Main Menu

Dark Side Of The Moon

Started by Slim, March 02, 2023, 10:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

What is surely one of the greatest, and certainly most successful rock albums ever was released 50 years ago today. Ten years ago it had sold 45 million copies. It must have shifted another million or two since then.

I bought it myself in 1979 at the age of 19 and it was one of the first albums I upgraded to CD after I'd bought my first CD player in the early '90s. I was at Huddersfield Poly when I first bought it, a few of us had record players in the large student house I shared with 20 other students and a few of the rooms had the free poster on the wall. It got played a lot, around the house. It still seemed to be current, six years after its release.

It's also, I think, one of the best-recorded records ever without a doubt. Still sounds fantastic, half a century later.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

It is a great album. Legendary. I don't ever feel the need to play it these days though. In saying that I may give it a blast soon after your post Slim ;D
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Fishy

First album I ever got .. Christmas present I reckon in 1977.  First album I bought with my own money ie pocket money ..was Wish You Were Here
From The Land of Honest Men

Nickslikk2112

First bought a vinyl version in 1980 from Hudson's in Chesterfield. Was out with my mate Mace and on the way out we bumped into the future Mrs S and her sister, she did ask what I had bought and was approving of it. She's not that bad a lass. Mace and I then when to the Hare and Greyhound for a couple of pints of Youngers Scotch bitter and a cheese and onion cob - and to be propositioned by the local predatory homosexual. Happy Days.

Still play it now.

Matt2112

It's the 2001: A Space Odyssey of classic albums - technically way ahead of its time and artistically sublime.

Time is lyrical perfection and I enjoy performing it with my covers band.

Nick

Top album but I have never liked Money, seems out of place to my ears.

Ali

A timeless (including Time 😁) masterpiece 👌🏻

Second album I ever bought, in 1976 (following ELP's Brain Salad Surgery) and I remember recording it on one side of my first cassette, with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath occupying the other side of the C90 (having loaned it from a school mate's elder brother)...still have it somewhere 😆

Probably the album I own the most copies of, but strangely enough never did grab the Immersion boxset (although I do have the WYWH and Wall ones)

Slim

This is Roger's reimagining of Money from his soon-come redux version of DSOTM . I love this.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

Sorry didn't like that at all..obviously designed to reflect the complete lack of any singing ability that Waters now has..
Hopefully Gilmour is having a good laugh over this..

David L

Quote from: Fishy on July 24, 2023, 10:22:01 AMSorry didn't like that at all..obviously designed to reflect the complete lack of any singing ability that Waters now has..
Hopefully Gilmour is having a good laugh over this..
He'll be having a good laugh over it....if his wife tells him to

The Letter R

Ticket prices for The Palladium certainly cost a lot of errr Money  ;D

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

captainkurtz

Quote from: The Letter R on July 28, 2023, 03:34:04 PMTicket prices for The Palladium certainly cost a lot of errr Money  ;D
Made a half hearted attempt at tickets...and then saw the cost and thought...nah.

Fishy

I can't see this redux version having the same appeal after 50 years..it sounds fucking awful imho....

Fishy

Quote from: captainkurtz on July 28, 2023, 05:32:09 PM
Quote from: The Letter R on July 28, 2023, 03:34:04 PMTicket prices for The Palladium certainly cost a lot of errr Money  ;D
Made a half hearted attempt at tickets...and then saw the cost and thought...nah.

£400 .....eh fuck right off Rog.. don't think ur brothers and sisters can afford that..