My Effin' Life Geddy Lee bio

Started by Thenop, April 07, 2023, 01:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

I like the way he describes himself as a "human neural net". Not to be pedantic or anything but that's literally true for everyone.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Sounds great - wonder whether the error above is actually in the book?

Thenop

A motherfucker that bears a grudge and overdid on coke in the 80s. Sounds like any other rock bio to be honest.
The Holocaust part is what has set the tone of his life. Makes sense. Wonder whether he ever spoke with Simmons about that, whose mother is also a Holocaust survivor?

The Picnic Wasp

Of course I will read this, but a part of me thinks maybe I shouldn't.

Slim

Can't find a reference online to explain Geddy's animosity toward Billy Preston. Will be interested to find out about that one.

Relieved to see that "Slim from TNMS" isn't on the grudge list.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

I didn't know he'd fallen out with Gene Simmons. I've seen Gene fairly recently talking in quite fond terms about Rush, didn't seem to be any animosity from his side

captainkurtz

Surprised too to read of a fallout with Gene, who only ever seems to have good words for the band...there was that photo of them as well when their paths crossed on tour in Europe a decade or so ago...seemed all very friendly...

Slim

It's possible I suppose that Geddy's comments in the book about Gene are a bit more tongue-in-cheek than the reviewer has inferred .. will be interesting to see.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Probably just about lack of sound checks back in the day and not a biggie any longer.

David L

Ah, I read something recently, I think on facebook, where Gene recounted showing Geddy something on bass and he stated (I'm parahrasing here)
"the guy didn't even know a basic blues scale"

That might be it

The Picnic Wasp

Oh yes, I remember a story like that now. Geddy said Gene was prattling on about a certain way to play something on bass and Geddy replied that he didn't know what the notes were called, he just played them. Worked out quite well that method.

captainkurtz

Seems a weird thing to bear a grudge about 50 years later...

David L

Quote from: captainkurtz on October 06, 2023, 05:16:48 PMSeems a weird thing to bear a grudge about 50 years later...
Yes,it would be. I fully understand the Steve Lillywhite one though

dom

I have one for Chrissie Hynde on Geddy's behalf

Thenop