What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc

Started by pxr5, February 23, 2022, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

Have whizzed through Season 1, and am now 2 episodes into Season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery

pxr5

We completed Series 2 of Alice in Borderland last night and brilliant it was too. It came to a conclusion but with a possibility of more to come. However the manga comic it's based on did not carry on past this point so we'll have to wait and see. For me, they can carry on - it's superb 9.5/10
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

dom

Finished the last Happy Valley and went back to S1 Ep1. Lordy, Sarah Lancashire has aged, bit like us all

Matt2112

All Quiet On The Western Front

Multiple Oscar nominations propelled this up the to-watch list and I finally got round to it last night.

It reminded me of Sam Mendes's 1917 in that it's so technically accomplished it actually kind of distracts from becoming engrossed in the film.  I think it will win the award for its utterly lush cinematography - it would be well deserved.

Narratively, there are of course plenty of powerful sequences depicting life (and death) on the front line, all tremendously and sympathetically performed by an excellent cast.

But then for the last half hour of its 140 minutes, it seemed to rather unnecessarily smuggle in a bunch of Hollywood tropes, sacrificing historical accuracy for dramatic license - a shame that, as it struck me to have the opposite effect to that intended.

Still, well worth seeing overall.

Rating: ***

R6GYY

Just finished season 2 of Star Trek : Discovery.

Bloody hell that was good and I can see why Anson Mount has become a fan favourite as Captain Christopher Pike. He is terrific!

But I think I will continue on with Discovery season 3 now, and keep Strange New Worlds for later.

R6GYY

Thunderbirds "Anniversary" episodes on ITVX.

Fishy

Better.. the new BBC drama it's very good
From The Land of Honest Men

Red Lenses

Station Eleven (HBO Max), superb story telling after a world wide pandemic (9/10)

Started on City On A Hill (Paramount+) last night.

Red Lenses

Quote from: R6GYY on February 12, 2023, 07:08:25 PMJust finished season 2 of Star Trek : Discovery.

Bloody hell that was good and I can see why Anson Mount has become a fan favourite as Captain Christopher Pike. He is terrific!

But I think I will continue on with Discovery season 3 now, and keep Strange New Worlds for later.

Its all downhill from now (Season 3 onwards) with Discovery.
Strange New Worlds is excellent.

pxr5

Quote from: Red Lenses on February 16, 2023, 12:27:30 PMStation Eleven (HBO Max), superb story telling after a world wide pandemic (9/10)

Started on City On A Hill (Paramount+) last night.
Station Eleven is great. I'd recommend the book too - it's slightly different, but still good.

David L

The Billionaires Who Made Our World: Bill Gates.

Ch4 documentary exploring the rise, fall and rise again.

Wow! By insiders who know. Con man

pxr5

Infinity Pool  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10365998/  Directed by Brandon Cronenberg, son of David, it seems too that he can make crap films like his father (see Existenz, Naked Lunch). The idea seems good, it's just so poorly executed. It's set at a holiday complex in a fictional country where James (Alexander SkarsgĂ„rd) accidentally kills a local whilst driving from a beach. When arrested he is given the option of having a clone created to suffer an execution by the son of the dead local. Sounds promising so far, but soon spirals down into the weird and surreal and goes nowhere. if tempted, honestly don't bother. 2/10

pxr5

Currently half way through The Midnight Club - made by Mike Flangan (He of the The Haunting of Hill House, The Haunting of Blythe Manor, Midnight Mass - all excellent). Set in 1994 this series is based on a Christopher Pike novel about a group of terminally ill teenagers at a hospice who tell each other ghost/horror stories as well as investigating mysterious goings on from the past. It's quite slow going, but the acting and script are top notch. I'll reserve judgement on the story itself as it pans out. So far though - 8/10

David L

Quote from: pxr5 on February 21, 2023, 11:13:04 AMCurrently half way through The Midnight Club - made by Mike Flangan (He of the The Haunting of Hill House, The Haunting of Blythe Manor, Midnight Mass - all excellent). Set in 1994 this series is based on a Christopher Pike novel about a group of terminally ill teenagers at a hospice who tell each other ghost/horror stories as well as investigating mysterious goings on from the past. It's quite slow going, but the acting and script are top notch. I'll reserve judgement on the story itself as it pans out. So far though - 8/10
Started it but lost interest  :-\