British Fruit In Season

Started by The Picnic Wasp, June 15, 2023, 04:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Picnic Wasp

I'm so used to not really enjoying fruit that I buy from supermarkets these days that I'm thoroughly loving the local produce at the moment. In particular I don't think anything gets close to a perfectly ripe Scottish strawberry in the summer. I noticed last year that once the strawberry season is starting to wane, that British cherries appeared on the shelves. I think they were from Kent. They were very dark coloured massive fruits and absolutely delicious. Also, not that expensive (well in Aldi anyway). The one I miss though from my childhood days are the large dessert gooseberries we used to get. Never see those nowadays, just the occasional bullet hard variety which would really only be good in a pie. Later on, when everything is starting to get a bit tasteless again, Victoria plums appear. Early September usually, but only for a week or two. The only plums worth bothering about I think.

Thenop

Looking forward to Dutch strawberry season as well. Cherries are a bit local but Holland is mainly apple country. But eating apples doesn't go over well for me, gives me stomach pain. Pears are local too, kind of OK I guess.

Blackberries though grow everywhere in the wild and are due in August. Can't wait!

Slim

I like bananas. Satsumas, sometimes. I eat pineapple chunks a few times a week, just because I feel I ought to get a fruit dose.

I think that's it.

Unless you count tomatoes. Tomatoes are great.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Apricots every morning (with Greek yoghurt)and an apple every day. Bananas occasionally but they don't agree with my digestive system. Love tinned peaches, in fruit juice.....obviously
I find it a bit of a struggle to get decent apples nowadays. Even when they are in season, I think you are sometimes eating the previous year's that have been in some form of suspended existence. Hate a 'pappy' apple.
Plums get my vote too.
I love tomatoes but for about the last ten years I've had some issues with my digestive system so I have to avoid them now. My guess is that I have a mild form of diverticulitis so I need to avoid any fruit with small seeds, so fruit with stones for me these days.

The Picnic Wasp

I also have had digestive problems for about the same length of time. I discovered a few years ago I have Graves' disease. It's an autoimmune condition most noted for causing thyroid issues but I'm convinced having spoken to many fellow sufferers that it causes intestinal complications. I have to be wary with fruit consumption. Apples can sometimes cause difficulty, but berries, citrus and tropical fruits seem to be tolerated. Whenever I have any alcohol I usually avoid fruit for a few days afterwards to create a balance.