My Effin' Life Geddy Lee bio

Started by Thenop, April 07, 2023, 01:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

My copy arrived today but won't be opened until Dec 25th.

The Picnic Wasp

I think I might be being pathetically petty here. I haven't ordered it yet, which I find sadly incomprehensible considering my years of devotion. I think it's due to the growing list of recent news. The book tour ticket prices, the TV documentary series, the baseball memorabilia sale, the Rush themed beer bar at Toronto airport, mustard etc. It's all becoming a bit lame, so my sad reaction is to hopefully pick the book up cheaper in a wee while. A small protest against this Kiss-esque behaviour. Reading it at Christmas seems a good idea though. Bah humbug!😁

R6GYY

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: R6GYY on November 11, 2023, 07:01:21 PMWhat TV documentary series?

Are Bass Players Human Too? On Paramount Plus I believe which means I won't get to see it for a while. The trailer looks quite good, if a bit corny. Four parter where he visits, Krist Novoselic, Rob Trujillo, Les Claypool and Melissa Auf der Maur. Starts on December 5th. I don't know if that's a UK airing date.

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

From The Land of Honest Men

The Picnic Wasp

Watched the start yesterday morning. Looks good. Saving it for later.

David L

Slim

Well I've just bought the Kindle edition + Audible narration (the audiobook version, in other words). Will have a listen to the first half hour or so later, probably. Just downloaded it onto a phone, there's 230MB of it.

Actually I've just listened to the first minute: "read by Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Cliff Burnstein".
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Slim on November 15, 2023, 01:59:05 PMWell I've just bought the Kindle edition + Audible narration (the audiobook version, in other words). Will have a listen to the first half hour or so later, probably. Just downloaded it onto a phone, there's 230MB of it.

Actually I've just listened to the first minute: "read by Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Cliff Burnstein".

Have you listened to the two previously unreleased tracks included in the audiobook yet? I'm looking forward to hearing them.

Matt2112

Very good interview ^^^^^^

Ordered the book yesterday, should arrive on Friday at the latest.

Slim

Well I listened to the first three hours or so - what a joy this book is. Geddy has a lovely warm, storyteller's delivery, sometimes with an engaging laughter in his voice - it's like being a kid again and watching Jackanory. He's really written about his early years in a way that brings them to life.

Geddy suggests that you may wish to skip the chapters in which he describes his familly's experience of the Holocaust, but I suggest you don't - they might make you emotional or angry, but there's nothing horrific in a graphic sense. And in the end it's quite a life-affirming story for Mr and Mrs Weinrib.

Currently I'm up to 1969 and the time Geddy gets fired from Rush for not being hip enough.

I strongly recommend the audiobook version, Geddy's own narration really makes it special.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on November 15, 2023, 07:14:50 PMHave you listened to the two previously unreleased tracks included in the audiobook yet? I'm looking forward to hearing them.

Not yet, didn't know about that actually.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Slim on November 13, 2023, 10:56:42 PM

Enjoyed this until the question about seeing a fan in a Rush t-shirt. Quite disappointed with the response, however understandable.

pxr5

Quote from: R6GYY on November 11, 2023, 03:11:59 PMMy copy arrived today but won't be opened until Dec 25th.
Mine has come too, and wrapped already lol.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."