What's made your day today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dom

The French are far from blameless David but I worry about you 😉

pdw1

Quote from: David L on June 06, 2022, 07:29:35 AM78th anniversary of the D-Day landings. Another chance to remind the French they had to be saved from tyranny by the bravery of young men from other nations
Thanks for reminding us of the 20 million dead of the Soviet Union which won the war.

David L

Quote from: pdw1 on June 06, 2022, 06:04:55 PM
Quote from: David L on June 06, 2022, 07:29:35 AM78th anniversary of the D-Day landings. Another chance to remind the French they had to be saved from tyranny by the bravery of young men from other nations
Thanks for reminding us of the 20 million dead of the Soviet Union which won the war.
Yes, unfortunate for them too that the French caved-in so easily, allowing Hitler to turn his attention to the east. Stalin was apparently furious with them by all accounts. He thought, like many, France had the greatest army in the world in 1940. They had no appetite for it (after their huge losses in WW1)

pdw1

Quote from: David L on June 06, 2022, 08:08:49 PM
Yes, unfortunate for them too that the French caved-in so easily, allowing Hitler to turn his attention to the east. Stalin was apparently furious with them by all accounts. He thought, like many, France had the greatest army in the world in 1940. They had no appetite for it (after their huge losses in WW1)
great spin there

David L

Quote from: pdw1 on June 06, 2022, 08:55:35 PM
Quote from: David L on June 06, 2022, 08:08:49 PM
great spin there
;D

Slim

Responding to this a bit late, but the French had a powerful, well-organised and aggressively well-motivated war machine on their border. The British Expeditionary Force was also defeated in France. And thousands of French patriots fought on - in the Free French forces with the RAF, with the Royal Navy and alongside the British Army, as well as in La Résistance.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nick

Had it not been for English Channel the Germans may well have rolled into England as well, sometimes Geography can be a major decider. Tim Marshall's books The Power of geography and Prisoners of geography are excellent at explaining this.

Also the French lost 600k people and the U.K. 450k people during WW2.

pdw1

yesterday but
scream for me donington

David L

Quote from: Slim on June 12, 2022, 08:00:50 PMAnd thousands of French patriots fought on - in the Free French forces with the RAF, with the Royal Navy and alongside the British Army, as well as in La Résistance.
Yes I rember learning about that from 'Allo 'Allo!

Rufus_the_dawg

The French had better thank the USA then!

David L

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on June 13, 2022, 09:41:11 AM

The French had better thank the USA then!
Goes without......

pdw1

Quote from: David L on June 13, 2022, 08:21:30 AM
Quote from: Slim on June 12, 2022, 08:00:50 PMAnd thousands of French patriots fought on - in the Free French forces with the RAF, with the Royal Navy and alongside the British Army, as well as in La Résistance.
No wonder you have such a distorted world view

David L

Quote from: pdw1 on June 13, 2022, 05:56:23 PM
Quote from: David L on June 13, 2022, 08:21:30 AM
No wonder you have such a distorted world view
;D  ;D 
Vicky Michelle though! Great show.  It was probably working with the French that caused the 'distortion' (?)

Slim

Went to take the bin out at 10:05pm and it's still just about daylight out there.

I love to go outside late at night in June. One disadvantage I imposed on myself by migrating 130-odd miles to the south from Hartlepool is that sunsets are 12 minutes earlier here at this time of year.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan