What's made your day today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

It really is a very nice beach there. Just a shame it's in the north-east of England.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Matt2112 on May 28, 2023, 06:45:55 PMNorthumberland really is spectacular.
On my list of places to go. I have been - but I was about 2

Matt2112

I've always wanted to go to Northumberland to stargaze as it has the darkest skies in England.

However that wasn't of course the purpose of our visit today; it's late May for a start. ::) :)

dom

Visit to Heptonstal as part of our brief stay in Yorkshire. Beautiful part of the World and the location of Sylvia Plath's grave. Since she was a part of my son's Leaving Cert qualification he's become a huge admirer and it was very touching to see how it affected him emotionally.

captainkurtz

Blur gig tonight.  I still get buzzed after a really great show - and that was one..

Slim

This clip of Stanley Unwin talking to Bill Wyman came up on Twitter. This takes place in 1984, but my god how young does Bill look here? He'll be 87 in October.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

captainkurtz

Depeche mode have been a bucket list band for years and I finally saw them these evening and they were astounding.

Thenop

Drove 3,5 hours back and forth to have my record player checked. The only guy I trust. Bought a new stylus last December, put it on myself and did a quick check then.
I spent another 3,5 hours just being there and watch & learn how he dissected 3 old Technics tables from 1978 (!) and the 80's. Think I learned more then I could hanging out on YouTube for 10 years.

My table was in excellent shape except I bought a clamp a while back that apparently started grinding into the spindle, had not noticed it but I could clearly see the scrapings when opened up...no real damage yet fortunately. Happy to know this now before the bearings get clogged up. Decided to buy a weight instead.

Had coffee, a good talk & a good time and spent the price of the weight. No service charge, nothing. They still exist, people not just out for your money but actually caring for their customers.

Basspedalman

Excellent Roger Waters gig last night at The O2....

David L

Quote from: Basspedalman on June 07, 2023, 11:14:55 AMExcellent Roger Waters gig last night at The O2....
Are you sure you're allowed to say that? The CDU will be on your case  ;)

dom

Telegraph going into administration  ;D 

pxr5

First hot shower in 10 days since we had a tank leak. That git of a doctor on the TV who says cold showers are good for you is talking utter shite - I just wanted to die.  :'(  :o
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

dom

I can cope with turning the shower to cold for the last 30 seconds. Not sure I'd manage the whole shower though!

Slim

'er indoors and I went to a restaurant in Ashby this evening. A nice place called Zamani's with a cocktail bar attached. Really nice meal, friendly staff, lovely cosy place.

I asked for the bill; it came. I looked at it carefully. Seemed a bit light. I realised we hadn't been charged for the desserts. I must admit I did think about just getting away with it and if it had been a big restaurant chain I might have. But I got up to go and explain what had happened.

As I rose, an extravagantly tanned Italian gentleman who'd been sitting at a table nearby with his partner and another couple got up from his chair and intercepted me on the way over. He'd noticed me puzzling over the bill. "Can I get you some help with the bill? Is there a problem?" he wanted to know. He introduced himself as the owner. "Yes there is", I replied. I paused for a bit of dramatic tension. Then I said "We haven't been charged for dessert!"

He broke into a smile. "Thank-you for your honesty. It's on the house", he said. I tried to insist on paying, saying that I didn't want to take advantage of someone's mistake. But he wasn't having it. "Don't charge the gentleman for dessert!" he shouted over to the girl at the counter.

Then as we finished our drinks and got up to leave, he offered a handshake as we passed his table. I thanked him again.

Isn't that nice? So much better than sneaking out without mentioning it, and the same outcome.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Nice!

Sounds like the sort of establishment tended to be found on any given Greek island. :)