What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc

Started by pxr5, February 23, 2022, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

Completed the Dahmer series tonight: Dahmer - Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story. Maybe 3 or 4 episodes too long. I'm sure Evan Peters deserves an award for his portrayal of Dahmer, but due to the subject matter he likely won't. 8/10
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

R6GYY

Quantum Leap 2022

4 episodes watched now, and it is getting better as it develops. It definitely helps this new series having some of the action take place 'back home' as it were in current day Quantum Leap time as the team try to figure out what happened and Why did Ben leap?

Great stuff and we are lapping it up. We will go back and watch the original 5 seasons of Quantum Leap when we are done with this.

I think I read somewhere that season 1 of Quantum Leap 2022 has already been extended.

Fishy

Operation Mincemeat.. great film and music by the wonderful Thomas Newman
From The Land of Honest Men

R6GYY

Quote from: R6GYY on October 16, 2022, 03:10:26 PMQuantum Leap 2022
I think I read somewhere that season 1 of Quantum Leap 2022 has already been extended.

Indeed I did. Originally to run 12 episodes, NBC have ordered 6 more to bring season 1 up to 18 episodes.

Fishy

Starting on the new Netflix The Watcher

pxr5

Quote from: Fishy on October 16, 2022, 08:03:43 PMStarting on the new Netflix The Watcher
With Naomi Watts, yes I'll be watching this one soon too.

pxr5

We watched the first 4 episodes of Paper Girls tonight. This one flew under the radar somewhat and it wasn't publicised much by Amazon. Which is a shame as it's really quite good. 4 young girls from 1988 find themselves transported to 2019 in the midst of a future battle. It is sci-fi but also very character driven. It's fun to see the girls meet their future selves and relatives too. Of course comparisons have been made to Stranger Things, but this is better in my opinion (and it's based on a comic book that pre dates Stranger Things). 9/10 so far. 

David L

Just watched the first episode of The Midnight Club on Netflix

Fishy

Quote from: Fishy on October 16, 2022, 08:03:43 PMStarting on the new Netflix The Watcher
It's a bit shit really.. one episode to go...

R6GYY

First episode of The Peripheral on Amazon Prime.

Looks promising so far - based on a William Gibson book (which I haven't read).

pxr5

A movie last night. Day Shift with Jamie Foxx about a modern day vampire hunter in LA. The story is typical Hollywood garbage and the script isn't much better. But these serve only to showcase the tremendous effects, particularly in the fight and chase scenes. I read that many of the vampires were played by out of work circus performers (to give them work during covid) and you can see how well this translates into the packed action sequences with some mind-blowing contortions. In the car chase scenes drones are you to embellish the filming that I've never seen before and it certainly adds another dimension to these stunts (though I think it will become common place in time). Story 2/10, effects and action 10/10, so an average of 6/10

R6GYY

Quote from: R6GYY on October 21, 2022, 10:43:37 PMFirst episode of The Peripheral on Amazon Prime.

Looks promising so far - based on a William Gibson book (which I haven't read).
I actually watched episode 2 last night after I realised that they had released the first 2 episodes yesterday.

I read somewhere that this is a bit 'dumbed down' from the book but that is ok. I know from experience that Gibson can be difficult to read.

This is shaping up quite well though, with influences from all over the place. Tenet / Altered Carbon / Westworld spring to mind.

This series was developed by the makers of Westworld, so no great surprise there I guess.

Matt2112

Licorice Pizza

Director Paul Thomas Anderson is on terrific form with this semi-autobiographical, nostalgic, unconventional, freewheeling 70s-set coming-of-age comedy/romance.

This is over 2 hours long, but engaged and endeared me so much I would have been more than happy had it gone on for another hour.

Debutantes Alana Haim and Cooper (son of the late Philip Seymour) Hoffman are utterly irresistible as an oddball will-they-won't-they couple, and the cameos from rather more familiar and established names are all excellent, with one in particular I'm still smiling about almost 24 hours later.

Perfect, classy viewing for a Friday night with a few tinnies; warmly recommended.

Rating: ****

Fishy

pxr5

House of the Dragon - 2 episodes in. Set 200 years before Game of Thrones. It's a good story, but the scale is nowhere near that of GoT. It's dark a lot of the time too and the odd daytime shot is a relief.