What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc

Started by pxr5, February 23, 2022, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

Just finished the second, and final, series of Carnival Row. It's not as good as the first series and it seemed a bit rushed to a conclusion. Nevertheless, still an enjoyable ride. 7/10 this season 8/10 overall
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Fishy

Magpie Murders on the beeb.. it's great
From The Land of Honest Men

Matt2112

Puss In Boots: The Last Wish

Saw this at the local Vue with the (increasingly not so) little 'un.

The first half is very good indeed: it's chock full of visual wit and snappy dialogue and includes a truly outstanding scene set in a dingy bar where Puss meets Wolf, a brilliantly fearsome character who represents Death; the Grim Reaper in all but name. It's been a few hours now but I still can't get this sequence out of my head. I notice Ethan Coen has an additional writer credit so he surely had substantial input in this bit.

It seemed though that the more the film went on, the more Coen's influence waned as it fell into more by-numbers Dreamworks territory.

Still, this is obviously best enjoyed by the pre-teen demographic that are its natural audience and it's certainly worth the trip out.

Rating: ***

pxr5

Hoorah, Married at First Sight Australia has finished at last (36 hideous episodes worth). So, got back some proper TV watching and started with Anne Rice's Mayfair Witches last night with the stunning Alexandra Daddario. I wasn't expecting much as the reviews are distinctly average, but I really enjoyed the first 2 episodes. A bit slow in places but a decent story to keep things moving along.

Fishy

R6GYY

Sian and I watched the first episode of The Terminal List last night, and both enjoyed it.

Fishy

dom

R6GYY

Guy Ritchie's new film on Amazon Prime: Operation Fortune: Ruse De Guerres

I will be kind to this film and say that it is not Ritchie's best work. Others seemed to have liked it a lot though.

pxr5

Inside - With Willem Dafoe as an art thief who gets trapped in a luxury apartment after a burglary goes wrong. It's like Castaway, but this time, erm, inside. It's a bit far-fetched and some of the things he does are odd decisions. The problem though is it's too long at 1hr45min; as despite Willem Dafoe being an excellent actor it's a big ask for anyone to carry a film alone. It goes a bit odd at the end too. I enjoyed it overall (my wife didn't) and I've thought about it a few times today. 7.5/10

dom

The Bank of Dave. Falls into all those Feel Good Northern based film tropes.

Baddie Southern Bankers meant that the clichés kept coming.

Still, based on a true story, you can only be impressed by Dave (played by Rory Kinnear) for what he achieved and it was a decent yarn. A must watch if you're a fan of Def Leppsrd.

pxr5

Shazam! Fury of the Gods - The first movie was a surprising hit - a decent, funny watch. This sequel  on the other hand is complete garbage. How on earth can the makers get something so wrong? All they needed to do was keep it simple and employ the same writers. But no, we get this abomination instead and 2hr10mins of it too. It has no redeeming features whatsoever. Horrid 1/10

R6GYY

Couple of episodes of Blue Lights last night.

Fishy

Quote from: R6GYY on April 09, 2023, 06:00:14 PMCouple of episodes of Blue Lights last night.
It's very good isn't it?

dom

Down to the last episode of 'The Responder'. Excellent tv! Martin Freeman is a brilliant actor