What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc

Started by pxr5, February 23, 2022, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

Time for more Zombies (my wife's choice btw). The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live - this tells the story of Rick and Michonne. Like the Daryl Dixon spin-off this is leagues above the last series of TWD and FTWD. 
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

dom

Finished Slow Horses- great stuff to can't wait for Season 4

Fishy

From The Land of Honest Men

pxr5

Started on 3 Body Problem last night. Based on a Chinese sci-fi story it's a slow build and lots of odd things going on between present day London and 1960/70s China. An interesting take on a well trodden theme. I'm really liking it so far.

Fishy

dom

The Mighty - really good film with a very young Kieron Culkin (film was made in 1998), Sharon Stone, Gillian Anderson, Meatloaf and James Gandolfini. Highly recommended

R6GYY

Sian and I enjoyed watching series 1 of Whitstable Pearl on UKTvPlay, although the UKTvPlay app itself is rubbish.

Found that series 2 is available on AcornTV, so have started a 14 day free trial. Won't take 14 days to watch 6 episodes. We watched 2 last night  :)

pxr5

I've just watched episode 5 of 3 Body Problem. Just wow - brilliant. If you do start watching it just accept the first 4 episodes as scene setters, even if they seem a bit weird and silly. It will make sense later on. This episodes also has one of the best scenes/effects I've ever seen, just stunning.

captainkurtz

Quote from: captainkurtz on March 30, 2024, 12:59:59 PMStarted watching Bad Sisters on Apple TV.

Good first episode..
1 episode left.  Brilliant.

Fishy

Last ever ep of CYE.. wasn't the best.  But it's been a pretty pretty good 12 seasons

pxr5

We only managed the penultimate episode last night of 3BP as the missus was nodding off. Turns out there is a Chinese version of 3 Body Problem from last year too which I'll watch (30x 1 hour episodes though opposed to the Netflix 8 episodes - wow). I'll reads the 3 books too - if I really like a TV show based on a book I'll always go and dig out the book to read - my wife doesn't understand that at all as she thinks it's daft to read something you know what's going to happen. Me, I just like the detail a book gives that a TV show/movie can rarely provide.

Thenop

Quote from: pxr5 on April 10, 2024, 02:30:33 PMWe only managed the penultimate episode last night of 3BP as the missus was nodding off. Turns out there is a Chinese version of 3 Body Problem from last year too which I'll watch (30x 1 hour episodes though opposed to the Netflix 8 episodes - wow). I'll reads the 3 books too - if I really like a TV show based on a book I'll always go and dig out the book to read - my wife doesn't understand that at all as she thinks it's daft to read something you know what's going to happen. Me, I just like the detail a book gives that a TV show/movie can rarely provide.

I read the books in English and then again then they became available in Dutch. I am on the lookout for the 30 episode Chinese version.
Agree it is a brilliant show.

Fishy

Thought I'd watch The Eagle has landed last night for old times sake...managed about 40 mins.. just absurd with Michael Caine as. German officer and Donald Sutherland being Donald Sutherland with a woeful Irish accent and Robert Duvall with an eye patch and fake German accent.. just shit really...

R6GYY

Quote from: pxr5 on March 08, 2024, 10:32:45 PMArgylle - I had very, very low expectations of this movie due to the scathing reviews. Maybe it's me then as I really liked it (my wife did too). Okay, maybe it was 20 minutes too long but it was funny and action packed. You sort of know what to expect with Matthew Vaughn (Stardust, Layer Cake, Kick Ass, Kingsman etc.) and to me this didn't disappoint. 8/10
Agreed. Best part for me was Sam Rockwell. I remember him from serious roles in Moon and Three Billboards...

He was such a joy in this.

It does lose its way a little towards the end and perhaps could have done with a little trimming, but it is great tongue-in-cheek fun.

pxr5

We began watching Fallout last night. I know of the game from when I watched my lad playing it when he was younger. This TV series is a blast: humorous, gory, action-packed, a good story - definitely our sort of show. 2 episodes of 8 watched so far - brilliant.