than I thought.

I think they'll let the break take the HC, then UAE go for the bonus seconds on the Marie Blanque. With the Pyrenees coming so early things may be a bit cagey, but then again they might let rip from the off, what do I know?

Thenop

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 04, 2023, 09:47:22 PM
Quote from: Thenop on July 04, 2023, 07:17:58 PMSo MvdP as locomotiv and Philipsen as the puncher. Nice combo, 2 days in a row. Some nasty crashes near the end as well.
Yes, surprised at the amount of crashes at the end. If only Cav hadn't chosen to follow Pedersen and had managed to get on the MvdP express, he might have got a 3rd! He's doing better than I thought.

I think they'll let the break take the HC, then UAE go for the bonus seconds on the Marie Blanque. With the Pyrenees coming so early things may be a bit cagey, but then again they might let rip from the off, what do I know?

Guess with the amount of climbs this tour they'll ease into it. Still don't get why Jumbo did not bring Roglic like last year to lure Pog out.
I get that he wants to do Giro Vuelta, but surely Le Tour trumps both of them?

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Thenop on July 05, 2023, 05:28:29 AM
Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 04, 2023, 09:47:22 PM

Guess with the amount of climbs this tour they'll ease into it. Still don't get why Jumbo did not bring Roglic like last year to lure Pog out.
I get that he wants to do Giro Vuelta, but surely Le Tour trumps both of them?
Roglic tends to have bad luck in the Tour