My Effin' Life Geddy Lee bio

Started by Thenop, April 07, 2023, 01:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David L

Double-page exclusive today in the Daily Express  (what a great paper!  :) )

(**discussion of some content**)

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/theatre/1843449/geddy-lee-my-effin-life-tale-personal-evolution

David L

Had a fantastic bit of luck today! The wife of one of my best mates works in the Oxfam bookshop in Witney and spotted Geddy's book had been brought in yesterday. She must have read the jacket and recognised the band name. She told Pete and as he's not a big fan, his immediate thought was me. He texted me last night (although I didn't see it until this morning) to say Susan has seen the book and it was on sale for £12.99. I told him I'd have it if it was still available so his lovely wife rang the shop to get it put by for me (she doesn't work on a Thursday).
I rushed(!) back from work to pick it up before they closed at 4:30pm. It looks unread and appears to be a US copy. I've no idea how it came to be donated to the shop, I can only speculate. Was it a second copy, gifted in error? Was a pious recipient offended by the title? Was it left in an overhead locker after a return transatlantic flight? Who knows? I'm happy  ;D

Slim

Geddy appeared on Adrian Chiles' show on 5 Live today; a nice surprise while I was out on a bike. I'm not overly found of Adrian's interview style usually; he has a sort of exasperated sycophancy thing going on that I find a little irritating. But he'd clearly read at least the first half of the book and fair play, he was genuinely enthusiastic and interested here. This was a really good interview.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001t86k

[EDIT: dead link now, so see #65 below if interested, where the interview is captured for posterity]

Starts at 1:36 in.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Quote from: David L on December 14, 2023, 07:52:17 PMHad a fantastic bit of luck today! The wife of one of my best mates works in the Oxfam bookshop in Witney and spotted Geddy's book had been brought in yesterday. She must have read the jacket and recognised the band name. She told Pete and as he's not a big fan, his immediate thought was me. He texted me last night (although I didn't see it until this morning) to say Susan has seen the book and it was on sale for £12.99. I told him I'd have it if it was still available so his lovely wife rang the shop to get it put by for me (she doesn't work on a Thursday).
I rushed(!) back from work to pick it up before they closed at 4:30pm. It looks unread and appears to be a US copy. I've no idea how it came to be donated to the shop, I can only speculate. Was it a second copy, gifted in error? Was a pious recipient offended by the title? Was it left in an overhead locker after a return transatlantic flight? Who knows? I'm happy  ;D

Are they handing out the book to all attendees at the UK shows too? If so it could have been donated as a copy had already been purchased. Good bit of luck anyway!

David L

Quote from: Slim on December 14, 2023, 08:15:56 PMGeddy appeared on Adrian Chiles' show on 5 Live today; a nice surprise while I was out on a bike. I'm not overly found of Adrian's interview style usually; he has a sort of exasperated sycophancy thing going on that I find a little irritating. But he'd clearly read at least the first half of the book and fair play, he was genuinely enthusiastic and interested here. This was a really good interview.

That was great. Geddy has the most wonderfully relaxed style of speaking, he's become the member of the band that I most enjoy listening to. So talented but still so humble. I could listen to him all day (perhaps I should've gone for the audio book!)

Slim

Quote from: Slim on December 14, 2023, 08:15:56 PMGeddy appeared on Adrian Chiles' show on 5 Live today; a nice surprise while I was out on a bike. I'm not overly found of Adrian's interview style usually; he has a sort of exasperated sycophancy thing going on that I find a little irritating. But he'd clearly read at least the first half of the book and fair play, he was genuinely enthusiastic and interested here. This was a really good interview.

Since the BBC Sounds page will expire in a month, I've preserved the interview for posterity here:

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Finally got round to starting it!

Made it through the Prologue.

Fishy

I got it at Christmas.. still to make a start on it..
From The Land of Honest Men

The Picnic Wasp

Also got it for Christmas. Deliberately reading it slowly to make it last. About halfway through. Enjoying it, good read so far.

pxr5

I got it too for Xmas. Not started yet as I'm still ploughing through a GoT book - Fire and Blood, which is basically a history of the Targaryen's Westeros rule from Aegon I onward.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."