What's made your day today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy

16.02 sunset time today  .. always good to get past 4pm so that's now a full 15 mins later than shortest day... roll on the spring👍
From The Land of Honest Men

David L

Quote from: Fishy on January 04, 2023, 02:09:36 PM16.02 sunset time today  .. always good to get past 4pm so that's now a full 15 mins later than shortest day... roll on the spring👍
It's got very dark in the morning though! ;)

dom

Quote from: David L on January 04, 2023, 02:36:42 PM
Quote from: Fishy on January 04, 2023, 02:09:36 PM16.02 sunset time today  .. always good to get past 4pm so that's now a full 15 mins later than shortest day... roll on the spring👍
It's got very dark in the morning though! ;)

Was just thinking that - was walking the dog this morning just before 8.  Was VERY dark.  I do hate this time of year, Jan & Feb, dark and cold. Roll on March!

Nickslikk2112

Sunrise gets earlier from Friday.

Slim

Here in the E Mids sunset time is 4:04:51 today .. 14 minutes and 32 seconds later than the nadir on 13th Dec.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on January 04, 2023, 02:46:14 PMSunrise gets earlier from Friday.
a minute earlier for us from tomorrow 8.46 am today .. 8.45 tomorrow...

Fishy

16.08 sunset today and by Friday it's 16.16 👍

David L

Matt2112

The delicious irony arising from deranged gender identity politics obsessives not being careful what they wished for; good, short article in Unherd from Joan Smith: The Brits go gender neutral and women disappear

David L

Slim

Quote from: Matt2112 on January 13, 2023, 12:37:07 PMThe delicious irony arising from deranged gender identity politics obsessives not being careful what they wished for; good, short article in Unherd from Joan Smith: The Brits go gender neutral and women disappear

I don't really mind there being a "gender neutral" category for these and similar awards. It just means that the gender associated with the category is ignored, which if anything is a welcome break from the obsession with gender politics that's taken hold of fashionable discourse recently.

Even if it's been done as a sop to the folks who don't think they belong to a particular gender. Still a good thing.

I mean why would (say) a jazz record by a male artist compete in the same category as an Indie record by a male artist, but not in the same category as a female artist jazz record? Makes little sense.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Quote from: Slim on December 28, 2022, 05:54:50 PMFound a source for sunset times to the second for a location 300 metres from here, and I've managed to get them into a text file and convert them into a spreadsheetable form so I could draw a graph. The Y axis is seconds after noon GMT when sunset takes place. The leftmost datapoint is for 13th December 2022 when the sun set at 3:50pm and 19 seconds. The rightmost datapoint is for 25th June 2023 when the sun sets at 8:34pm and 9 seconds. Those are of course the earliest and latest sunsets, respectively.

All times in GMT.

We're getting into the linear part of the curve now, with sunset times roughly 90 seconds later each day. Here in the E Mids, today's sunset will occur 27 mins 14 seconds later than it did on December 13th.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Quote from: Slim on January 13, 2023, 01:20:41 PM
Quote from: Matt2112 on January 13, 2023, 12:37:07 PMThe delicious irony arising from deranged gender identity politics obsessives not being careful what they wished for; good, short article in Unherd from Joan Smith: The Brits go gender neutral and women disappear

I don't really mind there being a "gender neutral" category for these and similar awards. It just means that the gender associated with the category is ignored, which if anything is a welcome break from the obsession with gender politics that's taken hold of fashionable discourse recently.

Even if it's been done as a sop to the folks who don't think they belong to a particular gender. Still a good thing.

I mean why would (say) a jazz record by a male artist compete in the same category as an Indie record by a male artist, but not in the same category as a female artist jazz record? Makes little sense.

Yes, no objections to that here as it doesn't affect equality of opportunity; however, the identitarians aren't interested in that, they want equality of outcomes (i.e. nominations of females), thinking a neutral category would guarantee that, and because it actually doesn't it's bitten them on the bum.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Matt2112 on January 13, 2023, 02:18:04 PMYes, no objections to that here as it doesn't affect equality of opportunity; however, the identitarians aren't interested in that, they want equality of outcomes (i.e. nominations of females), thinking a neutral category would guarantee that, and because it actually doesn't it's bitten them on the bum.
As ever, careful what you wish for.

Nickslikk2112

Clearing stuff up at my dad's today and finding lots of photographs of people I never knew had photographs of them in existence, including a set of GtGt Grandparents who were born in 1825 and 1827. Unfortunately they are only a small portion of the photo, but at least it exists.

I also found my dad's school reports, he never mentioned them when he was thrashing me with his slipper for all my "Must try harder" reports. Like father like son...