What's made your day today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

^ Nice. Our son was rummaging through some old Xbox games and reckoned one of them was worth £200+ as it came in a steel case - one of the Call of Duty games.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Fishy

Still got my original Xbox.. and controllers
From The Land of Honest Men

pxr5

I've got 3 original Xboxes (all modded for XBMC), a couple of Xbox 360s and an Xbox One - they're really my lads, but he's left them here - for me lol.

Slim

Quote from: Thenop on July 29, 2024, 06:15:15 PMSaw a piece on the news last week here that compact camera's are very hip amongst the late teens / early twenty-ers. Went through the storage and found on (a Nikon) from some years ago, charged the battery, low and behold it worked like a charm. Stuck it on Marktplaats (Dutch Ebay sort of), was just picked up for 90 euros. Nice.
I have so much 'stuff' I really need to find more. I sold for around 2K last year alone. Have 2 Ipods classic 120Gb and 160Gb, they should fetch a few tenners.

I have loads of stuff I never use. I think I have an iPod somewhere as well. 80GB one I think. I think it has an actual spinning hard drive.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

We sold our ex rental house today (it's taken from March for the overpaid solicitors to do this btw - gits). No mortgage on it - boom, tons of cash.

Nick

Complained about a bit of blue string in my tea pigs lemon and ginger tea temple (Bag). New box on the way as compensation.

Thenop

My Wordle oneliner this morning. I was walking the dogs and contemplated 2 similar opening words. I chose the right one.
I can now die knowing I have done it.
Next up: a 9 darter.

Matt2112

Virtue signal alert:

The young 'un asked a perfectly reasonable question in good faith about why most sprinters in the Olympic Games are black ("I don't want to be racist, I just want to know..."), the reasoning being of course that, on the face of it, their ability is due purely to their skin colour.

I explained, as simply as I could, how that's an example of correlation and not causation (the real reasons aren't uncomplicated).

She got it; the conversation took about five minutes and that was that; why can't all discourse about identitarian issues be like this?

Matt2112

Some Cypriot natives have just asked - with some degree of incredulity and admiration - where and how I learnt my Greek (for I have indeed arrived today in the Greek half of Cyprus).

I've only a week and a half of this to get through, folks... ;) :D 8)

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Matt2112 on August 07, 2024, 11:45:49 PMSome Cypriot natives have just asked - with some degree of incredulity and admiration - where and how I learnt my Greek (for I have indeed arrived today in the Greek half of Cyprus).

Amazing! I've always had a longing to learn Italian. Properly. Goes back to those mostly boring and sometimes fascinating Latin classes. But Greek. Some of the guys in my year elected Ancient Greek for O Grade but the idea of another alphabet was beyond my imagination or capabilities at that time. I should pick up a book now that time weighs quite heavily.

Matt2112

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on August 08, 2024, 12:03:55 AM
Quote from: Matt2112 on August 07, 2024, 11:45:49 PMSome Cypriot natives have just asked - with some degree of incredulity and admiration - where and how I learnt my Greek (for I have indeed arrived today in the Greek half of Cyprus).

Amazing! I've always had a longing to learn Italian. Properly. Goes back to those mostly boring and sometimes fascinating Latin classes. But Greek. Some of the guys in my year elected Ancient Greek for O Grade but the idea of another alphabet was beyond my imagination or capabilities at that time. I should pick up a book now that time weighs quite heavily.

Well, the Greek alphabet has two fewer letters than the English one... ;)

I must declare that it's not my (limited) vocab that impresses native Greek speakers so much, it's that what I do know I articulate really well, with all the stresses in the right place etc.  So, of course, they assume I'm fluent and speak to me as if I am, at which point I politely point out I'm not...in Greek of course! ;) :)

Fishy

Mount Teide dark skies thing last night. awesome.. watched sunset over la palma then later it was loads of stars.. the mooon... Saturn all thru telescopes.. oh and  three satellites.. one being the Hubble Space Telescope
From The Land of Honest Men

Matt2112

I've always wanted to visit those designated and protected dark sky zones in the Canaries and do something like that. :)

Matt2112

It's still Saturday in the U.K. so this stil counts: ;)

Today we had a break from an afternoon in the heat with a visit to Paphos's rather good and pleasantly air-conditioned shopping mall, which being fifteen minutes walk away is just about the right distance before the scorchio temperatures and high humidity start to feel a bit...less than desirable.

I made sure we got back in time to watch The Shaymen's first game of the season at home to Barnet at 5pm on my phone, sitting with a nice, cold pint of Keo by the hotel's swimming pool.

My team's pre-season performances were as bad as the luck we've had with injuries we picked up to key players; combine this with Barnet being unbeaten in pre-season and their manager self-declaring they're title-contenders and I had little hope of a favourable result this (late) afternoon.

However, The Shaymen showed terrific team spirit and commitment to the cause to win the game 2-1, which put me in a hugely chipper mood.

I celebrated of sorts by going with the family down to Paphos harbour for an alfresco meal at a nice place on the promenade, followed by a couple of drinks at the best bar in the area, where I told the manager as we were leaving, "This is the best bar here"...in Greek, of course, which he clearly appreciated on more than one level.

A really, really great day all round - this is why you graft, isn't it? :)

dom

Great win for Halifax. And even though I wasn't that far away (Wakefield) Oh couldn't attend as my mum is very unwell (Pinderfields). Was thinking it would have been nice to say hello Matt so its a consolation that you weren't in the country at the time