What's made your day today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: pxr5 on March 25, 2024, 06:06:07 PM^ A wren, maybe. We looked online but nothing seems to fit exactly.
Wrens are certainly tiny, but they're very identifiable but their size and tail. Could be a Dunnock, but they're about the same size as a Sparrow. Could be a Blackcap, but they have a very noticeable black cap - unless they're female when it's brown.

For the past three years we've had a pair of Mallard visit our garden in the Spring. They've appeared again today. We're assuming it's the same pair, as the female has a limp and will eat seeds from Mrs S's hand.

The Picnic Wasp

I feed the foxes in the garden. A vixen has been visiting each night for years. She scratches the back door to let me know she's there. She trusts me totally but spooks the second she hears a car or anyone else arriving. I've hand fed her twice just out of curiosity but have not encouraged the behaviour. One of the neighbours hate me with a passion for feeding them but we live at the edge of extensive woodland so maybe they should just move. I dearly wish they would.

Fishy

The excavations at Vindolanda..
From The Land of Honest Men

captainkurtz

Last night - Johnny Marr gig.  My goodness, he was sensational.

Fishy

White House wants Moon to have its own time zone https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68722032

CLT.. really😀
From The Land of Honest Men

The Picnic Wasp

Actually yesterday, but spent an interesting hour or so having an entertaining WhatsApp conversation with an elderly neighbour. He's a Flightradar24 fanatic and I alerted him to the fact that the Emirates A380 had made a failed attempt to land due to the stormy conditions. The pilot had a second attempt but decided instead to head for Gatwick. We had a bit of a laugh about the fact that my sister isn't allowed to drive into Glasgow due to ULEZ regulations but that that aircraft's slight detour would've burned enough fuel to allow her to drive to the moon. Loose calculation based on the A380's 9 gallons per mile consumption. The entire world would seem to be in denial about climate change.

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on April 07, 2024, 12:28:22 PMActually yesterday, but spent an interesting hour or so having an entertaining WhatsApp conversation with an elderly neighbour. He's a Flightradar24 fanatic and I alerted him to the fact that the Emirates A380 had made a failed attempt to land due to the stormy conditions. The pilot had a second attempt but decided instead to head for Gatwick. We had a bit of a laugh about the fact that my sister isn't allowed to drive into Glasgow due to ULEZ regulations but that that aircraft's slight detour would've burned enough fuel to allow her to drive to the moon. Loose calculation based on the A380's 9 gallons per mile consumption. The entire world would seem to be in denial about climate change.

I'm suspicious of ULEZ myself but it's not really about climate change, it's about the cleanliness of the air in populated areas.

Just for fun I worked it out anyway:

An A380 uses 38 litres of fuel per nautical mile (1.852km)
Assuming a distance between Glasgow and Gatwick of 597km (including a bit of manouvreing) the A30 would have used 12236 litres of fuel.

Average distance Earth - Moon : 384,400km
Typical non-ULEZ car might do 100km on 7 litres
Therefore to travel the Earth-Moon distance would cost 3884 * 7 litres, 27188

Obviously very approximate and based on simplifications and assumptions.

But - I don't know whether air fuel is more climate-detrimental per litre than petrol. I'd guess they're about the same.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

I wish I was relieved by that figure of only 12236 litres.😢

Matt2112

The Cass Report. Especially how it's comprehensively vindicated and upset all the people it should have done.

Slim

I've just read that Janina Minge will be joining Wolfsburg on a free transfer from Freiburg in the summer.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Useful signing, that. Not to be sniffed at.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

A 23:06 5km on the treadmill this evening

Thenop

Fourth in a thirteen team pubquiz yesterday eve. Not bad for a first timer. Had a couple of good answers. Was really there for the music questions but unfortunately it was all about the latest music. Did manage to recognize Karl Lagerfeld in Lego, remember that John McCain lost to Obama in the 2008 US presidential election, Which part of Norway is Kristiansand in (the South)  and which river starts in the Himalaya and flows into the Indian Ocean (Ganges).

The food was horrid though, a veggie burger that was not a burger (rather some fried and seasoned sticks of..what? I will never know), was cold and extremely salty. Got served some toast instead and was drinking sparkly water, in essence glorified prison food.

Matt2112

Quote from: Slim on April 11, 2024, 12:41:57 PMI've just read that Janina Minge will be joining Wolfsburg on a free transfer from Freiburg in the summer.

Should her name be pronounced "Minje" or "Min-gher"? Either way...

The Picnic Wasp

What's happened to this place?😂