What's made your day today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

This article in Spiked by Dr Rebekah Wanic, which eloquently covers the points I made recently in a submission to my employers regarding "DE&I"; it's saved me some typing, probably.

Basspedalman

Filling the bird-feeders in the garden in the company of my ridiculously cute Granddaughter...

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Basspedalman on February 10, 2023, 05:24:32 PMFilling the bird-feeders in the garden in the company of my ridiculously cute Granddaughter...
Don't you know there's a cost of living crisis?
Have you seen the price of Sunflower seeds these days? Bloody Russkies invading Ukraine >:(

Matt2112

Taking the little 'un home after her swimming lesson this afternoon, and driving down the Cote de Shibden Wall (which the mad lads taking part in 2017's Tour de Yorkshire had to cycle in the opposite direction), we witnessed a deer leaping over a fence and onto the road about 50 yards in front of us, before gracefully hurdling the opposite wall into a field. This was immediately followed by a second deer, almost as if we were watching an action replay.

And not to virtue signal or anything, but had I not been driving according to the surroundings, setting a good example to my little backseat companion, then that encounter may have ended very, very differently. 🙂

Slim

Quote from: Matt2112 on February 11, 2023, 04:29:21 PMAnd not to virtue signal or anything, but had I not been driving according to the surroundings, setting a good example to my little backseat companion, then that encounter may have ended very, very differently. 🙂

My brother hit a deer a few years ago. Wrecked the front of his car. Didn't do the deer a lot of good, either.

About a year ago I saw one tentatively pondering coming out of the woods and into the road in front of me a few miles north of me. I was in no danger of hitting it but I beeped and flashed it anyway, just to give it a negative association with wandering close to the road.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Matt2112 on February 11, 2023, 04:29:21 PMTaking the little 'un home after her swimming lesson this afternoon, and driving down the Cote de Shibden Wall (which the mad lads taking part in 2017's Tour de Yorkshire had to cycle in the opposite direction), we witnessed a deer leaping over a fence and onto the road about 50 yards in front of us, before gracefully hurdling the opposite wall into a field. This was immediately followed by a second deer, almost as if we were watching an action replay.

And not to virtue signal or anything, but had I not been driving according to the surroundings, setting a good example to my little backseat companion, then that encounter may have ended very, very differently. 🙂

Always glad to hear happy endings in such circumstances. My sister had the misfortune to hit a deer in her car a while back. It's a really upsetting experience and as James pointed out, it can also be an expensive one. The second deer following, and sometimes further deer after that is also great advice to make any driver aware of. They rarely go about on their own and are usually shadowed by others.

On another occasion when my sister found an injured deer by the side of the road, no vet was willing to come out. She called the police and when the cop finally arrived he refused to take the animal in his van, claiming that it would be off the road afterwards until it could be fumigated. I'd imagine your average deer is a lot cleaner than some of the scumbags he normally piles in. He helped her bundle the poor animal onto the back seat of her car but unfortunately it passed away before she reached the vet school which was a few minutes from the scene. Thinking about it afterwards she was amazed that the cop would put an injured wild animal in the car with her.

Nick

Colleague of mine ploughed into a heard of cows that had escaped from a field due to a gate being open.

Couple of summers ago a huge stag appeared in a Devon lane on my ride. It was magnificent with a full set of antlers, I was slightly worried that it might think my drop handlebars were antlers of some kind. But as I reached for my phone it just sprang over a hedge and was gone. Amazing how they live alongside us.

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Nick on February 12, 2023, 05:12:37 PMColleague of mine ploughed into a heard of cows that had escaped from a field due to a gate being open.

Couple of summers ago a huge stag appeared in a Devon lane on my ride. It was magnificent with a full set of antlers, I was slightly worried that it might think my drop handlebars were antlers of some kind. But as I reached for my phone it just sprang over a hedge and was gone. Amazing how they live alongside us.

This reminded me of something which happened to the credit controller where I used to work. He used to change his cars very regularly and having just acquired a new model, he and his wife decided to take a trip to Argyllshire. Driving along a single track road, a huge stag appeared in front of the car, but in mid-air. It had leapt the hedge alongside the road, landed all four hooves on the bonnet of the car and sprang off, unharmed into the field opposite. Needless to say the car wasn't unharmed.

Slim

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11750753/Britains-longest-serving-female-prisoner-finally-freed-37-years-murdering-rival.html

Janet Newton, the girl who was murdered, was a friend of mine when I was 19. Actually one of my first girlfriend's close friends. My brother used to sit next to her in school.

Apparently her murderer has been in prison for 35 years now; the longest-serving female prisoner in the UK.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Bought some stainless steel 12mm M4 bolts from Amazon last night to replace the bolts in my handlebar extender that had gone rotten and rusty. They plopped through the door an hour ago and I've fitted them - perfect fit.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

First daffodil showing its face this morning...
From The Land of Honest Men

Nickslikk2112

Completed on the sale of my Dad's house today. My retirement is now funded :) Shame about the circumstances that led to it.

We accepted £10k under the asking price, which seeing as Trussonomics had happened during the sales process we were happy with. The Estate agent had wanted to put it on at £25k less than what we did, so I'd say it was a result.

We did have a situation though where the buyers were parked on the road with two removal wagons as we hadn't had confirmation from our solicitor to say things had been completed. Thankfully there was just a five minute stand off :)

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on February 17, 2023, 07:23:24 PMCompleted on the sale of my Dad's house today. My retirement is now funded :) Shame about the circumstances that led to it.

We accepted £10k under the asking price, which seeing as Trussonomics had happened during the sales process we were happy with. The Estate agent had wanted to put it on at £25k less than what we did, so I'd say it was a result.

We did have a situation though where the buyers were parked on the road with two removal wagons as we hadn't had confirmation from our solicitor to say things had been completed. Thankfully there was just a five minute stand off :)

I've heard this so often about solicitors recently that I've come to the belief that it's some kind of muscle flexing rather than just inefficiency.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on February 17, 2023, 09:27:20 PMI've heard this so often about solicitors recently that I've come to the belief that it's some kind of muscle flexing rather than just inefficiency.
I was convinced it was conveyancing inefficiency, we'd agreed exchange of contracts on Tuesday, but late Thursday afternoon I got a phone call about agreeing exchange again. However talking to our buyers on Friday it seems it may have been their buyer's fault as they hadn't had their mortgage agreement witnessed, so things probably all had to be run through again at the last minute.