Main Menu

RIP Tony Clarkin

Started by Nickslikk2112, January 09, 2024, 05:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

The Man in the Hat from Magnum has died after a short illness:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/magnum-guitarist-tony-clarkin-has-died-aged-77

Must admit I drifted away from Magnum years ago, but had a very intense relationship with them whilst it lasted - thanks to Mrs S making me take her to see them.

Slim

Sorry to hear that. I remember that guy from interviews and articles in Sounds magazine way back when. One of their tunes used to get the odd play on Metro Radio - Kingdom of Madness I think it was called.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Bought On A Storyteller's Night for half price I think, purely based on the cover. Great album, especially How Far Jerusalem.

(as an aside, wasn't his name Tony?)

captainkurtz

Quote from: Slim on January 09, 2024, 05:50:29 PMSorry to hear that. I remember that guy from interviews and articles in Sounds magazine way back when. One of their tunes used to get the odd play on Metro Radio - Kingdom of Madness I think it was called.
Alan Robson really championed them in the mid-late 80's on his hot and heavy express Saturday night rock show...on a storytellers night really takes me back to Saturday night in the living room with headphones on taping stuff from his show whilst my Dad watched the news or whatever.  Happy, innocent times. 

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Thenop on January 09, 2024, 06:20:22 PMBought On A Storyteller's Night for half price I think, purely based on the cover. Great album, especially How Far Jerusalem.

It is now...

pxr5

Not a fan really, but I do remember buying Magnum Live, which was a double 7 inch single from a market in Wigan in 1980. I loved all 4 tracks on that and subsequently bought Magnum II. That was it for me really. A g/f later tried to push On A Storyteller's Night on to me, but by then I was listening to more alt stuff. The guitar playing on Invasion was awesome though. RIP
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nick

Sad to hear, never saw them live but played the life out of Storytellers.

David L

Quote from: Thenop on January 09, 2024, 06:20:22 PMBought On A Storyteller's Night for half price I think, purely based on the cover. Great album, especially How Far Jerusalem.

Tony 'The Hat' Clarkin (although in later years he was Tony 'The Egg' Clarkin  ;D )

David L

I saw them only once, I think. They were a support at one of my very early gigs but I can't remember who they were supporting! (I'll do some Googling).
I do know they were promoting the Marauder LP though. I think The Hat used to play a semi-hollow 'something or other' around that time (not cool  ;D ). Didn't do a lot for me tbh but I know a lot of people loved On A Storyteller's Night. I remember Bob Catley had a decent set of pipes too

David L

Quote from: David L on January 09, 2024, 07:46:02 PMI saw them only once, I think. They were a support at one of my very early gigs but I can't remember who they were supporting! (I'll do some Googling).
April 26th 1980 at The New Theatre, Oxford supporting Def Leppard (On Through The Night Tour)

Matt2112

Sad news.

I have the picture disc of Wings Of Heaven up in the attic somewhere.

Magnum never got the amount of mainstream radio play they deserved.