Do you wear a watch regularly?

Started by Slim, April 11, 2024, 01:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

.. if so, is it usually a quartz analogue? A quartz digital? Handwound? Automatic? A smartwatch? Or do you just prefer to use a phone? Or something else? Or do you typically just use a clock occasionally?
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

Not had a watch for years... usually check my phone or ask Alexa...
From The Land of Honest Men

Nickslikk2112

No. I always used to wear one, but these days there's plenty of ways of finding out the time, most of my watches were battery ones and I could never be arsed to replace the battery when they ran out.

I wear a watch when I "go out" as I feel it completes a Gentleman's attire. I've got an automatic watch I inherited from my dad, he bought it about three months before he died so it's in decent condition and he had had the chance to wear it.

The Picnic Wasp

I was out of the habit of wearing a watch for many years and on the rare occasions I forgot my phone I would keep tabs on the time of day with bus tickets, supermarket receipts etc. I began wearing watches again and now don't know how I survived by my desperate means. I have a couple of Pulsars. Good looking devices for not much money. One fairly plain with a black leather strap for everyday wear, and the other a fairly chunky chronograph type in stainless steel. Yesterday I found a 1970s red faced Rotary LED with a gold coloured bracelet. I remember it being a gift I'd pleaded for but bizarrely I never had the strap adjusted to fit and it was never used. I honestly can't even remember if I ever managed to set it up properly for use and so it just remained tucked away in a drawer. I think they sell quite well to collectors of such things but I don't have the inclination even though I don't have any real sentimental attachment to it. I have two friends who are always buzzing about their latest purchase, Rolex or whatever, but I don't even look at watches that others are wearing so I obviously don't get it. Except for one boss a few years ago who had this massive Breitling saucer-sized thing on his wrist which he won in a sailing race. It was rather impressive but if he falls overboard whilst wearing it I reckon he'll drown.

dom

been wearing a smartwatch since 2016 tracking steps, sleep and cycling.  Almost a part of me now I think, be lost without one

Matt2112

Once wore a Fitbit for a while but the strap broke and I couldn't be arsed replacing it.  Never missed it since.

That's it really. :-\

pxr5

Not anymore, since I've retired I've never felt the need. I treated myself to a Tag Heuer Aquaracer analogue when I left the RAF in 2008 and wore that until 2019 when I finished. A battery replacement required the watch to be sent off to Tag to service and replace. That was £150 every 5 years or so. I couldn't be arsed doing that anymore either so it's sat in a draw ever since. I've never wanted a smart watch - a phone is enough for me.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Thenop

Slim

Quote from: Thenop on April 11, 2024, 09:07:11 PMEveryday, an automatic Hamilton Khaki Aviation Pilot Day Date.
https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/nl-nl/h64615135-khaki-aviation-pilot-day-date-auto.html

Nice, I wear a Hamilton sometimes myself, a handwound field watch with a handy 50 hrs power reserve.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

My everyday watch  ;D

Omega Seamaster. My engagement gift from the wife. Bought from a shop in Place Vendome in Paris ❤️

Pre-owned Tag F1

Pre-owned Tag...?

I would rather buy pre-owned if I was looking to add to these. I like the idea that they've already put in a shift for someone else, they have a history so to speak.
A number of years ago I found a really nice mid-seventies gold Rolex Day Date Presidential in a shop in Lymington. It was, I think, around £8K but I couldn't justify the outlay. The watch looked great on my wrist and I like the idea of that model from that time period. That would have been worth close to twice that now (I know as I still look from time to time).
I've never had the Omega serviced and I'm a bit scared how much it will cost. It's auto, as is the white-faced Tag. The F1 has stopped, probably needs a new battery. The wife offered to buy me an auto-winder for the Omega, should have got one when we bought it (2005). It rarely gets an outing nowadays. Expensive watches seem to be a bit of a financial liability, if you really want to look after them. I'm guessing it would cost at least £300 for a service.
All my watches are small to suit my small 'girly' wrist/hands  ;D

Slim

Quote from: David L on April 12, 2024, 12:45:12 AMOmega Seamaster. My engagement gift from the wife. Bought from a shop in Place Vendome in Paris ❤️

Very nice, I have a closely related model, commonly known as the '007' Seamaster because it featured in Goldeneye.

This particular model is the midsize (36mm) quartz. Very handy for travelling because the hour hand is independently adjustable while the minute and second hands are running.

Unlike Bond's model, it doesn't have a laser or remote detonator built in.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

R6GYY

I like to wear a watch. This is my current one which apart from the actual mechanism failing, or getting scratched beyond economical repair - should last me a very long time.

Radio controlled, and solar powered. The only thing that annoys me is that I have to manually switch to BST and back again. I am sure there is a way that this could be automated but I can't find it.

https://amzn.eu/d/aZ6njaa

Slim

Love that Reg, it has a bit of a Breitling Aerospace vibe. And actually the main reason I sold that watch was that my Casios had sucked the fun out of it. They did everything the Aerospace did, they did it better and they did more.

I have a few radio-controlled solar Casios, I've had some of them for more than ten years and they just keep going. So much better than having to have a battery changed every couple of years.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

captainkurtz

I alternate between an Oris and my Dad's old Rolex Air King (from 1975).

I bought myself a GMT Master II for my 30th Birthday - it was either that or see Rush in Toronto who were playing the same night.  I never wear it and it sits in a box.  Although its appreciated in value significantly, I do think I should have gone to see Rush - albeit, I did make a trip to TO a decade later to see them there.