What's made your day today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

After setting off walking the dog at 9pm in ridiculously pale skies and almost broad daylight this (last) evening, and having a good hour's walk, we nipped in to my local pub just for two or three cheeky ones, where I happen to be playing a solo acoustic gig this coming Sunday afternoon (widely shared on local social media).

To my astonishment, as I walked in I was applauded by a few present, including the couple who run the place, even though I know they have probably never seen me perform live "in the flesh".

It all felt nice of course, but I just hope the 90-minute set I have prepared is entertaining enough to allow me back in. :)

Matt2112

The aforementioned gig went very well indeed this afternoon. 

To finish set 1 I accompanied the little 'un as she got up to sing The Courteeners' modern classic Indie tune Not Nineteen Forever - she brought the house down and frankly upstaged me entirely. :)

David L

Novak winning his 23rd Grand Slam event making him (arguably) the best tennis player of all-time

Slim

Tropical heat this afternoon, then 20 minutes ago biblical rain - never in my life have I seen heavier rain - and hailstones. A clap of thunder that sounded like a bomb going off on the village green, as well.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

Quote from: Slim on June 12, 2023, 05:46:24 PMTropical heat this afternoon, then 20 minutes ago biblical rain - never in my life have I seen heavier rain - and hailstones. A clap of thunder than sounded like a bomb going off on the village green, as well.
Same here. Absolutely torrential here and it's being going for well over an hour now with no let up. We were to eat out tonight, but luckily stayed in with a pizza.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

pdw1

if only we could have a thunder storm here

Thenop

Quote from: pdw1 on June 12, 2023, 08:50:09 PMif only we could have a thunder storm here
Hear hear.
Although not tomorrow please  since they are replacing the gutter at the roof the house. After that Noah's revenge can come in all its might.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Slim on June 12, 2023, 05:46:24 PMTropical heat this afternoon, then 20 minutes ago biblical rain - never in my life have I seen heavier rain - and hailstones. A clap of thunder that sounded like a bomb going off on the village green, as well.
Got that here yesterday and again today. Both days looked like we'd be OK, then suddenly it clouded over, there was a huge BOOM and giant raindrops followed by hail lashed down. Mrs S and the boy were out barbecuing Pork Chops tonight after I'd told the it would be OK...

Matt2112

Felt Mediterranean this afternoon, then it turned very muggy as clouds formed and it looked like we were going to be battered with heavy rain like many other places.

But we must have caught the very fringes of the storms as we had a moderate shower for only about 15 minutes, and this freshened the air a bit, but not by much.  So, not having much rain followed by a little less humidity was a decent compromise.

The Picnic Wasp

Footage of a Humpback whale leaping out the water in the River Clyde. Hopefully it will enjoy a belly full of what it needs and then head out safely to open waters again. I'm not sure if Humpbacks eat mackerel as this is high season for them off the west of Scotland.

Slim

Went to a pizza place in Ashby and took advantage of their Father's Day Special menu. I had the "Free Peroni for Dad" despite never having fathered a child. Fraud, technically.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Just been out for a quick walk on the village green. I love it when it's daylight at 9:50pm.

Nice view of a crescent Moon and Venus to the west.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

After 6 months of leakage in the house finally had a new rain gutter installed last week. And today the carpenter came to fix the consequential damage. So, I *should* be sorted now. Fingers crossed.

Matt2112

A trip to "Circus Extreme" which has pitched up in town for a couple of weeks - terrific entertainment.

The climactic sight of utterly batsh!t flying motorbike stunts over a "Globe of Death" where three other bikes are simultaneously performing loop-the-loops at insane speed and somehow missing each other is genuinely breathtaking (although the noise was a bit much for the little 'un).

captainkurtz

Quote from: Matt2112 on June 23, 2023, 11:02:21 PMA trip to "Circus Extreme" which has pitched up in town for a couple of weeks - terrific entertainment.

The climactic sight of utterly batsh!t flying motorbike stunts over a "Globe of Death" where three other bikes are simultaneously performing loop-the-loops at insane speed and somehow missing each other is genuinely breathtaking (although the noise was a bit much for the little 'un).
I've seen that - utterly mental.  One of the most incredible things I've seen...the sheer concentration and coordination it must take..