Sir Bobby Charlton Has Died

Started by Slim, October 21, 2023, 04:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Really one of the defining figures of the entire sport of football for me. The thing I always remember is that when we went to Spain on holiday when I was a kid, quite often the Germans and Italians you'd meet would mention Bobby Charlton or Bobby Moore within a couple of minutes, in an effort to make small talk when they found out you were English.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

David L

I was a massive Man U fan as a kid. What a contrast between Bobby and Bestie. He seemed ancient then and quite possibly one of the 'uncoolest' players in that great side. Of course it was the barnet. How iconic those images are now though of Bobby charging flat-out with a foot of hair flying, horizontal, behind him from his bald head! Christ, could he hit the ball hard! A great player, totally professional and appeared to be a lovely bloke. Without doubt one of the most respected players to ever grace a football pitch.

RIP Bobby Charlton

The Picnic Wasp

Being honest, it's only occasionally that I feel truly saddened by the death of someone famous. This is definitely one of those occasions. A true footballing great, respected across the globe and a real gentleman. I believe he was only booked twice with one of those against Argentina, which in those days you should have received an award for. He played for Celtic once in Ron Yeats' testimonial. Celtic beat Liverpool 4-1 and Sir Bobby scored from 18 yards obviously.

RIP Sir Bobby.

Nickslikk2112

Probably the only decent person to ever turn out for ManUre.
I remember going to Saltergate to see Chesterfield play Preston NE when Bobby was managing them, he didn't play though.

Just Geoff Hurst left from the World Cup winners now.

RIP Bobby

Slim

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on October 21, 2023, 09:29:13 PMJust Geoff Hurst left from the World Cup winners now.

Didn't realise that .. but thinking about it a few of them have died in the last few years, sadly.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on October 21, 2023, 09:29:13 PMJust Geoff Hurst left from the World Cup winners now.

How fitting that Geoff's imminent departure will invoke Ken Wolstenholme's immortal line of commentary  :)

Slim

Getting off topic now but the thing I always remember Sir Geoff for, more than winning a World Cup final single-handed, is his use of the expression "nigger in the woodpile" on live television while sitting next to Garth Crooks during the 1990 World Cup coverage on the BBC.

If I remember correctly Des Lynam was talking to the pair of them about England's chances of proceeding to the final, fairly early on in the tournament. The fly in the ointment, as Geoff should have put it but sadly didn't, was West Germany.

Garth didn't bat an eyelid. Many years later I saw an interview with both of them in which Geoff expressed regret and embarrassment for what he'd said, and Garth admitted that he'd punched him on the arm as soon as the camera was off them.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Just found it on YouTube! I hadn't seen this for 33 years, and I partly misremembered it.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

I first realised how highly regarded Bobby Charlton was in the early 80s, when I was in holiday in Malta.  Not sure if it's still the case but back then they were all (or seemed to be) Man United supporters and Bobby Charlton was the one player they all wanted to speak about.  He had long hung up his boots at that point!