What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc

Started by pxr5, February 23, 2022, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

Series 11 of American Horror Story. This totally passed me by, so eventually started on it last night. This time it's called American Horror Story - NYC, set in the 80s and focuses on a string of killings involving gay men and the emergence of a new virus. Russell Tovey is excellent as a gay New York cop with a perfect American accent and it's a seedy romp in typical AHS fashion. Only a few of the recurring actors have shown up so far (2 eps in), so no Evan Peter or Sarah Paulson as yet. It's good so far and I'm intrigued to see how this plays out.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

pxr5

Just finished Series 11 of American Horror Story and it wasn't good. Despite an interesting beginning it rambled on to an extremely unsatisfactory conclusion. This has happened a few times in AHS where an interesting premise meanders on to nothing, almost like the writers were making it up as they went along. A shame really as it showed promise and the setting, acting and feel of the show was excellent. 3/10

Sounds like Christopher Nolan was involved. ;)

Red Lenses

Watched The Old Man (Disney+) starring Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow this past week, excellent TV with a Jason Bourne vibe to it and renewed for a 2nd season - 9/10.

Started watching Full Swing (Netflix) golf documentary, 3 episodes in and interesting enough so far.

pxr5

Quote from: pxr5 on March 01, 2023, 10:07:58 PMJust finished Series 11 of American Horror Story and it wasn't good. Despite an interesting beginning it rambled on to an extremely unsatisfactory conclusion. This has happened a few times in AHS where an interesting premise meanders on to nothing, almost like the writers were making it up as they went along. A shame really as it showed promise and the setting, acting and feel of the show was excellent. 3/10

Maybe I'm losing my mind but I don't have any recollection of that text in red and nor would it would be something I'd write. Was it edited by someone with privilege? 

R6GYY

Yesterday I caught up with The Mandalorian Season 3 episode 1 on Disney+.

Cracking start. Even though the actual episode was only about 35 minutes including credits (which are nice viewing too for the artwork), it packed a lot in.

Great stuff.

Matt2112

Quote from: pxr5 on March 05, 2023, 01:55:23 PM
Quote from: pxr5 on March 01, 2023, 10:07:58 PMJust finished Series 11 of American Horror Story and it wasn't good. Despite an interesting beginning it rambled on to an extremely unsatisfactory conclusion. This has happened a few times in AHS where an interesting premise meanders on to nothing, almost like the writers were making it up as they went along. A shame really as it showed promise and the setting, acting and feel of the show was excellent. 3/10

Maybe I'm losing my mind but I don't have any recollection of that text in red and nor would it would be something I'd write. Was it edited by someone with privilege?

That was my reply, not sure what happened with it.

pxr5

Quote from: Matt2112 on March 05, 2023, 07:13:48 PM

Weird  ???

Fishy

From The Land of Honest Men

pxr5

La Brea Season 2. Why oh why am I watching this drivel? The first season was awful, and this is worse - a whole 14 episodes too. But something is compelling me to watch it and it is fitting into that SBIG (So Bad It's Good) criteria - which makes it unintentionally hilarious at times.

Matt2112

Quote from: pxr5 on March 05, 2023, 07:46:24 PM
Quote from: Matt2112 on March 05, 2023, 07:13:48 PM

Weird  ???

It's me, I pressed a mod button instead of the reply button. Apologies!

pxr5

I deserve a medal for completing series 2 of La Brea (I doubt many others have achieved such an amazing feat). It's truly appalling 1/10

Anyway to cleanse my brain I started watching Guillermo Del Toros Cabinet of Curiosities and managed the first 3 eps last night. I love these type of short horror stories and each one had its merits. Hopefully the rest are as good.

pxr5

Watching the 2018 Haken - L-1ve concert on DVD, filmed in Amsterdam. Pretty good it is too.

Matt2112

Hidden Figures

On the to-watch list for literally years, and very glad I finally got round to it.

Somehow this manages to be both a spotlight on an historical outrage and rollicking good entertainment.

Yes, it pushes your buttons hard at times, but the irony of the astounding human achievement of safely getting a person into space and back against the institutional racial segregation of those working to make it happen is always present - and correct.

Rating: ****

dom

Watched a film from the turn of the Century last night, featuring a young James Naisbitt and even younger Kris Marshall. Plenty of other recognisable faces in "The Most Fertile Man in Ireland". Shallow but entertaining

Fishy

From The Land of Honest Men