This is Ukraine - Do not Panic.

Started by Rufus_the_dawg, February 24, 2022, 05:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

Nice of the Russians to give a Goodwill Gesture and withdraw from Snake Island. Top blokes :)

I'd like to see Bernie Ecclestone taking one for Putin too, he's only a small chap so the bullet should go through and get Putler as well.

David L

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 01, 2022, 12:53:42 PMNice of the Russians to give a Goodwill Gesture and withdraw from Snake Island. Top blokes :)

I'd like to see Bernie Ecclestone taking one for Putin too, he's only a small chap so the bullet should go through and get Putler as well.
Especially if he's shot through the head - seems like there would be very little in there to reduce its velocity

dom

Just say the bullet did do for both of them would it make much of a difference?  It seems to me that a lot of the Russian population support Putin and his war on Ukraine.  Would his replacement not just keep the war going?

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: dom on July 01, 2022, 01:14:08 PMIt seems to me that a lot of the Russian population support Putin and his war on Ukraine.
Because if they didn't they'd be taking a bullet for him  :)  :(

dom

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 02, 2022, 09:23:48 PM
Quote from: dom on July 01, 2022, 01:14:08 PMIt seems to me that a lot of the Russian population support Putin and his war on Ukraine.
Because if they didn't they'd be taking a bullet for him  :)  :(

I hope that's the reason why. In Ireland we have seen the small Russian community here showing its support for the war in Ukraine with demonstrations and graffiti. I know this is anecdotal but I know this Russian guy born in Latvia who completely supports the war.

Slim

It's a bit like remainers and the EU I think, they just believe everything they're told because they're emotionally invested in it.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Ukraine has been criticised by Amnesty International for appearing to have put 'non-combatants' in harm's way 19 times by setting up bases in residential areas.
Amnesty claimed Ukraine's use of military bases in schools and hospitals violated "the laws of war". But it said the tactics "in no way justify Russia's indiscriminate attacks".

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/press-releases/ukraine-military-endangering-civilians-locating-forces-residential-areas-new

I'm sure this will be reported on the BBC news later ;)

Slim

So: later today the Russians will claim large chunks of Ukraine as their own territory. There must be a concern that the stakes have been raised somewhat here - indeed I think that's the main reason Putin has done this.

The rules of engagement will be different for Russian forces defending what is now Mother Russia. And whereas the NATO allies have been careful not to provide Ukraine with weapons to attack Russian territory, that's exactly what they'll be doing now, from the Russians' point of view.

Can't say I'll be surprised if a tactical nuclear weapon goes off some time in the next few weeks.

At the same time - there must be a lot of pressure on Putin now to wind his aggression back in. The sanctions must have hurt, his military has been humiliated and badly degraded and conscripting huge swathes of the civilian populace into the army must surely have diminished the tolerance of the general Russian public.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Roger Waters to be appointed peace envoy?

https://www.euronews.com/culture/2022/09/29/pink-floyds-roger-waters-declared-persona-non-grata-in-poland

;)

Probably no worse than Tony Bliar in that role, to be fair  ;D

The Picnic Wasp

I agree with James on this. The World is now in such a state of biblical madness, that for the first time in my adult life I believe that a battlefield nuclear weapon will be deployed at some stage. I think Putin would be ecstatic at The West's inability to respond and it is probably inevitable that an expanding Soviet Republic will result. Perhaps it is the only way that some form of stability might eventually return.

Nickslikk2112

It's about time Putin fell through a conveniently open high window.

Has Putler announced the exact borders of these annexed regions? Being as large swathes of Donetsk and Zaporizhzhia are still in Ukrainian hands.

David L

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on September 30, 2022, 01:08:07 PMI agree with James on this. The World is now in such a state of biblical madness, that for the first time in my adult life I believe that a battlefield nuclear weapon will be deployed at some stage. I think Putin would be ecstatic at The West's inability to respond and it is probably inevitable that an expanding Soviet Republic will result. Perhaps it is the only way that some form of stability might eventually return.
What??? You mean we would have wasted all that money?

Matt2112

Putin is spuriously claiming a few backwaters of south-eastern Ukraine after reckoning on he would take the whole country within two weeks - about nine months ago.

Even his own side isn't on his side.

And all the whataboutery about the hypocrisy of the "West" isn't convincing anybody either.

He's a desperate individual, whose objectives are clearly failing.

And that's exactly what is most worrying.

Nick

The mobilisation of males is going to have a major economic impact as well, who is going to run those factories. Also reports of a type of genocide by sending youth from the more troublesome "stans" to the front lines first.

Slim

Reports that a Russian missile has hit Poland, a NATO country of course.

I hope it turns out to be bogus.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan