Main Menu

Dark Side Of The Moon

Started by Slim, March 02, 2023, 10:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Breathtaking. There's more art and music in this than the entire post-Waters Fake Floyd discography. Masterwork.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Ooh, it"ll upset a lot of people.....especially if it's good 
:D

Fishy

Nope not for me... this spoken word stuff just puts me right off.. shame cos the actual music is ok..
Waters obviously can sing  a note any more..
From The Land of Honest Men

The Picnic Wasp

Where's the no buzzer? I'm glad David Gilmour was PF for me.

dom

Definitely a situation where the whole was much greater than the sum of the individuals, for me anyway.  If I was in any camp though it would be Roger's.  He gave the band its edge

David L

I'm going to hear what Polly Samson has to say before I make up my mind

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: David L on September 22, 2023, 07:39:52 PMI'm going to hear what Polly Samson has to say before I make up my mind
Just phoned her up, she says:

Quote from: Polly SamsonIt's shit LOL
My David would do it better. So there.

Fishy

She's right.. it is pretty shit..
From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

Quote from: dom on September 22, 2023, 05:16:08 PMDefinitely a situation where the whole was much greater than the sum of the individuals, for me anyway.  If I was in any camp though it would be Roger's.  He gave the band its edge

He was the Lennon and McCartney of Floyd. Gilmour was their George Harrison at best, which is not to say that he didn't make a very important contribution, of course. But Waters was the essence of the band.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Slim on September 23, 2023, 08:40:29 AM
Quote from: dom on September 22, 2023, 05:16:08 PMDefinitely a situation where the whole was much greater than the sum of the individuals, for me anyway.  If I was in any camp though it would be Roger's.  He gave the band its edge

He was the Lennon and McCartney of Floyd. Gilmour was their George Harrison at best, which is not to say that he didn't make a very important contribution, of course. But Waters was the essence of the band.

I would respectfully disagree with that given the extent of his vocal duties, and the way in which that and his guitar work defined their sound. I appreciate that he was not a regular writing contributor in the early days, but his presence carried a lot more weight than George's in the Beatles. I still rate The Division Bell more highly than most other PF work. Maybe I'm more of a DG fan than a PF one.

Slim

We'll have to disagree on that one then. I'd go as far as to say that, strictly speaking, Gilmour was disposable. Floyd could have continued without him and retained their essence, their ethos; their meaning.

Whereas without Waters, the band that called itself Pink Floyd was a hollow facsimile, essentially a money-making exercise. No vision, no poetry, no point.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

captainkurtz

I often think of waters as being the architect and Gilmour one of the contractors employed to execute the architect's vision.  If you get a poor contractor, the end result will be terrible...Gilmour was the finest of contractors but, really, Waters was essential for having the necessary vision.

Actually, I don't often think that.  I've just made it up.  But it's a decent summation, I think.

The 2 post waters PF records - I'm not including the river one - aren't great. 

dom

I find the post Roger Floyd stuff very dull. Just no spark there at all. I'd much rather listen to The Final Cut than anything that came after

dom

Quote from: captainkurtz on September 23, 2023, 03:50:26 PMI often think of waters as being the architect and Gilmour one of the contractors employed to execute the architect's vision.  If you get a poor contractor, the end result will be terrible...Gilmour was the finest of contractors but, really, Waters was essential for having the necessary vision.

Actually, I don't often think that.  I've just made it up.  But it's a decent summation, I think.

The 2 post waters PF records - I'm not including the river one - aren't great. 

Great analogy. You should copyright that!

Nickslikk2112

And if it hadn't been for SYD then neither Waters or Gilmour would have got anywhere. Mr Barrett's your man, a wizard, a true star.