What's made your day today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

Great Sunday bank holiday weekend evening.

Played a solo acoustic gig, had patrons on a table near to where I was performing repeatedly insisting I join then in downing shots (Baby Guinness and some other shot that tasted like strawberry milkshake); another guy who insisted I accepted a tenner he threw at me before leaving after he and his mate took two sips of a pint each of Coors; an extraordinary, mutually respectful conversation with the Asian driver of the taxi home who staunchly advocated for King Charles while I did quite the opposite - who was the "gammon" in that exchange, exactly?! ::) ;)

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Matt2112 on May 01, 2023, 02:17:08 AMGreat Sunday bank holiday weekend evening.

Played a solo acoustic gig, had patrons on a table near to where I was performing repeatedly insisting I join then in downing shots (Baby Guinness and some other shot that tasted like strawberry milkshake); another guy who insisted I accepted a tenner he threw at me before leaving after he and his mate took two sips of a pint each of Coors; an extraordinary, mutually respectful conversation with the Asian driver of the taxi home who staunchly advocated for King Charles while I did quite the opposite - who was the "gammon" in that exchange, exactly?! ::) ;)

Sounds like one of those great days Matt. A bit like Geddy and Alex describing the writing of Far Cry. Did you high-five the driver?

Matt2112

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on May 01, 2023, 02:45:26 AMSounds like one of those great days Matt. A bit like Geddy and Alex describing the writing of Far Cry. Did you high-five the driver?

Ha - not quite; more of a blood brothers-esque hand shake. :)

David L

Just returned from a nice ten mile walk with three friends. Called in at The Old Swan, Minster Lovell for a couple of pints of Windrush ale from the North Cotswold brewery followed by a couple of tinnies at Pete's house in the delightful village of Crawley.
Talked about music for most of the walk!  ;D

Thenop

Today is Liberation Day over here, the end of WWII. I could do a whole piece on how disappointed I am and that we never learn, but I'll put that aside for today.
There's lots of festivities, but in true Dutch fashion we do not get the day off to celebrate... Anyway, I will be celebrating while working  ;)

Matt2112

It's rare I'll think a Guardian editorial has hit the nail pretty much right on the head, but this definitely qualifies:

The coronation of Charles III - a dated pageant that should be rethought

QuoteThe overwhelming truth is that the coronation is taking place for anachronistic religious and constitutional reasons. This weekend's events are centred on a religious service in which Charles vows to uphold the Protestant religion, is anointed with holy oil and swears an oath which, in words that the archbishop of Canterbury will intone in Westminster Abbey on Saturday, commits to making Britain "a holy nation" under "a royal priesthood".

Yet modern Britain is not a holy nation. Nor is it even a largely Protestant one. Britain instead is increasingly secular, even though it remains deeply imprinted, in ways it sometimes does not grasp, by its long Christian history. England and Wales have become minority Christian countries. Yet England, although not Scotland, Wales or either part of Ireland, has an established state church. Whether this can or should continue ought to be a subject of serious public debate. But it never is.

The Picnic Wasp

"A holy nation", "a royal priesthood" from Exodus 19 (looked it up obviously). Phrases used in the Catholic mass and quoted by St Peter, ironically the first Pope whom our monarchy are not the greatest supporters of, and whose successor booted its chiefs of staff out at various points in history. To use words of supposed unity to appoint such a divisional figurehead is beyond laughable hypocrisy. ITN doing their bit last night with some church leader talking about the King of England. Give me strength. Why can't I find that head in hands emoji?

Slim

The phrase "King of England" is simply wrong; there is no Kingdom of England and hasn't been for hundreds of years.

Must say I agree with the quote from the piece there; a rare lucid moment for the Grauniad.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

captainkurtz

Headache seems to be lifting after 2 days.

dom

12 years ago today Rush played at the O2 in Dublin for their only ever Irish gig.

I was there with my 11 year old son and had a fantastic time. I had tickets but won more from a local radio station (Nova). When we went to collect them we were given a tour of the station and got to speak to a couple of the djs.

Excellent gig although I thought the sound was a bit iffy for a while. Daniel loved it.

Nick

On of my most enjoyable Rush gigs, went With my late Rush fan and school friend Martin and his sister,we were in the pit standing, most unusual for a Rush gig. Got prime position in front of Alex and the crowd singing during TSOR was phenomenal.

Matt2112

That was a good day and night in the Motherland!  ;D

I flew over for that, then for the next gig in Glasgow went on a road trip via the ferry out of Belfast.  Glasgow's Solid Rock bar was basically taken over by Rush fans that weekend and it got very messy indeed I seem to kind of remember...  ::) :)

The Picnic Wasp

This gives me a laugh most days when the wind is in the right direction. My sister's dog Alfie is still staying with me until they find a new house. I live on the flight path and 'planes fly directly overhead at 1200'. Alfie loves to chase the Emirates 777 just after his lunch, but doesn't bother about smaller aircraft too much. However, during the busier season as now, they switch to the A380. I try to remember to have a look on Flightradar24 to ensure I open the door in time for Alfie to tear up the garden. He's now taken to standing on his hind legs barking at it when it is directly overhead. Pretty normal plane spotter behaviour.😁

Thenop

4 day break up ahead - Ascension. I am 100% prepared to do absolutely nothing.

captainkurtz

2 for 1 kiss tickets.  More than 50% off, actually, original price was £150 + fees and mine were £55 + fees, working out as £66 each.  That's decent.