What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc

Started by pxr5, February 23, 2022, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Lenses

Been a while and I have watched a lot of stuff with not really taking it all in :-
Copenhagen Cowboy (Netflix), exactly the type of series you would expect from Nicolas Winding Refn (8/10)
Treason (Neflix), 1st time i've seen Daredevil actor Charlie Cox in a UK show (8/10)
Tehran Season 2 (Apple TV), superb again and getting another season (9/10)
Echo 3 (Apple TV), based on an Israeli series and fairly zips along (8/10)
Jack Ryan Season 3 (Amazon), good stuff and pertinent to what is going on in Europe this now (8/10)
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Paramount+), really enjoyed this & like where its going (8/10)
The Rig (Amazon), so so (6/10)
In From The Cold (Netflix), stopped watching after 4 episodes.
The Midnight Club (Netflix), the 1st episode must make you jump at least half a dozen times (8/10).
Dead To Me Season 3 (Netflix), sad end to an enjoyable show (8/10).
Silent Witness Season ?(BBC), one I watch with the wife and I do enjoy it (7/10)
Mayans Season 4 (Disney+), ticking along nicely and lots of loose ends at the end of the season (8/10)
Andor (Disney+), maybe mentioned this before but definitely the best Star Wars so far for me (9/10)
The Bear (Disney+), enjoyed it but I think most folk won't (8/10)
and loads more I have forgotten.

Currently watching Fauda Season 4 (Netflix) and weekly watching Curse of Oak Island (sucker for these shows) and have started to weekly download The Last Of Us which is getting great reviews so far.
Sci-Fi movie I have been waiting on has just landed on Netflix - Vesper (will watch Monday or Tuesday).

pxr5

^ Vesper is OK; it's not brilliant but certainly a decent watch. It's a bit grim though.

I'm waiting for all episodes of The Last of Us before watching (I hate waiting a week between eps) and I've got The Midnight Club on my to-watch list.

Next TV show we'll be watching here will be series 2 of Alice in Borderland - the first series was brilliant.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Fishy

Polished off Night Sky... shame it got cancelled..back to Servant Season 4
From The Land of Honest Men

pxr5

A couple of recent horror movies:

First Countdown from 2019 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10039344/. It's similar to Final Destination, but in this case our victims download an app called Countdown which tells the user when they will die (to the second). Not bad if it's 60 years, but more worrying when it's days or hours as befalls our subjects, with no way of stopping it (which they try to do of course). It's a short movie and quite well done as it could have been the normal crapfest; but this one raises it's head above the rest - slightly. 6.5/10.

Next up from 2022 is Barbarian https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15791034/. This is one of the better horror movies I've seen for a while. The IMDb trailer shows footage of real audiences reacting to the scares (like in The Brood in the late 1970s if anyone remembers that) and whilst there are some very well played out jump scenes it's the simplicity of the movie and the way it's executed that makes it so appealing to horror lovers. It's a no frills, in your face basic horror akin maybe to something like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Of course there are some daft moments, but these have to be there to keep the story moving along. Good stuff 8.5/10

Fishy

Fishy

Matt2112

The Worst Person In The World

A Nordic arthouse picture that found a natural home with snootier critics but I found far less impressive.

Basically it follows an accomplished woman on the cusp of her thirties as she tries to find contentment in her life; unfortunately she seems unable to find it as she makes her way through relationships that are initially exciting but fade into drudgery, seemingly making her convinced the grass must always be greener on the other side.

There's no doubt of the film's technical proficiencies - it's shot and acted very well - but I just got the impression the script is not half as insightful and "profound" as it thinks it is.  Overall the story arc just reminded me of a school child who gets easily bored working through a Netflix series and so abandons it for another, wasting a lot of time before eventually realising maybe the original choice might have been the best.  Except here it's applied to a near-thirty-year-old working through a series of nice, attractive men, neurotically over-thinking everything as she goes, for over two hours. 

So with all the goodwill in the world that I give any kind of film, unfortunately this one - while it has some laudable qualities - just didn't resonate with me at all.

Rating: **

dom

After seeing all the recommendations on here I decided to give The White Lotus a whirl.  Wow
 what a great show Brilliant stuff.  Season 1 done and 2 episodes left of season 2.  And to think I wouldn't have heard of it without this site!

pxr5

The Pale Blue Eyehttps://www.imdb.com/title/tt14138650/A world-weary detective is hired to investigate the murder of a West Point cadet. Stymied by the cadets' code of silence, he enlists one of their own to help unravel the case - a young man the world would come to know as Edgar Allan Poe. Set in 1830 Christian Bale's dour detective is joined by a young Edgar Allan Poe (brilliantly played by Harry Melling) to solve the gruesome death of a West Point Cadet. I like it a lot, my wife not so much. It's grim and gothic feeling and it captures the time and place excellently. All the cast are very good, but the script is a little weak and the pacing suffers consequently. However it keeps you gripped throughout with a neat twist at the end. Well worth a watch 8/10

Fishy

Quote from: dom on February 01, 2023, 04:50:52 PMAfter seeing all the recommendations on here I decided to give The White Lotus a whirl.  Wow
 what a great show Brilliant stuff.  Season 1 done and 2 episodes left of season 2.  And to think I wouldn't have heard of it without this site!

Yes it's very good👍

Nick

Quote from: Fishy on February 01, 2023, 07:19:15 PM
Quote from: dom on February 01, 2023, 04:50:52 PMAfter seeing all the recommendations on here I decided to give The White Lotus a whirl.  Wow

Yes it's very good👍

Agree, one of the best series of recent times, amazing that two different casts have been so strong.

David L

Started watching the Channel 5 four-part drama/thriller, The Catch. it actually started last week so we did the first episode on catch-up and set the OVR fir series record (at least that will allow us to ff through the ads).
My interest was piqued by an interview on Vanessa Feltz's Talk TV show with The Catch's male lead, Jason Watkins.
Looks like it could be entertaining.

Red Lenses

Quote from: pxr5 on January 29, 2023, 02:41:45 PM^ Vesper is OK; it's not brilliant but certainly a decent watch. It's a bit grim though.

I'm waiting for all episodes of The Last of Us before watching (I hate waiting a week between eps) and I've got The Midnight Club on my to-watch list.

Next TV show we'll be watching here will be series 2 of Alice in Borderland - the first series was brilliant.

Vesper was ok, I thought it would be more than it was....too much that we didn't get to see !!
Watched Alice In Borderland Season 2 from the day it came out, as good as the first season.
Finished Fauda Season 4 (Netflix), very good again (8/10).

Started on Star Trek Discovery Season 4 (Paramount+) even though the 3rd season wasn't the best.

pxr5

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery  I wasn't that keen on the first one, and this sequel has a similarly disappointing vibe. It was OK, but just not much of a mystery/whodunnit. All the cast were good, but the story/script simply wasn't good enough. The start was slow, the middle a bit more exciting and a crappy conclusion. Someone else needs to write these I think. 5.5/10

Matt2112

Quote from: pxr5 on February 02, 2023, 02:24:01 PMGlass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery  I wasn't that keen on the first one, and this sequel has a similarly disappointing vibe. It was OK, but just not much of a mystery/whodunnit. All the cast were good, but the story/script simply wasn't good enough. The start was slow, the middle a bit more exciting and a crappy conclusion. Someone else needs to write these I think. 5.5/10

Agreed.  The first one was quite entertaining but in the second one Rian Johnson was so keen to include "clever" little details like subtle portents and call-backs that he forgot to make the actual plot in any way gripping.  It does have a Rush poster in it though, so credit where it's due. :)