What's made your day today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

Quote from: dom on August 12, 2024, 12:26:42 AMGreat win for Halifax. And even though I wasn't that far away (Wakefield) Oh couldn't attend as my mum is very unwell (Pinderfields). Was thinking it would have been nice to say hello Matt so its a consolation that you weren't in the country at the time

Sorry to hear your mum is unwell; my best wishes to you.

Maybe the stars will align again on another gameday, it would have been a pleasure to meet you. :)

Matt2112

Sitting right at the front of a boat with the young 'un, our legs dangling over the edge, foam bouncing onto them as we bobbed on at pace through the Med back toward Paphos harbour, after a swim stop and shipwreck visit a few hundred metres off the coast...this type of thing is always my favourite part of our jollies. :)

Slim

When I was maybe 12 or 13, I spent one long summer holiday mostly watching the telly. And one morning, ITV (probably) showed an old black&white sci-fi film about a spaceship roaming deep space, far from Earth. It had a really eerie atmosphere, and one of the crew was a disconnected head in a glass container.

They showed the same film again a few months later, or possibly the next summer holidays, so I saw it twice. The main thing I've always remembered about it was that the spaceship was called "ICI". I did wonder if the chemical company of the same name had bought the rights and buried it.

For years I've looked for a reference to the film online. I assumed it was made in the '50s. A discussion about summer holidays on 5 Live earlier made me think of it. I googled it again, no joy.

Then I thought to myself: maybe the spaceship was called IC1? Lo and behold ..

Amusingly, it's set in 2015. And it was made in 1965.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

Back to work after the holidays and piles of emails.. but knowing it's 200 ish days to go til it doesn't matter.. the delete button is proving very useful as well..
From The Land of Honest Men

pxr5

My son and his girlfriend are on holiday on the Isle of Man just now. He proposed today in a little cove that is one of her favourite places to be. She said YES. The engagement ring he got her was my wife's grandmother's. He got the diamond remounted and it looks stunning. He spoke to her parents beforehand to ask permission - how old-fashioned, but sweet.  :)
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

A week or so ago I ordered two cans of the popular lubricant / water repellent aerosol product GT88 from Amazon. One of them came with the red straw missing, which nearly prompted a post in the Grumpy thread.

And yet - today I was in ASDA and I noticed they had some discounted GT85, so I bought some. One of the two that I picked up somehow had two red straws sellotaped to it.

It's as if I was singled out by fate to restore some balance to the universe.

Having said that, I always keep them once the can's empty so I have dozens.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: pxr5 on August 28, 2024, 08:17:16 PMMy son and his girlfriend are on holiday on the Isle of Man just now. He proposed today in a little cove that is one of her favourite places to be. She said YES. The engagement ring he got her was my wife's grandmother's. He got the diamond remounted and it looks stunning. He spoke to her parents beforehand to ask permission - how old-fashioned, but sweet.  :)

Lovely story and your lad sounds like a real gent. I hope they have a great future together.

Slim

My own proposal, as submitted to the present Mrs Slim in early 2006, was less romantic. One Sunday morning we were reclining in my bed in Derby, listening to Steve Wright's Sunday Love Songs, which I could never abide personally but the other half always liked it.

Steve played a record for a couple who'd just got engaged. I had absolutely no intention of asking Sue to marry me that weekend, or even a firm intention to ask her to marry me at all. And yet I uttered the words "do you think we should get married?"

The reply was a definite yes, so that was the matter settled. I bought a ring the next weekend.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Websites like Reverb and Autotrader switching to dark mode. So much easier on these sore eyes.

Thenop

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on August 29, 2024, 12:20:04 PMWebsites like Reverb and Autotrader switching to dark mode. So much easier on these sore eyes.

Always use dark mode, suits both my eyes and my demeanor.

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on August 29, 2024, 12:20:04 PMWebsites like Reverb and Autotrader switching to dark mode. So much easier on these sore eyes.
Quote from: Thenop on August 29, 2024, 02:01:45 PMAlways use dark mode, suits both my eyes and my demeanor.

Interesting because I think the theme that this site uses only has a dark mode on the phone version. I'll have to look into that.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

I can't get to anything but the default theme on my phone.

Fishy

RSPB giving me my postage back on a next day delivery item that took 2 days..
From The Land of Honest Men

Matt2112

Really happy to hear that Brian May has apparently made a full recovery after having a mild stroke recently, and after a week or so of his playing abilities being compromised he's back up to full speed. :)

David L

Quote from: Matt2112 on September 04, 2024, 11:00:45 PMReally happy to hear that Brian May has apparently made a full recovery after having a mild stroke recently, and after a week or so of his playing abilities being compromised he's back up to full speed. :)
Badgers everywhere breathe a sigh of relief  :)