Main Menu

Rugby

Started by dom, March 11, 2023, 07:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dom

No rugby thread?

Have to change that!

What a remarkable game, I thought it was going to be a lot closer. France hadn't won in Twickenham since 2005 and they haven't really hit the highs of last season, so to win by 43 points is quite exceptional. Hopefully the French team can give Wales a similar trouncing in Paris next week.

Tomorrow could be the game of the tournament with an exciting Scottish team at home against the current best side in the World. Think its going to clash with the Arsenal game though so won't see all of it

pxr5

France were very good, but England were so, so poor. Wales avoided the banana skin of Italy and I really don't think Scotland have a chance against Ireland who are deservedly number 1 in the world.

Of course this could all change at the WC where I think England may shine.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nickslikk2112

Maybe Eddie Jones wasn't that bad?

Mind, this isn't real Rugby...

pxr5

Congrats to Ireland, but well done England for showing some spirt today. A shame that the ridiculous red card ruined the game for any chance of England winning. TBH red cards like this are spoiling RU for me. I know players need protecting but what is a player supposed to do in a situation like this today?

pdw1

Quote from: pxr5 on March 18, 2023, 10:15:03 PMCongrats to Ireland, but well done England for showing some spirt today. A shame that the ridiculous red card ruined the game for any chance of England winning. TBH red cards like this are spoiling RU for me. I know players need protecting but what is a player supposed to do in a situation like this today?
tackle not shoulder charge.

dom

A good comeback by England who were playing for pride and World Cup places after that devastating loss to France last week. Ireland are on a different level to everyone else at the moment. The key question is can they maintain this level through to the World Cup.

Wales played some of their best rugby of the tournament yesterday and although the result was never really in question it is a little concerning for France that Wales managed to score 4 tries.

pxr5

Quote from: pdw1 on March 19, 2023, 12:22:46 AM
Quote from: pxr5 on March 18, 2023, 10:15:03 PMCongrats to Ireland, but well done England for showing some spirt today. A shame that the ridiculous red card ruined the game for any chance of England winning. TBH red cards like this are spoiling RU for me. I know players need protecting but what is a player supposed to do in a situation like this today?
Keenan had just collected a loose ball from an awkward forward pass, how was Steward supposed to avoid contact. If you watch closely he started to make the move to kick the ball then tried to avoid the collision when he couldn't tackle. It was just an accident.

pxr5

Quote from: pxr5 on March 19, 2023, 07:15:58 PM
Quote from: pdw1 on March 19, 2023, 12:22:46 AM
Keenan had just collected a loose ball from an awkward forward pass, how was Steward supposed to avoid contact. If you watch closely he started to make the move to kick the ball then tried to avoid the collision when he couldn't tackle. It was just an accident.

And the sensible, and correct, decision to rescind Steward's red card has been made:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65035837

pxr5

Holy sh!t, how crap are England just now. I've never felt so negative about them before. We have no chance in the WC. However, maybe we are doing it to lull the rest of the teams - then again, probably not - we're just pants.  ::)

Nickslikk2112

It's only Rugger. The only sport that counts is Soccerball - especially wimmin's if you're the BBC

pxr5

England beating Ireland today - who'd have thought. And Italy beating Scotland too. The England/Ireland game could have gone either way but Italy totally earned their win over Scotland. Wooden spoon for Wales this year.

pdw1

With hindsight, England made the wrong decision when they went for the drop goal. The game was won the second the ref gave the penalty. They should have gone for the try and the bonus point. If they had failed they would have come back for the penalty and the win.

dom

Fascinating game in Cardiff yesterday certainly from a French perspective.

At times both the French defensive and attacking systems completely misfired, gifting the Welsh 3 tries and missing so many opportunities when attacking - so many forward passes.

At the same time the depth in talent available to Galthie is unbelievable. So many injured and unavailable players and still the strength of the pack and the agility and speed of the backs on show yesterday was a joy to behold.

The coaches have less than a week to prepare this team for a resurgent England. Hopefully Edwards in particular can get the defence back in shape!

pxr5

Quote from: pdw1 on March 10, 2024, 01:28:53 PMWith hindsight, England made the wrong decision when they went for the drop goal. The game was won the second the ref gave the penalty. They should have gone for the try and the bonus point. If they had failed they would have come back for the penalty and the win.
I agree - in hindsight. At the time though I was screaming at the TV for a drop goal.

pxr5

So Wales do get the wooden spoon and a flattering score against a dominant Italy. It seems Gatland has had his offer of resignation turned down too - he has a massive task to turn Wales around from this. Italy on the rise at last with 2 wins and a draw.

Scotland played reasonably well against Ireland and defended magnificently; but just not enough in attack to beat Ireland who totally deserved their win and the Championship.

As I type this it's half time in the England-France (10-16) game as England pulled back a try on the stroke of half time (against the run of play). The way France are playing though I can see them winning easily.