What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc

Started by pxr5, February 23, 2022, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Saw this at our local Vue with the little 'un, who enjoys the odd game of Super Mario Kart on our Nintendo Switch and was keen to see this.

It's basically a thinly-plotted, manic 90-minute ride through scenarios familiar from the games, with eye-popping visuals and a constant stream of Easter Eggs serving as mostly unsubtle nods and winks to fans.

What was actually quite refreshing was that this is aimed squarely at kids and kids only - there's virtually no knowing, nudge-nudge gags for accompanying adults and the knockabout humour is all played with a very straight bat, save for perhaps one line which made me smile at how purposely bathetic it was.

There's no Lego Movie cleverness or Pixar emotional profundity here - its brief is purely to entertain and serve its characters' fans, which it does perfectly adequately.

Rating: ***

captainkurtz

Rewatching Succession from the beginning.  TV at its finest.

Red Lenses

Couple of movies :-
Equalizer 2 ..... Denzel Washington being Denzel Washington and an easy watch (7/10)
Welcome To The Punch .... James McAvoy and Mark Strong, not a bad watch (7/10)

ITV Unforgotten Season 5, still a good watch (8/10).

R6GYY

Nick

Fishy

Finished off Blue Lights.. best telly for a while...
From The Land of Honest Men

Matt2112

Quote from: Fishy on April 12, 2023, 09:21:33 AMFinished off Blue Lights.. best telly for a while...

Heard a lot of good things about it, so might well investigate (swidt).

R6GYY

We are now half way through Blue Lights, and another thumbs up from us here. Probably watch episode 4 tonight.

What else?

Started on the new series of Masterchef.

Looking forward to the final series of Paul O'Grady's For The Love Of Dogs which starts tomorrow night at 8:30.

Fishy

3 eps in on Beef the new Netflix thing... quite good so far
From The Land of Honest Men

R6GYY

Finished off Blue Lights last night with back-to-back episodes 5 and 6.

We couldn't go to sleep without knowing what-happens-next after the end of episode 5.

Terrific.

Thanks for Fishy for introducing me to this. Thumbs up!

Matt2112

X

Was meaning to watch this for ages and with its prequel Pearl just being released I was spurred into action.

This is a slasher horror based in 1979 and shot as if it was made in that year - and quite brilliantly so.

But this has many other things that sets it apart from inevitable comparisons to The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and the current crowded retro-horror field as it deftly weaves through various themes and tonal shifts.  There's buckets of blood and gore (not for the squeamish), scares (not cheap jump-scares) and a terrific sense of the uncanny while it somehow manages to deconstruct itself the way the Scream franchise once did quite successfully, whereas where Scream relies on audience knowledge, this assumes audience intelligence.

It's very well performed by all the cast and Ti West's skilful direction is very impressive indeed.

For me this is one of the best horror films of the 2020s and highly, enthusiastically recommended. (Available on Amazon Prime).

Rating: ****

pxr5

65 with Adam Driver. An alien (who oddly looks human and speaks English) from 65 million years ago crash lands his spaceship on a dinosaur filled earth. Hmm, yeah right. Anyway Driver is great as always but with this outline the film should be exciting as he, and a cargo passenger recovered from stasis, attempt to get to their escape ship before the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs hits. But it's rather dull. Which is a shame really and a bit of a wasted opportunity. At least it's short - 5/10
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

pxr5

At my wife's behest we started on series 1 of White Lotus last night. Not the sort of TV we normally go for, it's mainly sci-fi or horror for us. But this is rather enjoyable and quite funny at times. We could have done without an eyeful of cock and balls in the the first episode though lol. Hawaii looks gorgeous too.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

dom

Quote from: pxr5 on April 17, 2023, 10:53:53 AMAt my wife's behest we started on series 1 of White Lotus last night. Not the sort of TV we normally go for, it's mainly sci-fi or horror for us. But this is rather enjoyable and quite funny at times. We could have done without an eyeful of cock and balls in the the first episode though lol. Hawaii looks gorgeous too.

Brilliant show!  Both seasons!

Red Lenses

Rattled through Blue Lights, superb stuff and we're getting a second season (9/10).
The Night Agent (NetFlix), very decent watch and kept me interested throughout (8/10).