Main Menu

Share a Tune With the Class

Started by Slim, February 28, 2023, 02:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

I though I'd start a thread where we might share music of interest that most people probably aren't aware of.

I was fortunate in that I had a brother ten years older than myself who let me play his records, and at the age of 8 I was very fond of this tune. Credited to 'Earl Vince and the Valiants', it was actually Fleetwood Mac, with guitar player Jeremy Spencer on vocals. Jeremy wrote this tune.

I will say though that my mum hated it, and she used to tell my brother off when she caught me listening to it.

Jeremy is from West Hartlepool. I'm proud to say that my home town has contributed guitar players to two of the most successful bands in recording history, the other one being Iron Maiden.

Anyway. I hope you like this more than my mum did.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

One day in 1976 I was thumbing through the LP racks in the various record shops of Hartlepool and I came across this one, a compilation album by the esteemed Krautrock band Can.

I'd never heard of them and to the best of my knowledge I'd never heard any of their stuff. But I was intrigued by the cover and the blurb on the back so I bought it.

This was easily the most fortuitous random album purchase of my entire life (so far, I suppose there's still time). From that album, and also from the album Future Days, this is Moonshake.

Eventually I bought all the original albums but I still have a soft spot for the original compilation so since it never came out on CD, I burned my own copy using the same tracks ripped from the various album CDs.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Pudders

Liked that - not a band I'm familiar with at all, beyond the name. Will do some digging :)

Slim

Maybe I could sort out a YouTube playlist with the various Opener tunes in the appropriate sequence - that'd be a great place to start.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Quote from: Slim on March 15, 2023, 08:09:16 PMMaybe I could sort out a YouTube playlist with the various Opener tunes in the appropriate sequence - that'd be a great place to start.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtQoLzWkVKErCqyXKlS2lcqjsyQdN_uGE
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Pudders

Nice one James, will have a listen :)

pdw1

Probably more for Matt than anyone else.
Asia - Wherever You Are
with with a young unknown guitarist by the name of Gutherie Govan

Slim

I don't remember exactly when or where I discovered Jerry Paper. Probably about four years ago, probably a chance hearing on 6 Music.

Jerry isn't actually a real person, he's more a persona; a project - a bit like Ziggy Stardust. Anyway clearly this sort of thing will appeal to people with a sense of humour but more than that; more than the quirky charm, the songs are brilliant.

This is a live recording but the official videos are usually pure genius.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Quote from: pdw1 on March 23, 2023, 11:48:30 PMProbably more for Matt than anyone else.
Asia - Wherever You Are

Guthrie explains how he got the job playing on an Asia record (which led to touring with them) here, 35 mins in:

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pdw1

Quote from: Slim on March 29, 2023, 07:45:53 PM
Quote from: pdw1 on March 23, 2023, 11:48:30 PMProbably more for Matt than anyone else.
Asia - Wherever You Are
Guthrie explains how he got the job playing on an Asia record (which led to touring with them) here, 35 mins in:
Thanks

Matt2112

Asia - Wherever You Are

Well, thanks. :)

Don't like the track though; very plodding and no discernible hooks - sorry! 🙂

pxr5

This is one of those tracks that just hit me when I was watching MTV one day some years ago and I listened to it constantly for weeks. I listened to more of their stuff but none of it is as spectacular, or grabbed me, as this. Ladies and Gents: Lambchop - Up With People.

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Fishy

Cheese and Onions https://g.co/kgs/EnNGkM

The Rutles

A masterclass from Neil Innes in nicking all the hooks and familiar tunes from the Beatles and turning them into a wonderful new bunch of songs
The film itself is just great and funny and so spot on
From The Land of Honest Men

Thenop

I'm sure eveyone and their dog has heard this by now,. but in case you missed it, Page shared his demo idea for the Rain Song "The Seasons" and it's great. I am happy it turned into the majestic Rain Song we all know, but this is a great listen.